MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

"These will not be that limited and Mattel has already said that if the sales do well (which they will) then they will most likely re-release these and possibly with the handle bars."

Matty's marketing department is absolutely positively frightened of producing these, has NO idea of how many of any of their props would sell and ALWAYS takes the safe low production create a profit business plan into consideration. That is why there is such a secondary market for what they have produced already.

They are starting to learn, with this order they let demand dictate the production numbers but did not consider the overall market, just a specialty and what word got out through "other" sources such as CNN in this case and the Micheal J Fox foundation.

They also are trying a first with re-marketing their PKE meter, and if they undersell, you will see them go back to their ultra teeny tiny lets make absolutely sure we don't make too much of a profit or ANY loss target production numbers.

About two days into the sale, they had the expected amount ordered they were planning for the complete production run. Sad stuff they don't have confidence in what they are producing.

It's not just the props. Everything Matty Collector produces seems to be in low numbers and scalp-tastic. I've seen a lot of complaints about the Masters of the Universe line.

In the beginning, all you could do was fight your way through their website on release day and hope you could get an order through before the entire stock was extinguished. Fans complained. Completists wanted to get the whole line and were missing out due to a frustrating distribution method and low production numbers.

Matty responded. They opened up a Collector's Club where, at the beginning of the year, you could prepurchase every figure in the line. As well as club exclusive figure. Matty found a way to strong arm the same collectors into paying for 12 regular figures, 4 variants, 4 packs, and an exclusive all up front...and because the complaint was that they weren't able to buy them all regularly, you now needed the subscription if you wanted the years exclusive to complete the set.

Then fans complained again -- they now had a way to guarantee they'd get the figure they wanted, but were left with purchasing a ton they did not. Matty's response? Produce less non-club stock. Reducing the numbers produced drives up secondary market values so that subscribers can sell the characters they don't want. And yes, Matty publicly stated they were trying to drive up secondary market value for this reason.

I can see where the company is coming from...producing as little as possible while still turning a profit decreases your chances of getting stuck with a warehouse full of Beastman, but it strikes me as rather shady. And greedy.

Yet I bought the PKE, and the Ghost Trap, and I'll probably put in my hoverboard order shortly.

"
They also are trying a first with re-marketing their PKE meter, and if they undersell, you will see them go back to their ultra teeny tiny lets make absolutely sure we don't make too much of a profit or ANY loss target production numbers.

I've already pre-ordered the hoverboard and I bought both the GB props as well. That said, I must admit though when they say something is going to be limited amount it should stay limited. Re-releasing the PKE feels like I'm getting screwed. If I did that in my business I'd be out of business very quickly. I know they are only in this to make money, just don't market it like it is your only chance. Just my own personal 2 cents, not looking for a debate.

Hi,

Not sure whether this has been discussed before on here but im from the UK and want to order this off the Mattycollector website but UK doesnt even appear in the 'country' drop down box on the billing section. Has anyone else had this problem and how do i get round it? Only got a day left to order so im panicking a bit :eek

Hi,

Not sure whether this has been discussed before on here but im from the UK and want to order this off the Mattycollector website but UK doesnt even appear in the 'country' drop down box on the billing section. Has anyone else had this problem and how do i get round it? Only got a day left to order so im panicking a bit :eek

rofl < I'm only doing this because I put up a post saying exactly the same thing and then removed it swiftly before anyone noticed as I saw Great Britain in the list.

Too much lol. :lol

rofl < I'm only doing this because I put up a post saying exactly the same thing and then removed it swiftly before anyone noticed as I saw Great Britain in the list.

Too much lol. :lol

Hahahaha!! I feel like a right idiot now! Thanks a lot mate, Id have never even thought to look for that.

Hahahaha!! I feel like a right idiot now! Thanks a lot mate, Id have never even thought to look for that.

:lol :thumbsup

Glad to have saved a fellow rpfer from losing out on getting one. Can't wait to get it now. :cool

I don't think it's even going to look more impressive than my current one, but the sounds and gliding are what sold it for me.

Ha glad to see the UK issue resolved.

Regarding production, I think Mattel has finally nailed it. Open a preorder before manufacturing the product and give enough time for the people who REALLY want one to order one. Then, produce all the preorder boards plus a percentage of extras for the people who want one when they see others have them. Thus, as Mattel has put it, "let the demand dictate the production."

This is miles better then "we are making an undisclosed amount of PKEs to be on sale on such and such a date. Goodluck."

As far as lowering supply so the secondary market remains high seems ultimately destructive to Mattel. Just find out how many people want and make them!

Regarding issue numbers and prop investment, I certainly understand why members would be perturbed if they are told a release is limited and then a new release happens. But you have to understand these items have far more sentimental than instrinsic value. (Sure the former drives the latter). Yes it's nice to see the things we love as investments, but honestly, I would rather see happiness in the community than a few savy guys buying all the hoverboards to stockpile them in an attic.

Ha glad to see the UK issue resolved.

Regarding production, I think Mattel has finally nailed it. Open a preorder before manufacturing the product and give enough time for the people who REALLY want one to order one. Then, produce all the preorder boards plus a percentage of extras for the people who want one when they see others have them. Thus, as Mattel has put it, "let the demand dictate the production."

This is miles better then "we are making an undisclosed amount of PKEs to be on sale on such and such a date. Goodluck."

As far as lowering supply so the secondary market remains high seems ultimately destructive to Mattel. Just find out how many people want and make them!

Regarding issue numbers and prop investment, I certainly understand why members would be perturbed if they are told a release is limited and then a new release happens. But you have to understand these items have far more sentimental than instrinsic value. (Sure the former drives the latter). Yes it's nice to see the things we love as investments, but honestly, I would rather see happiness in the community than a few savy guys buying all the hoverboards to stockpile them in an attic.

Makes perfect sense, I agree. I'd do the same if I was the director ;)

:lol :thumbsup

Glad to have saved a fellow rpfer from losing out on getting one. Can't wait to get it now. :cool

I don't think it's even going to look more impressive than my current one, but the sounds and gliding are what sold it for me.

The order is in! Was tempted to buy two, one to look at and one to ride around the town haha.

Thanks again!

The PKE's were never listed as a limited edition, so no problem there. In fact many had been asking after the first batch when a second production run would start. The hurt feelings on that are based on an assumption.

If I had more funds to throw around, I would definitely purchase a few more boards. The public at large is not aware of these and with them coming out at the holidays, you know there is going to be a demand when they are sent out. Could not be an y better of a scenario for someone that wants to invest in resale with something like this. Its never a guarantee, but the odds are pretty good someone could make a few hobby buck on this particular product.

The order is in! Was tempted to buy two, one to look at and one to ride around the town haha.

Thanks again!

Me too, but the Mrs will already kill me for getting this one. She got us one from hoverboard.uk.org and it's amazing, one of the best presents I have ever had....but when I heard that it had sounds and gliding I couldn't help it. :thumbsup

No worries!

I got one of these on order as well. Mattel has done a good job with the few prop replicas they've done so far. Been wanting one of these since I was little. And now I can reclaim my childhood by getting cool toys like this.

Damnit. I completely forgot about this and didn't order one. Anyone willing to help a fellow member out?

These things look great, I ordered one last minute. I've always been a huge fan of the movies. November is a long time to wait though.

Re: Mattel Hoverboard

the MattyCollector hoverboard prop looks like trash lol I'd rather have a hand built one from ebay any day of the week!!! real talk

Last edited:
Re: Mattel Hoverboard

the MattyCollector hoverboard prop looks like trash lol I'd rather have a hand built one from ebay any day of the week!!! real talk

"lol" is not used for ending a sentence. That's what a ".", an "!" and a "?" are for.

Also, this board is looking good as far as I can tell. I'm going to give it a chance and see how it spins. Plus, I've got quite the collection of action figures that I'm dying to put on the Hover Board.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back