Articulated Gothic gauntlet patterns

Ghostsoldier

Sr Member
Guys,
I'm going to try my hand at building a set of articulated gaunts for a Nazgul costume I'm working on (among others ), and I was wondering if anyone here has any leads to where I might find patterns for articulated gauntlets?

I know I'll have to modify them to make them LOTR SA (fluting, scallops, etc.), but a 'starting' pattern would sure be a good head start; otherwise, I'm going to have to draft them by hand...not a problem, per se, but a little time-consuming, unless I can find a base pattern to modify.

Any suggestions?

Rob

Will-do.

But, after reading in a resource that a lot of the WETA armor was actually made of plastic, I'm also considering the aspect of making these using the vacuum-form technique...it sure would make getting those fluting details (as well as the knuckle plates) a LOT easier to do....

Rob

A lot of the Elven stuff was plastic, and maybe some of the background characters as well. The maille was made from pvc pipe. But in the documentaries on WETA Workshop, Sauron's suit is made from steel, and I would bet that with all the articulation, the Nazgul armor was as well.

If you haven't already, check out the suits that Kropserkel did, they're works of art:
Kropserkel: Dark Rider Nazgul WitchKing costume and armor

And be sure to check out Eric Dube's videos on armor making. They're really inspiring, and you get to see him doing a decent amouunt of fluting every so often.
http://www.armuredube.com/armuredube.com/Videos.html

This guy makes some wicked versions, and they look pretty darned screen-accurate...

Nazgul Ringwraith Blackrider Armor

I know the metal versions are cool as hell, but being a Star Wars Mandalorian costumer myself, I have a weak spot for lightweight costume pieces...especially when trooping an event all day, in full gear....it's hard to beat plastic! :D

Rob

I am currently working on a similar project in leather rather than steel or molded plastics, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to attach the pieces together without using rivets (I do not like the appearance of all those rivets) and I noticed that the nazgul gauntlets do not have them.. Thanks in advance!

I am currently working on a similar project in leather rather than steel or molded plastics, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to attach the pieces together without using rivets (I do not like the appearance of all those rivets) and I noticed that the nazgul gauntlets do not have them.. Thanks in advance!
Perhaps, Barge contact cement to some sort of backing or harness.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back