MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

I've been a massive BTTF fan for years and I just wanted to say that the work you guys are doing here is amazing – particularly you, Roland. Your attention to detail is absolutely flawless. Nice work on all your other prop downloads too!

I stumbled across this thread a few months ago when I saw RPF mentioned in the Matty forums and have been following it ever since. I didn't even know RPF existed before then, so I've been like a kid in a sweet shop reading through all these BTTF threads!

Anyway, just to give you all something to laugh about, here's a picture of two Hover Boards that I made when I was a kid alongside the Matty one:

IMG_6925.JPG

Bonus points for anyone who can tell me which is the Matty board… :lol

It was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure I made the first one from memory after seeing BTTF2 at the cinema and then I think the second one was made after renting the video once. If only I knew then what my future self knows now… :)

Roland, I do have one kinda related but slightly OT question for you:

When is your paper props website actually going to be up and running?! That site is going to be awesome!

Yeah, Roland! That's right! Although, I noticed now that the other letters "B_ARD" are a little way off the white line bellow. And comparing to a screen used, this letters are more "in line" with the white line bellow.

If you check Razorsharp's decals (that I think is a version of yours), you will se that in both words, "Hover" and "Board", all the letters are more "in line" with the white stripes. Maybe he did that to conserve a more "real" and/or "correct" look, to give a sense of alignement of the letters. What do you think is better?

And about the colors, is really amazing how much difference a light exposure can create. It's perfect! (and even you saying your green velcro is too dark, I didn't notice that before, I think that is very good).

Roland, could you show us the kind of pink fur that you will apply to your deluxe kit? I think the one that Razorsharp uses is very cool, because appears to be more accurate to the movie and also more discrete.

Razorsharp, any news with your decals too? Please, when you can, show us more pictures too! We're waiting to something very ultimate and cool!

Thanks! :thumbsup

Hi Wes,

yes, it's the same at the original stunt board. And it's not only the upper "O" that sticks out into the white stripe, the lower "O" in "BOARD" does it as well.

attachment.php

Depends on the lighting condition. If you compare my decals under the same or similar light conditions (neon light/lighting tubes) with a screen used stunt board, my colors should be correct.

attachment.php

mattycollector-mattel-hoverboard-discussion-preview4.jpg-135514d1357541187

Here is my same decal under a different light (roomlight/warm white LED). Better now? ;) (And yes, my green Velcro IS too dark! :lol)

attachment.php

I am totally dependent on what is available on the market (online and offline). And I have to keep an eye on my own costs of course. I can't give any guarantees on 100% color accuracy, but you can be sure, that I do my very best. And I'm sure: your board will look better than before. ;)

Bummer indeed :( got a couple of mates still waiting on theirs too (we all ordered the same day for what it's worth)...hope you get yours sooner rather than later!

Sent using Tapatalk

I'm in Perth and I haven't got mine. The worst part is having no tracking number, in order to find out where it is.

If you check Razorsharp's decals (that I think is a version of yours), you will se that in both words, "Hover" and "Board", all the letters are more "in line" with the white stripes. Maybe he did that to conserve a more "real" and/or "correct" look, to give a sense of alignement of the letters. What do you think is better?

Razorsharp, any news with your decals too? Please, when you can, show us more pictures too! We're waiting to something very ultimate and cool!

Thanks! :thumbsup

yes i did realign the HOVER BOARD letters slightly, i did make the O's lined up too, but on my latest graphics i've moved them slightly so they overlap the whte lines as per the original props. No news on my decals yet, i've sent them to the printers, hopefully should be getting a set soon... I've also upgraded the footpad since the pics i posted too. I'll post pics as soon as i've got it done!

yes i did realign the HOVER BOARD letters slightly, i did make the O's lined up too, but on my latest graphics i've moved them slightly so they overlap the whte lines as per the original props. No news on my decals yet, i've sent them to the printers, hopefully should be getting a set soon... I've also upgraded the footpad since the pics i posted too. I'll post pics as soon as i've got it done!

Very nice! Don't see the time to see it! :thumbsup

Keep the amazing work, guys!

Congratulations!

my board im not that pushed about changing except for the strap, any tips on how to make it a bit shorter so your foot slides in a bit more comfortably?

thanks guys

my board im not that pushed about changing except for the strap, any tips on how to make it a bit shorter so your foot slides in a bit more comfortably?

thanks guys

If you opened up the board, you might be able to shorten it by unscrewing the inside of the footpad, and setting it so less of the velcro sticks out before screwing it all back together.

But I don't know that you'd wanna do that much, and you'd have to peel up or poke holes in the stickers on the bottom to get it open.

Yeah, Roland! That's right! Although, I noticed now that the other letters "B_ARD" are a little way off the white line bellow. And comparing to a screen used, this letters are more "in line" with the white line bellow.

If you check Razorsharp's decals (that I think is a version of yours), you will se that in both words, "Hover" and "Board", all the letters are more "in line" with the white stripes. Maybe he did that to conserve a more "real" and/or "correct" look, to give a sense of alignement of the letters. What do you think is better? ...

I'm sure, if you search long enough, you will find hundreds of inaccuracies in all of my graphics. Almost 100% accuracy is only possible, if you have a scan of the original board.

By the way: I don't know, which images of a screen used board you had used for comparison, but if you take a closer look at the following image, you will notice, that the letters V, E and R in HOVER go slightly into the white strap. And the letters B, A, R and D in BOARD have yellow space below them and don't touch the white strap. The letter B has even more space than the other three letters.

attachment.php

Roland, could you show us the kind of pink fur that you will apply to your deluxe kit? I think the one that Razorsharp uses is very cool, because appears to be more accurate to the movie and also more discrete.

Pictures of my fur and all the other parts of the kit will be available in my sales thread in a few days. I'm just waiting for the new green Velcro.

Last edited:
Roland, I do have one kinda related but slightly OT question for you:

When is your paper props website actually going to be up and running?! That site is going to be awesome!

As soon as I have finished it. I can't tell you an exact date, since it's still a lot of work and I will probably need some help with english and french translations (from german). But here is a small preview: :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Roland, if you need help translating from German into English, let me know. I`m not a native speaker, "only" an English teacher but maybe I can help out from time to time.
The paper props site looks very promising and I`m looking forward to your upgrade kit for the hoverboard cause my hoverboard has just arrived.

There were bubbles on the front decals which I was able to get rid of. However, there is some red paint on the black part of the magnets and below the battery box there is even a tiny hole in the board and partly ripped the decal.
I haven`t even bothered to test the sound as I needed 10 minutes to figure out how to set this up on the stand. This stand is a joke, I always have to fear that the board falls down and gets damaged even more.

Nevertheless, I am happy to own my first hoverboard keeping in mind that I might be able to upgrade it.

I took a chance and stood on my board yesterday. I figured if I'm on a solid surface the board probably won't crack and if the sound stops working it wouldn't be the end of the world. It supported me, no issues. I'm ablaut 160 lbs

For the display stand, I just flipped the battery cover around so when its on the stand the Mattel logos are right side up. It's sturdy, but the downside is you can only get one screw in on the battery cover, unless your able to cut or break the little plastic tab that gets in the way.

And for a last little factoid, the Hasbro force fx lightsaber fits perfectly in the handlebar hole. I don't know why anyone would need to know that...

photohhw.jpg

I'm sure, if you search long enough, you will find hundreds of inaccuracies in all of my graphics. Almost 100% accuracy is only possible, if you have a scan of the original board.

By the way: I don't know, which images of a screen used board you had used for comparison, but if you take a closer look at the following image, you will notice, that the letters V, E and R in HOVER go slightly into the white strap. And the letters B, A, R and D in BOARD have yellow space below them and don't touch the white strap. The letter B has even more space than the other three letters.

attachment.php

You're right, Roland. The yellow spaces is bellow there. I'm sorry. Maybe the screen board in the picture that you show was a little blurry bellow the letters, and I was unable to see in details the yellow spaces, or Maybe is just my eyes. :confused

One of the images that I used to compare was a little more sharp, but I don't know if was my eyes or if is the size of the picture, because If you look bellow, maybe you'll see that the letters A - R - D appears to be very "in line" to the white. But, as I said, must be the size of the picture that is not so close enough to show the yellow or just and optical illusion. See:

attachment.php

Pictures of my fur and all the other parts of the kit will be available in my sales thread in a few days. I'm just waiting for the new green Velcro.

I'll be following, anxious to see! :thumbsup

As soon as I have finished it. I can't tell you an exact date, since it's still a lot of work and I will probably need some help with english and french translations (from german). But here is a small preview: :)

Roland, the layout of your website is getting very beautiful and clean! It's awesome! :thumbsup

Talking about languages, have you think in insert a Portuguese-Brazilian flag into your website? :)

There's a lot of Back to the future's Brazilian and portuguese fans around the world!
If you be interested, I can help you with the translations to create a portuguese session for your website! ;)

I'll be very happy to do it! PM me if you're interested!

Once again, thanks for everything and excuses for any misunderstood!

Best Regards!

Wes.

If you opened up the board, you might be able to shorten it by unscrewing the inside of the footpad, and setting it so less of the velcro sticks out before screwing it all back together.

But I don't know that you'd wanna do that much, and you'd have to peel up or poke holes in the stickers on the bottom to get it open.

I did a video about taking the hovebaord apart. At one point around 12:00, I have the footpad apart. you would have to go down to that far to shorten it properly.

Mattel Hoverboard Teardown - YouTube

I took a chance and stood on my board yesterday. I'm about 160 lbs

Also around that time, you see why (being delicate) one should reasonable be able to stand on the board. Physically, pretty ok construction.

And for a last little factoid, the Hasbro force fx lightsaber fits perfectly in the handlebar hole. I don't know why anyone would need to know that...

photohhw.jpg

Man, there is something I never thought that I would see in life before!!! :lol

That's very cool!!!

"May the HOVER be with you!"

Very nice idea and shot!

Cheers!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back