MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Just been told I have a letter at my folks house where I chose to have the board delivered.

Customs charge no doubt

have to say i got away with it again from mattel, no charge on mine. just a note saying it had been left with next door. i was expecting the dreaded small royal mail envelope you tear off to find you have to pay before it gets released. if you pay over the phone it will take another 2 days to get to you - lucky for me i live right by the parcel force depot where pay and collection can be done to have it immediately.

have to say i got away with it again from mattel, no charge on mine. just a note saying it had been left with next door. i was expecting the dreaded small royal mail envelope you tear off to find you have to pay before it gets released. if you pay over the phone it will take another 2 days to get to you - lucky for me i live right by the parcel force depot where pay and collection can be done to have it immediately.

Bummer even more waiting time! This is by far the longest transaction of my life, its quicker to buy a house and move in that get this hoverboard :behave

My son was conceived around the time of the board pre-order and he arrived quicker! :lol

... By the way... talking about minimum details, I didn't notice that before, but in the word "HOVER", the letter "O" it's a little upper in the white stripe above the word. Is that correct at the original board? (I'm asking here right now, but I'll try to find looking for the original pictures). ...

Hi Wes,

yes, it's the same at the original stunt board. And it's not only the upper "O" that sticks out into the white stripe, the lower "O" in "BOARD" does it as well.

attachment.php

... And the yellow of the background of this words, should not be a little bit more orange? (Just a very little bit...?) ...

Depends on the lighting condition. If you compare my decals under the same or similar light conditions (neon light/lighting tubes) with a screen used stunt board, my colors should be correct.

attachment.php

mattycollector-mattel-hoverboard-discussion-preview4.jpg-135514d1357541187

Here is my same decal under a different light (roomlight/warm white LED). Better now? ;) (And yes, my green Velcro IS too dark! :lol)

attachment.php

... I think in the end, we will have a lot of versions to please anyone! But considering your eyesight for details, and all your past work with Back to the Future's Props reproduction, if the green that you choose came better than the others possibilities suggested, that will just confirm once again how good you are in this kind of props accuracy. ;) ...

I am totally dependent on what is available on the market (online and offline). And I have to keep an eye on my own costs of course. I can't give any guarantees on 100% color accuracy, but you can be sure, that I do my very best. And I'm sure: your board will look better than before. ;)

Last edited:
Just looking at that great close up of the green velcro of an original board compared to the new stuff makes me think colored Velcro now relies on transparent hooks/loops with the color being provided by the backing. The old stuff looks to have the hooks and loops made in matching green plastic.

Has anyone considered flattening the "speaker bump" on the tail yet? Something tells me it would be more a matter of cutting out the shape, backing the hole, and filling it in, than merely trying to sand it down. So I'd be interested to see if anyone has tackled it or is planning on tackle it to see how they go about it.

-Nick

These Digital River people are quite possibly the stupidest support line I have ever called. First, their thinly veiled Indian accents with names like "John" and "Shane" Don't even try, it's just insulting to my intelligence.

And they were $0.30 short on the last refund.

Has anyone considered flattening the "speaker bump" on the tail yet? Something tells me it would be more a matter of cutting out the shape, backing the hole, and filling it in, than merely trying to sand it down. So I'd be interested to see if anyone has tackled it or is planning on tackle it to see how they go about it.

-Nick

I'd really like to, but I haven't taken my board apart yet to see what it looks like underneath. Here are some options I'm considering:

1) take a 6" 1/8"-thick aluminum disc, apply adhesive and clamp it underneath the area, pushing the center of the bulge down onto the disc underneath.

2) use the same aluminum disc underneath the kicktail but this time add a disc on top as well. Heat the plastic up slowly and then clamp the kicktail surface between the two discs to flatten the surface.

3) cut the bulged area out, back it with a thin metal disc and fill it.

I'm also considering cutting off the kicktail and plastic welding it back on at a reduced angle. We'll see...

Did Mattel?

That's funny, but i don't think its a joke.:unsure

It's no joke. One BTTF fan has done with local (and internet) materials, 3 weeks time, and reference pictures and screen grabs - what a major toy company couldn't do with 9 months, the actual props physically in-person, and the advisement of the guys who built the props.

ge9lj.png

Says it all.

Last edited:
Did Mattel?

It's no joke. One BTTF fan has done with local (and internet) materials, 3 weeks time, and reference pictures and screen grabs - what a major toy company couldn't do with 9 months, the actual props physically in-person, and the advisement of the guys who built the props.

Says it all.

That IS what i was saying (text is a rather poor conveyor of message). Mattel spent way more time and energy making everyone think they were doing work and going to deliver.:thumbsdown what an utterly huge let-down.

Oh yeah. No question. But hey, if they had to screw somethin' up, i'd rather see a nice quality board - nice plastic base, decent enough bevels/edges/etc, (ability to take the batteries out),

then to have flawless decals stuck on a really bad board. At least this way, a decal swap and some velcro/fur make it into a really nice display piece.

3 weeks? :lol No, I made my original decals, hero and stunt, in about 10 hours (spread over several days and nights). The most difficult part was the pseudo lenticular of the stunt board: about 5 hours. Research time for the reference pictures: 2-3 days with Google image search.

And my changed design for the upgrade decals was finished in about 3 hours.

9 months time and having the actual board as a reference? That would be a dream!!! :love

Been following this thread pretty closely; Great stuff!

Just thought I'd share that I hung my hoverboard up using this mount:

Racor - Sport Board Hanger - Sports Storage - PAB-1R

Amazon had them for $15 but the vendor was out of stock. I ended up getting it directly through the manufacturer instead.

It looks pretty good in my office.

Is the board secure being held on that? It looks like it may be able to fall off.

3 weeks? :lol No, I made my original decals, hero and stunt, in about 10 hours (spread over several days and nights). The most difficult part was the pseudo lenticular of the stunt board: about 5 hours.

WOW. I just meant that it's been about 3 weeks since I sent you the scans, but that is friggin impressive, man!

Is the board secure being held on that? It looks like it may be able to fall off.

that looks like its for a daily skater to toss his board on the wall when done, and grab it fast on the way out. all in a ruff-n-tumble / manhandled sort of way.
I wouldn't have any faith in that for displaying a hoverboard that you never want to have fall off, or that you want to be able to take down without marring.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back