Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT - Updating jacket and boots with leather!!

Re: Rumpelstiltskin- NEED LEATHERWORKING HELP!!-PIC HEAVY!!

Hey everyone!

First off I don't know how to do spoiler tags so if you haven't seen Once Upon A Time or haven't seen all of it and don't want a slight spoiler to be revealed then don't go to the thread or read below here. If someone could tell me how to do a spoiler tag because I'm to lazy to look it up myself that would be awesome. Otherwise I will eventually, maybe, sometime in the next year do it myself hahahahaha!

Any of you OUAT fans check out this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f13/once-upon-time-snow-whites-ring-fairy-134761/index2.html#post2256858

The OP is trying to get an interest in a set of vials that would include the True Love potion vial that Rumple has. I'd love to have this vial as part of an accessory for this costume (as well as a quill and contract for people to "sign" when taking pictures) so if any of you might be interested let your voices be heard so this can be done!!!!

Last edited:
Re: Rumpelstiltskin- NEED LEATHERWORKING HELP!!-PIC HEAVY!!

Did this work? Brilliant! Thank you for supporting my laziness lol!

So I'm off to go pick up my croc hides!!!! They were delivered sat but I was out at the Ren Faire all day so we missed it.

Also I'm posting these pics here of my dress because, well I want to share them because I love the pics but this isn't really a costume that needs a whole separate thread sooooo......it also kind of goes along with the fairytale land look..........SHAZAM!

watermarked_2200.jpg

watermarked_2163.jpg

watermarked_2188.jpg

Re: Rumpelstiltskin from OUAT WIP - PIC HEAVY!!

The dress looks stunning on you... I love the cape and the way you styled your hair too! You truly look like you stepped out of a fairytale.

The dress looks stunning on you... I love the cape and the way you styled your hair too! You truly look like you stepped out of a fairytale.

Thanks so much! I've been planning that gown forever lol. Unfortunately some of the detail was a bit washed out because the sun was so bright and it's hard to photograph a mostly ivory outfit without it all blending together. But overall I thought the photos themselves turned out really pretty.

So I got the hides and they're brilliant!!!! I can't wait to start going at 'em. I laid them on my male mannequin and you can already see that they want to start falling into that natural collar shape. The tails need some edge trimming as they're a bit wide and obviously I need to cut out the legs and put in the gussets. I'm going to take the back portion and trim of the outer side and then use that to line the inner part of the collar. everything else I'll leave unlined because I just couldn't afford a third hide for this. I'm thinking about possibly gluing some thing wire into the upper part of the collar as well in between the two layers to help give some support and to help it stand up with more stability. But I haven't officially decided on that yet.

DSC_2234.jpg

DSC_2235.jpg

Side view, collar already flipping up but need to trim tails a bit so I can scoot the hide closer to the neck and have a bit more collar to stand up.

DSC_2236.jpg

The back where it will be hand stitched together and formed into a v and then the outside edging will be cut to the shape in the photos of his back and side.

I'm working on a much, MUCH more budget friendly Rumpel for myself, and may I just say that this looks fantastic!

When Eddy told me Rumpel was all baby crocodile...he wasn't kidding!

It's amazing how that skin just stands up on it's own as if it wants to be a collar! I wonder if they draped it to design the jacket!

So, you scared to start cutting? *hehe* That's one of the worst parts for me when it comes to using expensive or hard to find fabrics...

Chadificus, what are you using for material?

I'm working on a much, MUCH more budget friendly Rumpel for myself, and may I just say that this looks fantastic!

When Eddy told me Rumpel was all baby crocodile...he wasn't kidding!

The hard thing is, is when you invest major money in one aspect (for us it was the shoes) it's hard to not go all out because you think "Am I really going to waste the money that I spent on the shoes by not doing the rest of the outfit just as accurate?". It's a horrible strategy lol but usually we pick one costume each a year that we go all out on. That's going to have to stop though this year with baby on the way unfortunately lol so now we're going to go out with a bang with Rumple hahahaha!

It's amazing how that skin just stands up on it's own as if it wants to be a collar! I wonder if they draped it to design the jacket!

So, you scared to start cutting? *hehe* That's one of the worst parts for me when it comes to using expensive or hard to find fabrics...

Chadificus, what are you using for material?

SO SCARED! But......the good thing is is because of how the hide so naturally wants to lay there isn't to many guess cuttings or to many cuts to make in general. So I think there's pretty small chance or error hahhaha! I'm more afraid of stripping the hide and dyeing it actually. If that goes wrong I don't know what I'll do. I'll probably practice on one of the legs that I cut off.

Unless the guy that sold you the hides told you to strip them, I'd recommend you don't. There was somebody on here giving advice to do so in every thread he could and I finally got around to trying it with really awful results. It dried out the leather, causing it to soak up the dye too fast, which removed all control over the shade of the color and left a lot of splotchy uneven spots. If I were using black dye it would have been fine, but with reddish brown it made the whole thing a mess.

Unless the guy that sold you the hides told you to strip them, I'd recommend you don't. There was somebody on here giving advice to do so in every thread he could and I finally got around to trying it with really awful results. It dried out the leather, causing it to soak up the dye too fast, which removed all control over the shade of the color and left a lot of splotchy uneven spots. If I were using black dye it would have been fine, but with reddish brown it made the whole thing a mess.

He said that I should because the dye won't take with the glaze on top. Apparently I can buy a special glaze from Tandy that will strip the glaze off, then re-dye it and then reglaze it again.

But if the dye will take over the glaze I can try that instead. I'll have to experiment it seems.

I'd recommend you put some dye on a scrap that you cut off without stripping it first and see how you like it. I've been doing this for going on 4 years now and aside from that one test I've never stripped raw leather.

I'd recommend you put some dye on a scrap that you cut off without stripping it first and see how you like it. I've been doing this for going on 4 years now and aside from that one test I've never stripped raw leather.

Well this leather isn't raw, it's been put into a vat and dyed and then glazed to be shiny, will that make a difference?

Went to the store today and bought some more fabric!

Went to Mood and got some micro suede for the jacket and some poly something or other material for the shirt. Originally I found some lovely silk that would have been so perfect but it would have been $80 just for enough material for the shirt and I have to draw the line somewhere hahaha. Maybe next year I'll upgrade the shirt but for now this poly lining/silk wanna be/taffeta almost texture but not as rough or heavy will have to do.

The micro suede is to suede like so I'm going to run an iron over it on super hot to try and "melt" it a little bit and get some slight burn shine going on. And then I may rub some type of red brown shoe polish in it like I did with my Mad Hatter jacket to get some more weathering look on there. Without buying real leather there is just nothing else out there that would work in the pleather field at this moment.

Here's everything lying together so you can start to see the colors coming together and how they'll start to blend. I ran some leather dye over the pleather sample piece for the vest and I think it's going to do real well. It's mostly in the center of the sample piece where you can see it is blacker while the edges are more of that dark brown. Once I get the technique down to how I want it I'll make sure the dye stays on top but doesn't get deposited to much into the grooves so they keep their red brown color.

DSC_2259.jpg

And here's a slight closer look at the blacks all together matching with the shoes, the pants, the vest material that will be more evenly dyed black and the bottom pleather croc fabric that I will use for the leggings I think. Also once I do the swirls (in either glue or silicone or some kind of sticky substance that I can paint on but will dry flat and shiny.....maybe just some paint glaze or something) then the microsuede will have a more dark texture look to it as well to blend some more.

DSC_2260.jpg

So excited!!!!!

Also, added:

4 yards of microsuede for jacket: $72
4 yards of shirt fabric: $24
Exact shoes: $200 on sale
2 Croc Hides: $373.00
Leather Pants from Ebay: $90
Samples of pleather for vest: $20
---------------------------------
Total so far: $779

I couldn't imagine trying to actually make this for someone else. "Yeah that'll be $2500."

edit*****

you can kind of see here on the mad hatter lapel what I did by adding some wax like shoe polish to the jacket. It mostly shows on the collar. But I was real timid when doing it to this because I didn't know what it would do. For Rumple's jacket I'll be much more vigorous!

DSC_0233.jpg

I made out like a bandit on some Faux Leather and Faux croc that I have textured the dickens out of, and I also got some shoes that are the same basic style that are going to double as my Captain Hook shoes. Rumpel is one that I will update slowly over time methinks, I have to dash back and forth to LA a lot this summer so most of my money went to that.

I have a blacksmith friend making me the dagger though.

Feel free to post some pics here of your progress or when it's finished!!!! I'm glad that there are others who are interested in this costume but I'm also glad it isn't as huge as other costumes since it still makes it a bit unique. :D

I hope I'm able to finish this with enough time to actually pursue some of the prop aspects I want to go with this costume but we shall see. That may have to be for next time.

So I'm playing around with the fabric for the coat. Here is what I'm coming up with so far.

I need to have those swirls and I have no clue how they did them in the movie and even if I did I probably wouldn't be able to afford to do them the same way. So instead what I've done is taken my micro suede fabric and sprayed a bunch of water on it and then set my iron on full steam to help flatten and sort of burn the nap down so it's not so suede/fuzzy looking. It also helps to darken the color and make it slick and worn in places. Then I took some leather dye called Gel Antique which is sort of like dye but more of a glossy deposit to help make an already existing color a bit richer and also worn in area where there are raised bits to the leather. Basically I'm using this stuff not for its intended purpose lol. But it helps darken fabrics and sort of slick them down without really dyeing fabrics or being to much color. It's in a saddle tan color as well so it blends into the microsuede color. For the swirl on the left I used spirit gum and I'm liking how it's looking but man.....it takes a lot to do the amount that I'm going to need. Maybe with a better brush it'll go faster but spirit gum wipes off the brush pretty fast so you're constantly dipping it. I'm trying the liquid latex on the other side to see what that does. I may try something like silicone as well....but maybe not. I like how the spirit gum dries clear but sort of tacky and helps to darken the fabric and still stay in a thin layer. Then I added a bit of gold makeup paint (because that's what I had) to help it shine a bit. In the first picture I posted of his costume it looks like maybe the swirls could do with some color. But lightly like the area that I drew the arrow at. The rest is a bit to much. I'll have to see how the latex dries before I know what to think of that.

DSC_2262.jpg

And this is what I'm trying to replicate for those that may not remember from past photos:

swirlcloseup.jpg

Also remember that his coat is SO much darker in this picture/episode because it is at night while the earlier photos on page 2 show the coat in the day time where it has a much more brown red color with darkness throughout. I think with some more paint and also stuff like oil and what not to help slick it down more (I might try throwing a piece of fabric in some boiling hot water to see what that does) and also more swirls that will help give the coat an all around darker look. But it still needs to blend with the reddish brown and black of the croc tails.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE what you're doing to weather this fabric! What a great idea to burn it... And thank you for sharing your trials because that is the most fun part for me!

Some other stuff I've used to weather fabrics and foam that you might try during this experimental phase -

fabric paint - which comes in gold and clear and you could mix the two... You could either have a raised edge to give it depth or smear it for just the color/texture.

For a leather look I use varnish that I then iron (I know, it's flammable, but I'm really, really careful). I don't know what that would do to micro suede, but thought I'd mention it. (I'm about to post the boot I mentioned in my PM to the Legolas thread...)

heat n-bond, which aids in the burning process to age something. You just use it like you're supposed to, maybe iron on a swirly shaped fabric piece, and then a little bit longer, then peal off the two pieces of fabric you bonded off of each other when the glue is almost all burnt off. It leaves a sort of darkened, tiny bit stiffer look.

If I think of some others I'll let you know... aging is so fun. :D

Of course! I love sharing trial and error! I don't know why people don't want to share that kind of info more often on build threads because half the time that is what can really help a new person learn how to do something, by seeing the stages of what a costume (or prop I would assume as well) goes through before it becomes the final product. I hate it when I see a great build thread where there's a photo of pieces of something and then all of a sudden it's finished lol! I'm always like "WAIT! How did you do that?!?!?"

So the liquid latex:

The first latex swirl on the right I put this metallic powder on the latex once dried to take away the tackiness but to also give it a shine. I didn't have the powder in gold, just silver but if I used this method I would have used gold. But I'm not going to because his swirls really aren't colored. It's just in the above picture they have a huge shine to them and that's what makes them seem almost metallic. But on the photos on page two you can clearly see there is no color in them.

So instead, I redid some more latex swirls with no color and just let the latex dry and then put a shine liquid over the latex to again, take away the tackiness so it doesn't stick to anything and also bring out the shine quality of the latex. I actually really like it and I'm about 90% sure this is the route I'm going to take. I'll need to use a brush or a better applicator tip to make the latex go on more smoothly but overall I like it. I also added another layer of gel dye to darken and slick it down and also some baby oil on top of that. I don't know if the baby oil did anything but at this point I'm just slathering things on to help wear this fabric down.

DON'T TRY AND BURN THIS FABRIC WITH A FLAME!! It will work somewhat but the fabric just kind of shrinks and turns brittle. I know that is probably a big giant "duh" to some lol but we decided to try it just in case.

Here's a closeup with a comparison to the fabric on the far left in it's original state:

DSC_2267.jpg

And here are the samples with all the products I've been using behind them so others can see specifically what it is I'm using:

DSC_2264.jpg

And please! Post more weathering info on here! This way worked for me but someone else may want to use a different method or may be using different material then what I'm using!!!

Another great weathering product is Ben Nye's Fuller's Earth Ash Powder ben nye

and shoe polish. It comes in such an array of colors. Just figured out there's olive shoe polish, which is AWESOME, since I need that for my bf's Legolas boots! If you want to make it look older and more worn, try taking different thicknesses of sandpaper to it or a dremel.

But this is looking fabulous! This will be the best Rumple out there!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back