MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Well mine turned up, mattel shipping indicates a ship date of 4th December. But actual postage did not take place until 13 of December...... This explains the lateness guys and girls ESP with Xmas and new year holidays disrupting things.

To be honest I'm reasonably happy with it despite its problems people have discussed

No customs duty either

Oh man that is awful, whoever put those on clearly does not give a crap about what they are doing.

If mine comes and looks like that I will have to replace the decals with a Roland kit.

If I dropped that kind of money on an item, I'd send it back for replacement if it came like that. Why they'd send something out looking like that makes me want to do this:

:facepalm

This whole hover board thing is a total disaster. I can't even get an upgrade kit for it shipped to Canada lol. I hope I can get the sticker kits shipped here when they're available.

Thanks for your feedback of receiving the boards in the UK and Europe. I`ll be home on Monday and hopefully pick it up then.
Roland`s upgrade kit sounds promising and may ease the pain of the epic mattycollector hoverboard fail...

Speaking of upgrades, is there anyone thats modded the speaker, I noticed when pushing down on the outer casing where the speaker is it sounded better without the hollow echo vibration that it normally makes...... Would one be able to use dynamat / sound deadening material to lose vibration through the plastic and hopefully bring just the sounds out

I am in Toronto and I also got my orders.... (finally).

As with everyone else, the sound is horrible due to vibration and loudness. At least the graphic application was ok.... No bubbles...

Wow, that is rediculous. "I do realize how obscure a brand BTTF Is," "BTTF may not have the legs to support a toy line"

NECA made a TWO series toy line on Evil Dead 2, a single movie with only 7 characters total. BTTF is just as well known as Ghostbusters, and there are at least 5 recognizable characters to draw from, let alone "1955"/"1985"/"2015" versions and Deloreans.

There's enough demand for BTTF figures of any sort, just for a "Doc And Marty" 2 Pack would sell really well.

Speaking of NECA, they also have a "Direct to Customers" service, for specialty and limited-edition offerings. The difference is that it's not the nightmare that Digital River tends to be.

Speaking of upgrades, is there anyone thats modded the speaker...snip

I've found the best solution for the the terrible sounds this Matty Board makes, I've done it to my board, and I suggest you do it to yours as well.
First, set the board top down on a soft surface-you don't want to damage the fine decals.
Then start with removing the screw that hold the battery cover on, remove the batteries and replace the cover. Never install them again.
You'll no longer have to suffer the ear pain of hearing those terrible sounds again.

-Charles

Wow, that is rediculous. "I do realize how obscure a brand BTTF Is," "BTTF may not have the legs to support a toy line"

NECA made a TWO series toy line on Evil Dead 2, a single movie with only 7 characters total. BTTF is just as well known as Ghostbusters, and there are at least 5 recognizable characters to draw from, let alone "1955"/"1985"/"2015" versions and Deloreans.

There's enough demand for BTTF figures of any sort, just for a "Doc And Marty" 2 Pack would sell really well.
That part of the article bothered me. Just cause there hasn't been a BTTF toy line, doesn't mean there is no enough demand or sale potential.

So many major toy companies have tried in the last two decades, it's the likeness licensing issue that has held them back.

Even NECA pursued it at one point, which they confirmed to me last month.

https://twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/277969892475564032

Me: Were there any attempts to get the Back to the Future license but was left out due to actor likeness issues?

NECA: no attempts here once Universal confirmed that no actor rights are included

But things have now changed thanks to MJF approving his likeness. Telltale Games managed to get it. Mattel has the likeness rights for both MJF and Chris Lloyd, but they chickened out as they have to spend on a whole new tooling design. Then why did they get the likeness rights in the first place?

Hot Toys also now has the BTTF license including actor likeness rights

I will continue to buy the occasional MOTUC figures, but I am not expecting any good BTTF products from Mattel anymore.

Pfft, Ghostbusters?

Whatever.

Look at the community of Back to the Future fans, look at the amazing events that went on during WGB 2010. Only a VERY ignorant person would say that Back to the Future doesn't have the legs to support a toy line.

Obscure?

Get the hell out of here.

I've found the best solution for the the terrible sounds this Matty Board makes, I've done it to my board, and I suggest you do it to yours as well.
First, set the board top down on a soft surface-you don't want to damage the fine decals.
Then start with removing the screw that hold the battery cover on, remove the batteries and replace the cover. Never install them again.
You'll no longer have to suffer the ear pain of hearing those terrible sounds again.

-Charles

Best upgrade I've done so far!

Me: Were there any attempts to get the Back to the Future license but was left out due to actor likeness issues?

NECA: no attempts here once Universal confirmed that no actor rights are included

Thanks for that! I hadn't heard the confirmation. They had a similar nightmare with their Ghostbusters, which is why the Series 2 fell through. So it's not too surprising. Bill Murray absolutely refused any sort of action figure likeness for years.

Like I said, they could do a "Bare bones" line, with ONLY Lloyd and Michael's likeness rights. But I doubt Mattel would do it anytime soon after this nonsense. They may have just gotten the rights to keep other companies from making figures.

I'd much rather see NECA pull it off at some point down the line at $15 each at TRU with a TON of accessories covered by Universal Pictures' licence, than see Mattel just do the bare minimum at $25 (plus shipping) each, and maybe luck out and have 1 or 2 accessories each. Not to mention the quality difference.

There's definitly a demand there, i'm surprised it's taken this long for a company to jump on it. If HotToys is actually going to do BTTF, I think that'd certainly make some waves.

Cool Toy Review has thrown me off the board after this post:

Wow, The hoverboard marketing and production is a textbook example of what not to do in a business. The Matty mailing division has had so many problems, that the customer base across all the Matty forum boards complain constantly and the service continues to worsen. Google Matty hoverboard reviews and the majority of the first ten pages is all negative.

And with all of this, the public relations has been almost non-existent and when Matty does answer, many times it is in a combatant lousy service attitude.

Matty has not addressed every collectors concerns as can be seen on their own forums in the GB, DC,and Hoverboard forums to an incredible steamrolling of the customers. They have not been honest on their marketing, or quick to answer questions on their own Q&A boards. They ABSOLUTELY HAVE NOT LISTENED TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.

It is easy to find complaints both on their own forums and even with the Better Business Bureau on this last years handling of their products. They show an F at the BBB.
Matty Collector/Digital River Business Review in Ontario , CA

During 2012 they cancelled several of their lines due to the lack of pre-orders. A great line, Ghostbusters, has been closed down mainly due to incompetence. They have had to extend the sales dates of the Castle Greyskull in order to meet the minimum orders. 2012 saw the worst ever of customer service with Matty.

I pray other businesses never take what Matty has done this year as any form of an example of how to run a business. You guys at cooltoyreview must be smelling the plastic too much to give them these accolades. Here's hope both you and Matty start to get back to reality.

Heck, I will just repost under another account. Edited off again. ;P Been edited off four times now. Looks like Cooltoyreview is just a front for Matty.

Last edited:
Only a VERY ignorant person would say that Back to the Future doesn't have the legs to support a toy line.

Obscure?

Get the hell out of here.

On Matty's business model it would never work. They over charge, under produce to create demand, and reuse as many parts as possible.

They may have paid licensing on the Ghostbusters, but one body got them four figures before they even looked at variants. That's why Ghostbusters happened. We had, what...the standard uniform versions, the Ghostbusters II versions, the slimed versions, the marshmallow versions.

Mattel realized making Marty and Doc would mean sculpting different bodies and not reusing He-Man's arms every other figure and chickened out.

I hope NECA can get it at some point. They're better at actor licenses, their articulation has come a long way, and they don't shy away from accessories.

For the moment I'm not sure if I release them as a free download. But I will offer an upgrade kit for sale in about a week. Two versions:

- the "light" version: only the decals
- the "extended" version: the decals incl. green and hot pink Velcro (already sticked on) plus a decal for the footpad (completely finished with green Velcro, white webbing and pink fur/plush)

you can put me down for an extended version, as long as it is not exuberant in cost (inc. shipping).

If you have a Mattel board, i'd love some pics of the work of everything assembled showing it off.

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been following this thread as much. (Busy with work.) But I just got my Hover Boards in the mail yesterday and I had an idea. Maybe this has already been discussed, but what if you were to apply a clear holographic film over-top of the pattern that's already there...? Would that give it a similar effect?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back