Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT - Updating jacket and boots with leather!!

Re: Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT WIP - PIC HEAVY!!

This is so amazing! After seeing this thread I watched all the episodes I could from the ABC Player, now I am hooked :) Thanks for sharing so much of your build process. Love seeing the experimentation

This is so amazing! After seeing this thread I watched all the episodes I could from the ABC Player, now I am hooked :) Thanks for sharing so much of your build process. Love seeing the experimentation

Lol I'm so glad!!!!! Hey, it may not be the most profound show out there in the world but I LOVE it! It's my tacky crack lol!!!

If you want to watch more Hulu plus has all the episodes.

WOOT! FINALLY!!!!! An actual sewn piece that I can show off. So this is his shirt that will go under the jacket. You really don't see much of it with the rest of the costume on but it's still an important part lol! The only thing I really need to do is add a little red button on the right side and a fabric loop on the opposite side about 1/3 of the way down the front opening V. I zoomed in real close as well on the few photos that I could find of him wearing this shirt and I'm about 99% positive that this shirt does not have that notched collar so I didn't do the notched collar. It does look like maybe there was some kind of embroidery on the chest area of the shirt but it's barely anything if it is and not recognizable at all. You see this shirt for all of 2 seconds and I've yet to see it ever again so I'm not going to worry about it.

DSC_2273.jpg

DSC_2275.jpg

DSC_2276.jpg

A pic with the sample piece for the jacket just for comparison. I still need some more visible dark spotting here and there that isn't just the latex shiny swirl. I may need to use my black gel for antiquing and see if that will leave some darker areas without seeming like a giant black blob everywhere.

DSC_2277.jpg

Oh and some of my sewing lines are a bit wonky because my stupid lightbulb blew on my machine and I don't have a lamp that can helpfully light my stuff without casting shadows. Unfortunately I have a PFAFF which means parts usually have to be ordered online and take time to get here. Not cool.

Oh and instead of hemming the shirt I surged it......with black and purple......DON'T JUDGE ME!!! It's a personal project so I'm allowed to take liberties lol.

That looks so soft... and the color is amazing! Great job with the collar and cuffs - my least favorite parts to sew. They look perfect.

That looks so soft... and the color is amazing! Great job with the collar and cuffs - my least favorite parts to sew. They look perfect.

It actually photographs pretty nicely. It's funny because the material is really not that great and it isn't the roughest material but I definitely wouldn't say it's soft. But in the photo it looks like silk charmeuse! I'll call that a win lol!

So unfortunately I have to make all my orders priority over this so I do these little bits here and there when I can. It doesn't leave me a lot of time for trial and error that's really accurate though. All I can do is sort of slap some stuff together in a trial and if it mostly works then proceed from there lol. But here is my first attempt at a trial of dyeing the hide. It really looks like I may need to strip it it in order to let the dye take better. The glaze is just really diluting the dye when it goes on because it's not all adhering. So everything looks muted and sort of "puce" like....the color of nothing. Also with the extreme cracks the the cracks get dyed nice and dark but the top is no where near the same color. I need to check out tandy for true leather stripper. I'm thinking maybe legit stuff over acetone may strip the hide without hurting it or over drying it.

DSC_2278.jpg

Also the leg on the right I dyed with just a rag and then used the brown antique gel for leather over it all to give a more brown edge. (these aren't the actual colors I'm using, just the leather dye that I had at home that I am playing around with.) But after I put on the antique gel it just really muddled everything. I know it doesn't help that the colors aren't the actual colors and the rag isn't precise but still....eh......the leg on the left I did with a makeup sponge (all that I had on me) and did not buff as it was drying or dye over it some more. I'm going to let this dry for a while and then buff it up to see what comes off and the final color. Although it still goes on slightly muted. And if the red and black goes on like this then I worry about a brown-ish red and dark brown will really just read like the one on the right. We shall seeeeeeeeeeee............alright, back to my real work.

Here's what you need for dying:

Amazon.com: 2" Foam Brushes; 24 pcs. By Peachtree Woodworking - PW1184: Home Improvement

You let the brush soak up the dye for a minute, then you apply liberally. Try to cover the whole area before it's all soaked in to keep the color even. It'll look quite a bit darker than the final product, it takes about a day to dry. The ideal way to do it is apply the day, let it dry for a day, apply the finish, let that dry for a few hours. Handling it too much while wet with dye or finish can form the leather, I learned that the hard way the first time I dyed a belt and put it on before it was dry. The buckle made a permanent crease. Anyway, the sponge brushes have the least waste, rags tend to absorb and hold dye and the daubers they sell at Tandy lock little bits of fuzz into your work forever.

I second the foam brushes for dying. It gives you great control. You can get them at Home Depot.

Tandy carries Fiebing's Deglazer for removing the finish from leather. Somewhere I read that applying Deglazer again right before dying is recommeded; don't wait for it to dry before applying the dye. I've used this technique ever since.

Lynn

Re: Rumpelstiltskin Costume - Once Upon a Time

Eak! should have been private sorry!

Silly me. I'm new and thought the reply I hit was on PM. Now I can't find a way to delete my mess. Just edit it. sighs

I adore this thread and have had nothing useful to contribute so have been quite.

Better to be thought a fool then prove it by typing. :(

Sorry!

Last edited:

Eak! should have been private sorry!

Silly me. I'm new and thought the reply I hit was on PM. Now I can't find a way to delete my mess. Just edit it. sighs

I adore this thread and have had nothing useful to contribute so have been quite.

Better to be thought a fool then prove it by typing. :(

Sorry!

Lol no worries!! Since you're doing a rumple costume as well feel free to post anything you've been finding and some of your progress as well! The more the merrier!

Lol no worries!! Since you're doing a rumple costume as well feel free to post anything you've been finding and some of your progress as well! The more the merrier!

Especially with something SO intricate! Thank you.

Just a quick note to anyone who cares, I am also making Dear Rumple's costume, but for my son. There is an event he would like to go to so I'm racing the clock, just a bit. :confused

And so, while responding to EveningArwen, I came across some things in my files that are not completely useless. At least in my opinion!

For the vest:

LA-101.jpg

Large Alligator - Leather and Vinyl Products - Coast to Coast Leather & Vinyl

I wrote to them once, but the Midwest contact failed. I am going to try again to their main contact.

And another question, could that be chaps, not just leather pants? I know Bobby leans toward cowboys when he can. In one photo he's wearing a kind of red gauze long "underwear" (Hand outstretched) And when sitting on the rock you can see them.

His feet are indeed tiny. I have a pair of his boots from the SGU auctions. They are Prada, so the $200 you gave for your boots was well spent! Lucky Lucky gal! And a lucky fiance! I think my boy's wider feet may deFEET us on this detail. Hee!

You guys have been my best inspiration. Thank you for posting!

It actually photographs pretty nicely. It's funny because the material is really not that great and it isn't the roughest material but I definitely wouldn't say it's soft. But in the photo it looks like silk charmeuse! I'll call that a win lol!

Oh wow! While it's nice to have fabric that feels good, since so much sharing is by photos, you're so right, having photogenic fabric is a total win! :D

But here is my first attempt at a trial of dyeing the hide. It really looks like I may need to strip it it in order to let the dye take better. The glaze is just really diluting the dye when it goes on because it's not all adhering. So everything looks muted and sort of "puce" like....the color of nothing.

I haven't tried coloring glazed skin like this before, but is dye the only way to do it? I too prefer dye or stains when it comes to coloring fabrics or foam because it feels more natural and longer lasting - but maybe there is some kind of shoe paint that might work?

Also with the extreme cracks the the cracks get dyed nice and dark but the top is no where near the same color. I need to check out tandy for true leather stripper. I'm thinking maybe legit stuff over acetone may strip the hide without hurting it or over drying it.

I know it's not what you're looking for, but sinking in the cracks does look cool for what it did do... Again, I love the details on the process you're including in this thread. Your experimenting means less for those of us reading it. *hehe*

Tandy carries Fiebing's Deglazer for removing the finish from leather. Somewhere I read that applying Deglazer again right before dying is recommeded; don't wait for it to dry before applying the dye. I've used this technique ever since.

Lynn

So would you suggest stripping it first, letting it dry, then stripping it again and dying immediately after? Or would you just strip it and dye it right away?

I am also making Dear Rumple's costume, but for my son. There is an event he would like to go to so I'm racing the clock, just a bit. :confused

Yep I feel your pain lol! I have to have this finished before June 30th along with my orders and my own costume which will be the Breathe gown from Ever After. So much work!!!

And so, while responding to EveningArwen, I came across some things in my files that are not completely useless. At least in my opinion!

For the vest:

LA-101.jpg

Large Alligator - Leather and Vinyl Products - Coast to Coast Leather & Vinyl

I wrote to them once, but the Midwest contact failed. I am going to try again to their main contact.

That is a brilliant find!!! The more print pleather and vinyls to be found the better for all around budgets! I'm curious to know how much this costs and to see it in person.

And another question, could that be chaps, not just leather pants? I know Bobby leans toward cowboys when he can. In one photo he's wearing a kind of red gauze long "underwear" (Hand outstretched) And when sitting on the rock you can see them.

In that photo perhaps but I highly doubt it for his main pants. When watching the "Skin Deep" (the beauty and the beast episode) you can see the back of the pants and they're full on pants. Even in the cinderella episode that I'm doing the costume from when he bows you can see the side of the pants and I don't see any indication of them being chaps. They're just to form fitting to be leather chaps over leather pants or even black long underwear. At least that's what I'm seeing....I could be wrong lol!

I haven't tried coloring glazed skin like this before, but is dye the only way to do it? I too prefer dye or stains when it comes to coloring fabrics or foam because it feels more natural and longer lasting - but maybe there is some kind of shoe paint that might work?

I'm sure you could use spray paint or even acrylic or something of the like but I wouldn't know to the durability of it. Also, with how expensive these hides are I'd like to use the proper stuff on them just in case. The coloring of the leg on the right is actually much more along the lines of what I want and need color wise, it just needs to be a bit more vibrant and obviously with a nicer "paint" job lol! I'll definitely be using those foam brushes!

So would you suggest stripping it first, letting it dry, then stripping it again and dying immediately after? Or would you just strip it and dye it right away?

I typically strip and let it dry to ensure I got all the glaze off. I invariably find spots I missed. Once I am sure all the glaze is gone, then I put a coat of stripper on and immediately start dyeing.

Lynn

So I called Tandy and apparently you can't buy any form of deglazer in CA due to a new law. I asked if they knew if any company would ship deglazer here and they said they shouldn't. But I tried to order some deglazer on Amazon from tandy and it let me go through the whole process just about without alerting me that it couldn't be shipped to CA.

I haven't ordered it yet just in case but has anyone in CA ordered deglazer before and had an issue?

Tandy recommended the acetone stripping or something called Denature alcohol. I think I might give the acetone a try on one of the legs and take it into tandy and have them test dye the area stripped. If it works ok then I might just use all acetone.......or I might just try and order some deglazer and see what happens lol!

Last month I attended a panel at a costuming convention where the presenter was talking about supplies that have been outlawed in California. He noted that some of the Internet suppliers he deals with may have text on them saying that they don't ship to California; many more do not. He has found that very few sites would not ship to California. His advice was "go for it".

What is the reasoning to make such supplies illegal to sell in and ship to California? Is it that they can be used in some nefarious way? I just don't get that at all. I mean, it's like making raw milk illegal... :thumbsdown

It's because they let off miniscule amounts of vapors that could harm the atmosphere, and CA is paranoid about that stuff. The dyes we're allowed to buy here are just awful compared to the ones you can get in other states.

That is a brilliant find!!! The more print pleather and vinyls to be found the better for all around budgets! I'm curious to know how much this costs and to see it in person.
Alas alas. I was contacted and told they only dealt with The Trade, and a tax id number was required. So close and yet so far. So the hunt continues anew. Darn but the vest looks soft. If it were vinyl or leathery this would be SO much easier. Hee.
In that photo perhaps but I highly doubt it for his main pants. When watching the "Skin Deep" (the beauty and the beast episode) you can see the back of the pants and they're full on pants. Even in the cinderella episode that I'm doing the costume from when he bows you can see the side of the pants and I don't see any indication of them being chaps. They're just to form fitting to be leather chaps over leather pants or even black long underwear. At least that's what I'm seeing....I could be wrong lol!
Oooh. I think you are quite right. I was leaning toward the gauze set because I don't want Jr. to pass out in the noonday sun! Even so, that's doing to be one hot outfit. I may need a good sized cricket bat to keep the girls down. Ha! Hmm... thinking on it you might too ;)

Hi, sorry to poke my nose in again. :confused I don't know what your plans are Arwen, for the collar, but I thought I would share a couple more pictures. In Jiminy Cricket's Episode Rumple is at work in his own space. Without the coat they show him to us with the high gator "Jareth" collar (I can't help it. The Labyrinth references with this show amuse my family so much.)

9wejda
598621582.jpg

But in the second picture is Bobby sitting around between takes with the coat off, and lo, nothing on the shoulders. (By the by, does that look like Ostrich on the laced boot uppers to anyone else? His left leg in the sunlight.)

598621850.jpg

I had wondered what that would all feel like bunched up under there. Most likely it's a separate vest, but I wondered about creating something that was removeable... Well in time anyway. As I said, against the clock here. I hope you are doing all right with everything you have to do!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back