MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/mattycollector-back-to-the-future-hoverboard-interview
Another in-depth Mattycollector.com BTTF Hoverboard interview with pics of the 6" Scale Hoverboard with handle bars

MattelBTTF6Board2.jpg

MattelBTTF6Board3.jpg

MattelBTTF6Board1.jpg

Some highlights

AFi: How how will the sound effects work? Will the board have built in speakers?

SN: We actually are using top of the line tech here with a new speaker system that turns the board itself into the speaker. This avoided having to have a “grill” or speaker holes in the board and ensure it is screen accurate. It will also have motion detectors so it will know if it is sliding forward, backward, or side to side. It will also shut off automatically when picked up just like in the film. Put it on the ground and it hmmmmms to life again!

Universal Studios has been an amazing partner and provided all of the original sound files to ensure accuracy.

AFi: Will the Board come with a stand?

SN: We are actually working on this to see if we can include a stand that will simulate hovering. Not locked in but we all want to make this happen. We also want to include a non numbered certificate of authenticity so you know this is an actual Mattel board.

AFi: As I understand it, you are not including the handlebars with the 1:1 prop replica?

SN: Yeah, we looked into this. Including the handlebars would have raised the price 50-70 bucks and we wanted to keep this as close to $100.00 as possible (final price for pre-order is $120.00). If the board does well we might do the handlebars as a separate item in 2013. Always a possibility as we did build the “hole” for the bars into the board so if we ever wanted to offer the bars as a separate item we could do that down the road. Time will tell (no pun intended!)

AFi: Does this mean a 6” line of action figures of Marty and Doc are coming? You know BTTF fans would love that?

SN: Oh, as a fan myself I sure do know that! We have tried quite a few scenarios to do this and it just hasn’t worked out from a financial stand point. Both Marty and Doc from any of the films are a 100% tool with really no shared parts. One of the reasons we can do 100% tool’d figures in a line like MOTUC or GB is because we can bank those figures with other partial tool figures. For BTTF you are talking all 100% tool for every figure and that makes it a bit harder. We looked into doing station figures as well but really it just wasn’t crunching right. That is one reason we are doing the 6” board. In addition to being an incentive to pre-order, it is as close to a 6” figure line as we are going to get right now.

AFi: The current “prototype” has been under fire as not being as accurate as possible. How do you address this?

SN: Oh boy! Yup. Of course the proto is not perfect. This was a dummy model we made very quick for NYTF. We are well aware many details are off such as the color of the green stripe and the pink background sticker. This is one reason it was great to have actual screen used boards to use as reference. Our goal is to make this as accurate as possible.

---------------------------------
I think the following packaging concept is a cool idea from Mattel.

AFi: What will the packaging look like?

SN: We have not locked that down yet, but I can tell you it won’ t have the BTTF logo. This is not an item from the movie, but rather we are treating this like it is from the real world and Mattel is actually making it. I really want to call out things like “Hover scooter also available* *not actually available” as a cross sell and have a burst that says “does not work on water”. I’m also working with legal to see if we can put all the TM dates as 2015.

AND ONE MORE UPDATE! The following was just added to the Hoverboard pre-order page on MattyCollector.com:

“Mattel proudly sponsors the Michael J. Fox Foundation and will be working with them to auction off a limited number of Michael J. Fox autographed Hoverboards this fall with all proceeds benefiting the Michael J. Fox Foundation. If you would like to donate or learn more about the foundation and how you can help, please click the banner below.”

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Vivek! I just ordered another after reading about the sound system.

EDIT: Read the entire article. It says the PKE will be back later this year.

Last edited:
This thread is a discussion of the MattyCollector hoverboard, not pricing and sales info for boards from members. Thanks. :)

I cannot wait for these.

Interestingly, my money for them was not "locked." As far as I could tell, the amount is still available in my bank. Anyone else notice that?

SN: We are actually working on this to see if we can include a stand that will simulate hovering. Not locked in but we all want to make this happen. We also want to include a non numbered certificate of authenticity so you know this is an actual Mattel board.

a stand and a certificate would actually be great :D
thanks for the interview and the video :)

I pre-ordered one. Now I'm wondering whether I should pre-order a spare.

So as far as we know the magnet plate surfaces are the only exterior part of the board that they are INTENTIONALLY altering, when compared to an original, by making the magnet edges rounder to allow the board to be more easily slid across a hard surface?

Me personally, I would much prefer the magnet plates to be made with the correct shape so that the entire board LOOKS right. I don't intend to try to slide this thing across the floor like I'm playing shuffleboard with it when that creates the possibility of it impacting the legs of my couch, piano bench, entertainment center, coffee table, etc. if I don't judge the power of my push just right.

Does anyone else wish they would just make the magnet plates the correct shape with sharper bottom edges? Ideally they could make thin caps over the magnet plates with rounder edges for sliding, but which could be removed for accuracy.

These will not be that limited and Mattel has already said that if the sales do well (which they will) then they will most likely re-release these and possibly with the handle bars.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to get a second one later on.

Do we know for sure the plates are going to be rounded? I had not read anything about design compromises.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. If we have to take the pads off for an upgrade perhaps some real magnets will fit inside.

It seems like theyre going all out. Heck it's going to be a color match.

In the Mattel prototype the magnet edges that contact the floor are somewhat rounded/domed and heavily radiused instead of being flat with crisp/sharp edges. This wasn't a detail they unknowingly got wrong and intend to correct. They had to alter the edges and add a generous radius to the magnet surfaces so as to prevent the bottom plates from catching on any surface imperfections as the board's being slid across a hard floor. As long as their continued plan is for these to have the ability to be "slid" across a surface to generate the "whooshing" noise then they would have to maintain these inaccurate rounded magnet surfaces instead of completely flat magnet surfaces with crisp edges.

It would probably be an easy mod to swap them out for a more accurate surface on each of the magnet plates, but it would be nice if they would offer them this way to begin with. The ability to slide it across a floor isn't a very exciting feature to me since it's still sitting directly on the floor and so doesn't really create any real semblance of hovering. The slide feature just isn't worth the alteration of the magnet plates in my opinion.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back