MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

The one behind the glass on display is a bit better:

741fdfb8cbde11e1a94522000a1e8aaf_7.jpg

Still some problems with the enlarged holographic honeycomb but much better.

The one they are having loose is to be handled by the public and used to show the glide function. The one behind the glass is the final prototype.

tumblr_m71d8lOHdS1r3eltro1_1280.jpg

The one they are having loose is to be handled by the public and used to show the glide function. The one behind the glass is the final prototype. ...

They both look terrible. I think, their Hoverboards will be a mass product. A nice toy for the kids out there, but nothing useful for prop collectors. :confused

Oh lord. I wonder why some of you ever bother with these Mattel threads. You were never going to be satisfied because a bigger company was in your yard.

I wonder what they did get right. Are the boards color matched? If they're going decals in favor of accurate materials will there still be room for upgrades?

Instead of check out our cool glide feature which probably can barely be heard of the roar of the crowd why not brag about accuracy? It'd be great to know they got the board the exact shape, and which specific prop they referenced for the details.

Im staying optimistic, and this is coming from the guy who wasnt satisfied with the 25th Madrid Valterra skateboard and built an original from vintage everything. Im still holding out hope, and will remain preordered.

...can always unload on that auction site.

Im very sad....

...because hoverboard.co.uk doesn't make boards anymore... Finally (after all these pics and vids of the matty board) I want to have one of his boards... :unsure

After watching that video... what's up with the umpteen screw holes in the bottom too? They couldn't figure out a way to secure it together with the 10 existing screws on the plate holders and block?

Like others have said... will wait til a few more months development have passed... and hope this is just a rush job for comic-con, but if not :thumbsdown

Small glimmer of hope in that youtube video. At 1:09, the little sign says "Final colors, sculpt, deco, and accessories may vary from the sample shown."

Have my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

The big issue on the boards looks to be the pink holographic sections as well the lack of use of velcro as used on the original boards. Reference of a original board can be seen here:

ScreenUsed Mattel Hoverboard - YouTube

I expect some variation based on the plastic board design, the consolidation of the applied graphics and set screws to replace the batteries for the electronics and HEY, ITS A TOY, not supposed to be a perfect replica.

It would be nice of they could use the velcro as the original boards did and if they could nail down the graphics tighter to the original board. However it should be noted that there were several boards used in the movie with varying graphics and that if things are off by a millimeter, given they talked with the original maker and looked at the left over sample, it is not killer to me for such a slight variation.

All in all, looks like it still needs work but well on the way to being a good replica.

Agreed, this does need some work, but I doubt it's going to get much better.
People are either going to have to live with it or modify it.

Bttf123 still makes the best replica of this prop hands down.

Seriously?

I owned one of his boards, it was pretty nice, but what bothered me, was the foam. after some time it had some scratches and white spots, some stripe were loose, so the holographic foil... And it was very vulnerable for dust and not easy to clean...

My next hoverboard will be from plastic, even if thats not screenacurate...

Seriously?

I owned one of his boards, it was pretty nice, but what bothered me, was the foam. after some time it had some scratches and white spots, some stripe were loose, so the holographic foil... And it was very vulnerable for dust and not easy to clean...

Really? Sounds like this board will look very screen accurate after a while. :lol

No, seriously: I don't want to have a "perfect" looking Hoverboard. I want to have a board that looks like a 20 years old screen used one to have the illusion of owning an original one and not just a replica. Something like that (but WITH footpad, of course):

attachment.php

Then, you're too late. My BTTF123* board looked like this. only with footpad... :lol

Sold it, because I want to have one, that looks new... Sold it to the webmaster of the german BTTF fansite. He ordered a Matty board, so he tried to re-sell my board again... :rolleyes :lol

Wouldn't it be pretty easy to add velcro though to the Mattel one? Some things look like they'd be easy to mod for more accuracy.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back