Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic...

<div class='quotetop'>(Treadwell @ Oct 6 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]1333527[/snapback]</div>
I can understand how it would seem that way, but it is a legitimate photographical concern.
[/b]

Totally agree, Treadwell, but apparently wanting to get a better shot in the movie means the filmakers are racists...

Back to the Bulldog...when I was working at WDW in 2002, it was behind the magic kingdom in an area they call PLUTOPark. This is the same "boneyard" where they kept the old 20,000 subs and boats from Jungle Cruise, as well as the santa hat for the Tower. The cafe was in two pieces, lying side by side on the ground. There was a giant hole in one side of it. If I dig around my storage unit, I'm sure I have a photo somewhere. The bus from Roger Rabbit was there as well, along with several other burnt out cars and the boat from that crappy BlackJack movie. Disney has a nasty habit of keeping things just to hold on to them, but not caring in the least how bad they decay. If anyone still lives/works at Disney, and doesn't know where PLUTOPark is, PM me and I'll send you directions to get into it...maybe you can post photos of it's current contents.

Doesn't sound a lot different than the Lucas Archives...someone posted photos awhile back of the Ark, with crap piled on it, and mentioned how parts were broken off...

I also remember the "Rocketeer" pieces from the tour. I moved to the California Central Coast a couple years back and just recently discovered the film was shot near here. I drove over to a local airport a week or so ago and there it was: Bigelow (Big O) Aviation. The hanger is pretty impressive. Even more impressive: I assumed it was a "location;" instead, I found it was a set (we're talking MASSIVE timbers inside) that was originally placed well away from town, dismantled, and re-assembled as part of an air museum. I would guess it has been repainted as the Big O logo shows no fading.

Interest in "Rocketeer" memorabilia seems to have waned so I've made arrangements to donate my collection to the museum; the curator is excited because he was already wanting to pump-up the currently weak exhibit they have on the film. Too bad the diner, Bee Gee, and autogyro couldn't be brought out here but it would probably be cost prohibitive and there really isn't the staff to do any restoration anyway.

It is a shame that those sorts of props can't be maintained but you have to be realistic: They were never meant to have lasted and that makes them all that much harder to maintain. To have built them to last in the first place is counter productive because no one can justify the added expense of construction and transport (as they would undoubtedly weigh more), especially if the title in question tanks (and let's face it, while we all probably LOVE the "Rocketeer," it never really found it's audience).

I went on the Universal (CA) Tour a few months back and a good chunk of Whooville from "The Grinch" is still there. Now, I appreciate the effort that went into all the oddly-shaped custom buildings and vehicles, but guys, tear it down: It's covered in spray-on snow and after seven years in the elements, it just looks like crap. It's not cute. It's creepy.

If they ever arranged to get the Bee Gee, Autogyro, and the Bulldog Cafe out there to Bigelow's, I'd help restore it for free as long as I got an occasional Free Sandwich from the Cafe. :D :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(Poor Man's James Bond @ Oct 7 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]1333820[/snapback]</div>
I also remember the "Rocketeer" pieces from the tour. I moved to the California Central Coast a couple years back and just recently discovered the film was shot near here. I drove over to a local airport a week or so ago and there it was: Bigelow (Big O) Aviation. The hanger is pretty impressive. Even more impressive: I assumed it was a "location;" instead, I found it was a set (we're talking MASSIVE timbers inside) that was originally placed well away from town, dismantled, and re-assembled as part of an air museum. I would guess it has been repainted as the Big O logo shows no fading.

Interest in "Rocketeer" memorabilia seems to have waned so I've made arrangements to donate my collection to the museum; the curator is excited because he was already wanting to pump-up the currently weak exhibit they have on the film. Too bad the diner, Bee Gee, and autogyro couldn't be brought out here but it would probably be cost prohibitive and there really isn't the staff to do any restoration anyway.

It is a shame that those sorts of props can't be maintained but you have to be realistic: They were never meant to have lasted and that makes them all that much harder to maintain. To have built them to last in the first place is counter productive because no one can justify the added expense of construction and transport (as they would undoubtedly weigh more), especially if the title in question tanks (and let's face it, while we all probably LOVE the "Rocketeer," it never really found it's audience).

I went on the Universal (CA) Tour a few months back and a good chunk of Whooville from "The Grinch" is still there. Now, I appreciate the effort that went into all the oddly-shaped custom buildings and vehicles, but guys, tear it down: It's covered in spray-on snow and after seven years in the elements, it just looks like crap. It's not cute. It's creepy.
[/b]

I think the sad thing is that there are probably a hundred people that would take care of the stuff, work to preserve it and help find or make a home for it. But Disney literally just wants to keep stuff like the GeeBee mockup and autogiro for no reason. And in this case, it really is for no reason.

Stuff built for movies may not be built to last forever but with even the slightest effort it can last a long time.

I mean, take a look at the stuff Bob Burns has... granted he doesn't take care of it very well but he's managed to save stuff just by being willing to store it when the studios got tired of it. In that sense he's saved countless original items simply by letting folks know he'd preserve the stuff.

But you take a place like Disney and they hang onto stuff even though they refuse to sell the Rocketeer rights back to the creator or Joe Johnston while still having absolutely no plans to ever do anything further with it. What props they had they've either sold or let walk out of the warehouse. They really couldn't give a crap.

<div class='quotetop'>(propsculptor @ Oct 7 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1333913[/snapback]</div>
If they ever arranged to get the Bee Gee, Autogyro, and the Bulldog Cafe out there to Bigelow's, I'd help restore it for free as long as I got an occasional Free Sandwich from the Cafe. :D :thumbsup
[/b]

I certainly wish they'd take you up on the offer...

Oh, and just a bit of trivia in case anybody is interested, in searching for information about the autogiro, I learned the hard way that the old spelling was with an "i" instead of a "y". I have no idea why but just thought I'd mention it to keep folks from thinking I have a spelling problem :p

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I had always assumed they filmed the exterior shots in Florida on the backlot.

Loving the Rocketeer threads today. I thought I'd read them all, but this one slipped under the radar somehow first-time around.

I don't see the set fitting in the mockup in those pictures. If the set had an exterior to it, it would not surprise me, but as for the mockup in the pics and on the Florida backlot, there simply isn't room in there. Look at the slope of the dog's back.

on the other hand:
5081217473_382b1e60a6.jpg

I dunno. Still a bit tight?

on the other hand:
5081217473_382b1e60a6.jpg

I dunno. Still a bit tight?

A few more pics attached here for scale reference... Note tight filming conditions (no reason for this if it had been filmed on a soundstage outside the Bulldog confines) and costumed person standing on top of Bulldog Cafe at Disney-MGM Studio.

I own two small pieces of the MGM Bulldog Cafe..I own piece of the step and small piece of the body...They are tiny, but still cool to have.

I have more info on the bulldog, but I need to search for it..I probably wont get to it this week since my time is limited

Production Model Bulldog Café with pieces from the MGM Bulldog Café. Also, a HERO-Screen-used Bulldog Café Menu.

687b51d9.jpg

The more I look, the more I am totally convinced that the Bulldog Cafe on the Disney-MGM Backlot Tour was full-scale. Take a look at the scale comparisons with someone taller than the Agent standing next to the GeeBee in the attached pictures. What do you guys think?

Actually, come to think of it. I know a crew member that did the some planning and history of the bulldog cafe for the rocketeer. He was on set for various scenes. Later this week, i will send him a email asking him if he knows how many were built. Hopefully, he remembers.

Did the tour this past September and took these pictures in the warehouse leading to the tram. Looks like they have a least 5 jetpacks up there.

DSC03697.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC03698.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC03699.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes, The Bulldog Cafe mockup on the Disney MGM backlot was full scale. Thanks to a cast member (my cousin), I had access to it for a couple of hours back in the day. I went inside of it through the back door. On the interior it had criss crossing steel cables that were hooked up at mounting points on the ground. There was a couple of inches of water inside due to the daily downpours that had been happening. The full scale interior set (which was quite small) could have easily fit inside, but was of course, not present. We took a number of photographs. We even had a fan made Rocketeer helmet to pose with in pics. If I can get them scanned I'll post them.

Thanks for clearing this up. Did it look like the interior had been separated or removed from the outside shell? And what was it made of? One source I've read said some kind of "durable foam". Can't wait to see the pics!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back