George Lucas says Han never shot first, you were just confused

George secretly works for The Onion and/or is discreetly filming a reality show about jerking the fans' chains... :)

(Uh-oh, can't stop getting caught up in this now)

Ugh, what an ass. At this point, I honestly think Lucas is just so bitter and fed up with everyone hating him for the new trilogy and the "revisions" to the original trilogy, that he's decided to focus on being the biggest troll he can be.

Or he's just gone completely bonkers.

Also, WHERE is micdavis on this?! I figured he would have jumped in at some point. I do enjoy is comments towards these Star Wars debates. (And I'm sincere about that, not being sarcastic.)

I think Mic mighta gotten burned out from all the anti Star Wars thread. I can't blame Lucas if he's eccentric, if i had the much cash i would be too (well more so than I am now). The yes men and people surrounding him is the entire problem.

Bottom line is this - Lucas was NEVER the "creative genius" he was cracked up to be.

The success of Star Wars was a mix of luck, and a pool of talent from across all disciplines of the film-maknig process. This is because it germinated at a time when GL had to rely more heavily on others...

Preaching to the choir here, but we all know that the more independent he got, the worse his films were.

But even in the beginning, he was not a creative genius - more like a creative LUNATIC. His ideas leading into SW was voluminous, eecentric, unfilmable, chaotic - I could go on...

Were it not for those around him who corraled his creative lunacy (and at the same time offered their own input) SW would have been a stinking pile of you-know-what, and B-Movie fare at best.

Key elements where GL got lucky, or indirectly relied on - or direclty benefitted from - others:
--Williams ponying up to score the film
--The Huyck's salvaging of the script (at least dialogue) via their script doctoring
--Kurtz's push-back
--The quality of work (eventually) turned in by the nascent ILM
--The rich production design executed into reality by the British film crews
--That Jones agreed to voice Vader

The list goes on... Imagine SW if you took away just ONE of these elements.

Do it now.

Imagine the opening withOUT the most efffective film score of all time, and/or without the stunning effect of the SD coming overhead. What IF Jones passed on doing Vader? Just another deep voice would not have been the same...

Film is a collaborative effort. ALL good films are generally the result of a combination of key ingredients, as described above. I suppose at the time Star Wars was no different.

The difference was that there WAS an ecclectic combination of talent. A good and diverse "gene-pool" of talent that has since dwindled away as GL has taken more and more control over his work.

Last edited:
As for Lucas' comments, I have no idea what he thinks he's going to accomplish. Those of us who have repeatedly seen the original theatrical releases of the Original Trilogy movies know what we saw; no amount of revisionism is going to change that no matter how often he repeats himself.

Not to him.
See, he considers his movies (namely ANH) to go down in history as a "classic" alongside The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, etc. (maybe it is, maybe it isn't, not really my point). His vision is to catch it early (relitively speaking) and change it so that in, oh, say 50 years from now, the ONLY version of the movie anyone will know is the final one he's released. We we be sitting on the porch telling our grandkids how Greedo never shot. They will of course look at us and think, "riiiiiiiiiiight...the old man's lost it!"
That's GL's goal. To sweep the original version under the carpet and wipe it from history...which he's pretty much done. Now he has to work on our memories, cloud our minds so that we start second guessing ourselves. Once THAT's accomplished, he's met his goal. This is why he will never release an "original" version as this goes against everything he's working towards.
My recommendation? Get the original version from a laser disc rip. Keep it forever and keep the original alive before everybody forgets. :confused

Wow...that came off as a bit dramatic, didn't it? :lol

Most of his ideas for what "Return of the Jedi" should have been like are pretty bizzare, and IMO would have resulted in a worse film.

Difficult to say but apart from Darth Vader who (in my opinion) looks best in ROTJ - the film was a real let down. I don't think it would have been much worse than the actual release.

I don't usually step in to these quagmires but...
I would love to take his citing of Blade Runner having multiple cuts and changes so why are folks balking line, and turn it on him. Yes George but, the original cut of BR is still there preserved remastered and in hi def. <This is all I ask! If you do this George, you can add product placements, new absurd characters, give Luke a digital hair cut or bastardize it however you want and I won't say boo.
Doug
Yes, Ridley Scott gave us ALL versions, so not really the best example to pull out as a defense for altering movies. :facepalm

ab909f6a-23a2-4846-919a-5ecab3f83d74.jpg
YES... where IS that man? Was he taken over by an evil clone or what? He's most definitely lost his way... so... where's his son to redeem him???

That article about his ex wife is fascinating. He really is just a broken hearted man who doesn't feel anything.

You notice he takes arguably the most emotionally intense moments and fumbles them. Vader rising was ridiculous.

Padme dying is a joke. What mother have you ever met that just had two perfect beautiful babies DIES of a broken heart. It don't happen.

And now he adds words to the most intense moment in all three movies when Vader turns on the Emporer. I get goosebumps thinking of that scene its so powerful and he crapped on it.

Its all so clear he is Data, a robot with no sense of emotion. He knows that you are supposed to be emotional he just doesn't understand why.

I actually feel sorry for him

The National Film Registry and The American Film Institute should seriously consider removing 'Star Wars' from their listings, because the original film (warts and all) doesn't exist anymore.

The National Film Registry and The American Film Institute should seriously consider removing 'Star Wars' from their listings, because the original film (warts and all) doesn't exist anymore.

I couldn't agree more.

I KNOW THE TRUTH and no amount of cgi can take that away,Han shot Greedo ,Greedo died,Han went on to be a hero of the rebellion,while Greedo became a stain on the cantina floor

The saddest part is that even though a lot of people don't like what he has done to the films time and again most of the 'haters' are going to go see all the 3D releases and give him more money proving that no matter what he does to these films, no matter how bad everyone complains and hates him for it...we will still pony the cash up and see them again. Even if everyone has 5 different copies in their living room. The only real way to show him that we won't negotiate with a film terrorist is NOT go see them in the theater OR buy them again on whatever format comes out. But that won't happen. Because it is the Wars.

The Arab swordsman shot first. The original cut just made Indy out to be a coldblooded, remorseless killer.

Actually, Indy shooting the swordsman was Harrison adlibbing. There was supposed to be a big fight scene, but Harrison was sick. The change went over so well with the cast and crew (except the swordsman who was supposed to get his 15 seconds of fame), that it got put into the final cut.

Actually, Indy shooting the swordsman was Harrison adlibbing. There was supposed to be a big fight scene, but Harrison was sick. The change went over so well with the cast and crew (except the swordsman who was supposed to get his 15 seconds of fame), that it got put into the final cut.

I'm pretty sure he was kidding. :lol

Watch the scene (the ORIGINAL cut) - it's edited perfectly.
Han's position doesn't change from his, 'Yeah, I bet you have,' line to the shot of Greedo being hit and falling head first onto the table. The shots of Han removing the leather strip across the holster to release the blaster - it's all there.
Solo when introduced to us IS a threat to Luke and Obi - and not the benevolent character GL now makes him out to be.

George, for all you've given me over the years, I thank you, but unfortunately you're digging yourself a big hole here. Leave it and admit (for once) you're wrong.

You should be sorry for the mess, not Han.

Not to him.
See, he considers his movies (namely ANH) to go down in history as a "classic" alongside The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, etc. (maybe it is, maybe it isn't, not really my point). His vision is to catch it early (relitively speaking) and change it so that in, oh, say 50 years from now, the ONLY version of the movie anyone will know is the final one he's released. We we be sitting on the porch telling our grandkids how Greedo never shot. They will of course look at us and think, "riiiiiiiiiiight...the old man's lost it!"
That's GL's goal. To sweep the original version under the carpet and wipe it from history...which he's pretty much done. Now he has to work on our memories, cloud our minds so that we start second guessing ourselves. Once THAT's accomplished, he's met his goal. This is why he will never release an "original" version as this goes against everything he's working towards.
My recommendation? Get the original version from a laser disc rip. Keep it forever and keep the original alive before everybody forgets. :confused

Wow...that came off as a bit dramatic, didn't it? :lol

Been watching Book of Eli or reading Farenheit 451 of late? :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back