Build of the PotC Map (Mao Kun Charts)

Zlurpo

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm going to start soon on a 1:1 replica of the map/chart used in Pirates of the Caribbean 3. I'm trying to find the biggest, best file of them available. I already have this one, which is huge and that's great, but it has it's obvious problems. I can fix some of them in photoshop, combining images from other shots of the map. But I want to know if there's one out there that is already... fixed.

I know there are a couple members that already made their own versions, two of those members have been banned so I can't really ask them what files they used. Any help, posted here or PM'd would be greatly appreciated!

(Edit: I also have access to everything on this site.)

Last edited:
Re: Help with PotC Map (Mao Kun Charts)

I have this one but it appears you have been helped.

MapPOTCLargesansSeem.jpg

I would like to do a new one of these myself but I don't have a copy with the right side. And now that I have a good pic of the back, this would be awesome to find.

DSC_0044.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj87/dbcooper2/Pirates of the Caribbean/PirateLetterandMap1F.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj87/dbcooper2/Pirates of the Caribbean/DSC_0050.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj87/dbcooper2/Pirates of the Caribbean/DSC_0043.jpg

Will like to see pics of your when you get finished. As for the slat backing I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and got some place mattes, they have one larger than the one I used. Just need to remove the fabric and spray paint.

Zlurpo - thanks for the link.

Best,
DBCooper

I have this one but it appears you have been helped.

I would like to do a new one of these myself but I don't have a copy with the right side. And now that I have a good pic of the back, this would be awesome to find.

I have been making one with the right side intact for the past several minutes (photoshop ho!). It uses one of those links (the full framed map) to get the border right. Also adds a bit to the top and bottom. I'll let you know when it's done.

The version I'm working toward will also have all of the writing--the stuff that looks like Chinese characters until the rings are spun. "Up is down" etc. Maybe the cup of life, too, but I don't like the map part that has "El Florida" or whatever it says. I'd be happy to make more than one version of the file, if what you're looking for is going to be similar to what I'm going for.

Anyone who has done this before, I'm curious about a few things.

Does anyone know how many versions of the map were used in the movie? Not even counting OST, there are inconsistencies. I'm not sure if the map is supposed to be supernatural, or it there are supposed to be multiple versions.
For instance, the words "sunrise sets flash of green" move from being inward-facing on the inside ring to being outward-facing on a farther out ring.
What has been done before? Is there an official or best version?
I'm asking in part because after I finish all of my photoshopping to create a big version with the lettering on it, I want to let it be available to anyone, and I want it to look the "right" way.

If there's no preference, then I'll make a sort of compilation based on screenshots and my own preference.

I think you are the first to attempt such a detailed version of this map. I did mine but I just used the copy available.

You seem to have a lot of leeway with this. You may want to view the extras on the DVD or Bluray. There was a section on the map specific and they talked about different versions of it.

Hope this helps,
DBCooper

I've worked for a few hours on adding all of the text. I just picked which versions I wanted (pretty sure it's the same at the movie, but there's a chance it changed in the movie, so no promises).
As far as I can tell, the phrases that can be made with the spinning letters are "up is down," "sunrise sets flash of green" and "over the edge over again." If there's more than that, please let me know!!

Here's a small version of what I have so far. This is just a small one so people can see what it's looking like. I've also changed the colors a bit so the're not so bright red/orange, trying to get closer to the movie. This version also includes all of the right side of the map, as well as the top and bottom (cut off in many available pictures of the map).
View attachment 83616
The file I'm working with is enormous!

Meh, can't see much in that one, here's a zoomed in shot of the middle part of the map.

View attachment 83617

Last edited:

Got it. Thanks to sparrowed for the help!

Yep, Sparrowed is a real diamond!! Hopefully she'll be around these parts more real soon!

Per the map--
Of what I remember from back in the day of the stories being told is that there were two different maps. One that just rolled up like a mat, and another fancy smancy map that was on a dual level metal plate that had been precision cut into rings and each ring moved independently. This map could not roll up. Via the editing we are made to believe it is one prop, but it's isn't, it's a two part deal.
IIRC--

So, if you can make it with rings that turn and also able to be rolled up, I'm pretty sure that will be a first!

Shylaah

Per the map--
Of what I remember from back in the day of the stories being told is that there were two different maps. One that just rolled up like a mat, and another fancy smancy map that was on a dual level metal plate that had been precision cut into rings and each ring moved independently. This map could not roll up. Via the editing we are made to believe it is one prop, but it's isn't, it's a two part deal.

I already knew they used two maps for rolling/spinning, I was also wondering if there were two different viewed layouts of the map. Well three; I know there are two, one with and one without the cup of life. I'm wondering if there's clear shots of the writing on the map.

From what im told the main reason the OST map didnt match the prior films is the original map file couldnt be located so a new one was put together. I do know an original unaltered map was later secured and used to CGI in on some shots but it was so late in the game not everything could be fixed.

Liberties were taken in the films to further sell the close up text as readable. Not sure if that answers your question about text not following suite.

My measurements put the map at about 36"x41" which includes the approx 1" border around the colored/printed part.
I measure each slat to be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide. What I end up using will likely depend on the availability and cost of materials, since it's not clear what it is in the movie (or if it's even uniform in the movie).
For the back, I'll get bamboo slats (or stakes, or whatever works best. Maybe pieces from placemats or blinds, we'll see) and attach (glue?) them to the slats. Actuall design details coming soon.

Your progress is AMAZING! Very excited for the outcome of this project. I didn't realize so much of the map was missing, the edges.

Best,
DBCooper

Here's what I'm thinking so far for the Cup of Life. I like it on the map, but I don't like the version of the map that it's on, with La Florida and the changes of the islands. So I superimposed the cup and angel of death thing onto this map in a fairly empty spot.
When I upload the large version of the file, I'll probly upload one with and one without the Cup.

Thoughts? Preferences?
View attachment 83714

I bought some bamboo blinds from Lowes today, cost about $25 for 36"x72." So I'll have some extra. I've made a diagram of how I'm actually going to build this thing, in case anyone is curious.

The green rings indicate where a spinning section will be on the map. The colored bar is a cross section. The red layer is the bamboo slats, the yellow layer is going to be a backing layer. The blue layer is going to be the rings themselves and, where there aren't any rings on the map, it'll be thicker layers of the backing material (probably plywood, since it is not likely to warp, although I may go with some form of plastic or aluminum to guarantee no warping). The top layer (pink/purple) is going to be some form of laminate, like you would put on a countertop. This will be covered by the printed map.
View attachment 83771
Did any of that make sense?

>>>clip<<<
The green rings indicate where a spinning section will be on the map. The colored bar is a cross section. The red layer is the bamboo slats, the yellow layer is going to be a backing layer. The blue layer is going to be the rings themselves and, where there aren't any rings on the map, it'll be thicker layers of the backing material (probably plywood, since it is not likely to warp, although I may go with some form of plastic or aluminum to guarantee no warping). The top layer (pink/purple) is going to be some form of laminate, like you would put on a countertop. This will be covered by the printed map.
View attachment 83771
Did any of that make sense?

And this is going to ROLL up? :confused

Ok, a few of you guessed it. I'm gonna build a 1:1 replica of the map from Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. And the goal is that it will roll up AND have spinning discs in the middle. Conceptually, I already know how to make this work. Here's hoping it works well!

Shylaah

And this is going to ROLL up? :confused

Shylaah

Yes haha. That diagram was just the cross section, but the whole thing will be comprised of slats about 3/4" wide, so if all of them are pointed in the same direction, it should roll up no problem. At some point I hope to make "blueprints" that make more sense...

The issue with your plan and rolling up is the same reason why it wasnt done for the films. Every layer adds not only thickness but tension. When layed out flat things are close spacing, when rolled up they are expanded. The roll up idea works but reality has a way of putting its touch on things. In the end it made no sense to make a functional map, problem solved.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back