Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT - Updating jacket and boots with leather!!

Re: Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT WIP - PIC HEAVY!!

Hi Amara!

The pictures aren't showing and I really want to see them!!

Are you doing the image link copy off of something like photobucket or links? Or did you add them off of your computer. I know when I first joined I found the image uploading a bit tricky so if you need some help let me know!

Oh and according to the designer the skins around his calves that lace up are croc skins that have ground up stones to give that reptilian look.

Hi Amara!

The pictures aren't showing and I really want to see them!!

Are you doing the image link copy off of something like photobucket or links? Or did you add them off of your computer. I know when I first joined I found the image uploading a bit tricky so if you need some help let me know!

Haha! Think I've sussed it.

14245-nocoat004.jpg

And

14246-nocoat003.jpg

I HOPE that works!

I hope you are doing all right. I know you said you had a deadline, and works for customers to do as well.

My red shirt and pants fabric arrived today, so it's in the pre-wash now. I can't wait to actually get started. It seems to have taken forever to track down all of the materials for this outfit. Whew!

Last edited:

Alright! Loads of WIP photos of the collar. Basically this is what we did today (and are still doing). We laid the croc skin on him and drew out where the cuts need to be made. Then we cut it out and flipped it so it mirrored the other hide and we traced the design out on the other hide as we want them to be pretty symmetrical. The photos are basically the progress of the hides in the original state to slowly cutting them out into their final pieces before being dyed and sewn together. Hopefully they make sense but I'll try and explain as I go along.

DSC_2340.jpg

Did it over our Mad Hatter jacket since it's a similar style and fabric as his jacket.

DSC_2341.jpg

You can see the sharpie markings as well as on the leg are the colors that were bought and tested for the real deal. That leg was stripped using acetone and the 3 colors that will be blended are saddletan (the lightest), mahogany and chocolate.

DSC_2343.jpg

The piece cut out with the gusset areas sliced open. This was the Right side.

DSC_2342.jpg

Tracing it onto the other hide

DSC_2344.jpg

Both main pieces cut out and then laying out the pattern pieces for the actual gusset inserts. The rest of the hide will be used for the facing.

DSC_2346.jpg

The two main pieces which are touching at the center back seam and the facings which will go on the inside and the gusset inserts for both sides and center back.

DSC_2347.jpg

Using acetone to strip the glaze off the hide with a soft cloth

DSC_2348.jpg

First coat of dye using Fiebings saddle tan dye.

DSC_2349.jpg

First layer of dye. We're really liking how it's somewhat mottled. Maybe that's a repercussion of using acetone or maybe that's just how the croc hide sort of dyes. Either way, it makes it seem super natural and rough. We're going to do at least another layer of the saddle tan and then the mahogany next and then the chocolate.

Haha! Think I've sussed it.

14245-nocoat004.jpg

And

14246-nocoat003.jpg

I HOPE that works!

I hope you are doing all right. I know you said you had a deadline, and works for customers to do as well.

My red shirt and pants fabric arrived today, so it's in the pre-wash now. I can't wait to actually get started. It seems to have taken forever to track down all of the materials for this outfit. Whew!

I feel like part of this post went missing as there used to be links and now they're gone.

I would get a free image loader such as photobucket or imgur to upload your photos to. Then just take the image code and copy it and paste it directly into your comment so you get pics like what mine are. You can also use the upload image in the actual post a comment as opposed to quick reply but I personally don't like it when a thread is nothing but thumbnails since I like to be able to scroll and see everything with the text. But that's just me, I'm sure others hate how I display my thread photos hahahahahah!

I so hope you get a piece of parchment paper and an quill for your husband to hold. Picture requests can be met with "Just sign this contract, dearie."

I so hope you get a piece of parchment paper and an quill for your husband to hold. Picture requests can be met with "Just sign this contract, dearie."

Hahahah! We most definitely want to do that!!!! I'm hoping to have a long scroll like he has in the show but if nothing else we'll just buy one or a piece of paper with a quill. I've been talking about how doing that will be an awesome way to take photos!

I'm really excited while watching your project unfold, Eveningarwen! Love, love, love the attention to detail! And how awesome is the designer for pointing you in the right direction...not many would do that sort of thing. Very cool!

So I've got the vest done! Well mostly, I still have a few more grommets to put up the front of the neck but I ran out of black grommets after using a whole box. Also, I had to use a different pleather because I ran out of time for ordering the other one to get here in time. I found this fabric at Mood Fabrics and I actually really like it because the squares are all small as opposed to the other one which was a more natural skin pattern.

But this fabric is much more shiny which I'm not digging so I'll have to figure out a way to try and bring down the shine and make it more matte.

I also laced the left side of the vest incorrectly. After I laced it I realized it was off and looked at the photo and then figured out how to lace it correctly. I don't know why but that lacing style took me forever to work out hhahahaha!

I HAVE TWO DAYS TO FINISH THIS!! EEEEP!

DSC_2369.jpg

DSC_2370.jpg

DSC_2371.jpg

DSC_2372.jpg

Oh and my updated price tally so far:

4 yards of microsuede for jacket: $72
4 yards of shirt fabric: $24
Exact shoes: $200 on sale
2 Croc Hides: $373.00
Leather Pants from Ebay: $90
Samples of pleather for vest: $20
Pleather for vest: $30
Black grommets: $10
Black leather lacing: $10
Leather Dye and Sealer: $30
---------------------------------
Total so far: $859

Ughhhhh........This whole calculating thing is out of control when you start realizing how much you're spending lol.

Re: Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT WIP- Vest and Shirt COMPLETE! - PIC HEAVY!!

Have you figured out the makeup yet? I have read about mixing things into liquid latex to get texture. Rumple's almost looks like oatmeal.

Lynn

Have you figured out the makeup yet? I have read about mixing things into liquid latex to get texture. Rumple's almost looks like oatmeal.

Lynn

Yeah. We're going to use a stipple brush to stipple liquid latex onto his face and chest and then use airbrush makeup. We figure we'll use a green/grey base with some gold mixed into it lightly. I'll probably also stipple some more metallic gold makeup over the areas that are textured on his skin like he has. His hair will be put into braids the night before with a lot of volume and styling product to get that wild crimped look. I'm going to buy some press on nails from the store and then we'll paint those over with the paint like his. We'll need to do something with his teeth as well to make them grungy. The makeup store in Burbank has loads of pro options including stuff used by pirate cosplayers and the like to make their teeth yellow and grungy.

*dies at the price*, but man is it worth it! This is coming out spectacular!

The vest came out great! That price is pretty staggaring... but the authenticness is making a huge difference, especially with a piece like this.

I can't wait to see it done!! :D

So we still need to do our more pro shots of this costume and some things had to be thrown together faster then I wanted because of time but overall we were really happy with the costume! I'll definitely be redoing the jacket at some point in the future but really that's about it.

RumpelstiltskinRPFHalloween-1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT WIP- COMPLETE!!- Lots of pics

HNNNGG! I so wish you two were coming to Dragon*con so I could see this in person and get shots with him as Regina! This is amazing girl! Can't wait to see more shots of it!

More photos for fun!

RumpelstiltskinRPFHalloween4.jpg

RumpelstiltskinRPFHalloween3.jpg

DSC_2395.jpg

and just for kicks here's me as Galadriel lol. I was going to do the Breathe gown from Ever After but there just wasn't any time.....but I will at some point!! I literally threw this Galadriel gown together in a matter of days. It's completely inaccurate but at that point in time I was just glad to have a costume hahah!

DSC_2386.jpg

Last edited:

Super big fan of the show, you guys did a fantastic job!

And great Galadriel! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back