Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT - Updating jacket and boots with leather!!

It's looking really great with the real leather, and the spirals are cool.

Thanks! It's hard because the photos don't really do it justice since they're just camera phone pics with bad lighting lol.

Also I figure I should ask again here as it may have gotten overlooked but if anyone knows of a good laser cutter for leather or if anyone is looking for a bit of small side work I'd love to chat! I need the vest fabric cut from leather if I can.

Was Fabric Tac fabric glue not strong enough for use on leather? I've used it for foam and it works amazingly well, but I don't work with leather - so I'm just curious. :)

Was Fabric Tac fabric glue not strong enough for use on leather? I've used it for foam and it works amazingly well, but I don't work with leather - so I'm just curious. :)

You know I'm not sure lol. I just know that rubber cement/contact cement is what they sell/recommend to use with leather when gluing down seams for flattening etc.

I'll take the boot toppers!!! I'll take them!! I am absolutely in love with his boots,and you did an amazing job remaking them!

Lol. Well I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do with them. Like I said, more then anything what will happen is someone will buy the shirt and vest and take the jacket and boot toppers with it for basic material cost and a little bit of labor cost. The boot toppers aren't actually all that bad either, mostly the coat that needs some work. I don't want to start piecing it out until I know for sure no one wants as much of it as possible. But since you posted here I'll be able to come back and find your info should I eventually just start giving those pieces away or selling them for cheap. :)

Lol. Well I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do with them. Like I said, more then anything what will happen is someone will buy the shirt and vest and take the jacket and boot toppers with it for basic material cost and a little bit of labor cost. The boot toppers aren't actually all that bad either, mostly the coat that needs some work. I don't want to start piecing it out until I know for sure no one wants as much of it as possible. But since you posted here I'll be able to come back and find your info should I eventually just start giving those pieces away or selling them for cheap. :)

Sounds great to me! I'll be waiting coughimpatientlycough to hear back from you!:D

Also I figure I should ask again here as it may have gotten overlooked but if anyone knows of a good laser cutter for leather or if anyone is looking for a bit of small side work I'd love to chat! I need the vest fabric cut from leather if I can.

I sent you a pm

Just thought I'd pop in to mention that I found some rockin' buttons for the jacket and I'm working with Faille (above) to see about getting the vest laser cut out!! Hopefully it all works out because if so it will be the last piece that I was going to make from pleather because I couldn't get the pattern in real leather. EEEEEEEP! Hopefully we'll know more by this weekend!

Just wanted to share a little update!! So I got the buttons for his coat and actually sewed them on. They're metal and brilliant and don't look cheap which I love! Thank you Mood Fabrics!!

And I got my swatch back of the trial run laser cutting!!!! It looks BRILLIANT!!! I'll probably need to dye the grout a red brown or something of the like to match his vest more and the grout might need to be a biiiiiiiit smaller but overall I love how it looks and can't wait to have the whole vest done!! So excited! Everything looks better in leather lol!

And that is the silk I'll be using for his shirt. It's a bit bright but he does wear bright colors every once in a while and you really don't see to much of his shirt. I'll probably make it out of this silk and then in the future buy a different silk in a more burgundy color and then sell this shirt. It was just really hard to find a wine/burgundy silk charmeuse.

For anyone who is really into OUAT and the Belle character I will also be including the gold dress she wears in this thread and for fun I made a replica of the skirt she wears in "The Outsider". For a date night I sort of put an outfit together that is reminiscent of the one she wears in that episode. I love all of her clothes in Storybrooke so I've decided to just try and copy her wardrobe hahahah!

So I'm updating even more with my Belle costume that will go with Rumple! I would have edited the title of this thread to show that info but for some reason I can't seem to??? But yeah, here is my Belle dress so far and also my blue contacts! They look good without the flash but with flash is when that unnatural hue tends to come through. But hopefully when I do my makeup for real and my hair that will help blend the color a bit. Plus they really enhance the actress Emelie De Ravin's eyes (which are already a wild color blue) so hopefully it still goes.

Without flash:

With Flash:

Beginning of Belle dress hanging out with new Rumple costume jacket:

Starting to work on the beading/hand sewing around the collar area. This is going to take time and probably wont be finished for the sat event but I'm going to try my hardest:

A more full view of the WIP dress:

I am still following this thread! Sorry I haven't gotten back here to respond - that laser etching is fabulous! You really are going all out for this costume. It's so impressive how much detail you pay attention to.

Beautiful work on that beading! I'd love to see a close up of it, if you can manage that. :D I'm learning to bead and it's slow going... You made the dress first and then are beading it, I was going to try to bead first and then I was going to cut and sew the fabric. I guess I'm afraid I'll mess it up and would rather not have to start over on making the dress if I ruin the fabric. :p

The leather will be coming back friday fully cut and I can't wait to show it!!!! It looks soooooooo good!!

And yeah I can take a closer pic. Although the work is very imperfect. I should have a stenciled out area to make sure everything is even and mirrored but I have no time so I'm free handing it lol. But once the whole thing is done it should still read "pretty" just not "perfect" lol.

Also it isn't really beading but it's called purl. It's a thin metal wire wrapped around a small rod (in this case a square rod since it is rough check purl) to create a small delicate coil that is hollow in the middle so you can sew it like a bead and cut it to different lengths etc. I'll put up a close up later today of it.

Can't wait to see the leather! So exciting. :D

Thanks for working on a closer photo! That metal sounds interesting. And I know how it is with beading and it not looking neat. bleh- it's really not easy when you are working on a pattern. When I beaded my Galadriel dress it didn't matter because they were just glass beads on lace and were just for glitter. But I really think you're right, it's for 'pretty' not 'perfect' and from a distance nobody is going to see anything but the pretty. :)

Here's a closeup:

A bit farther away:

And the whole dress:

I got a bit more progress done on it obviously but I ran out of the purl so I'm ordering now and will have it by friday. Then I'll have to hand sew like the wind lol!!

That is so cool looking! Thanks for posting the close up. :love

No problem! I just got the rest of my purl in today so I'll be doing some more later that Ill post photos of. I actually had to make a necklace for this costume too so after making one in gold and one in silver I think I'm going to go with the gold (although I have to paint the bead cap and hook for the bead gold since I could only find them in silver).

gold chain:

silver chain:

Side by side:

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! I love these costumes! Can't wait to see them all done. Amazing work.

Thank you! These costumes are definitely a labor of love and tears lol. Especially Rumple. I really want to get some good photos out of this weekend and if they look awesome and professional enough I'd like to send them via twitter (or something of the like) to the costume designer and writers/producers of the show. They do a lot of fan interaction so I figure it'd be kind of cool for them to see. (but only if it turns out like knock your socks good enough hahahaha!)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back