The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer

ob1al

Sr Member
I noticed when rewatching the trailer for 'The Hobbit' that Gandalf has a different staff. Not the same as the one he carries in Fellowship:

ScreenShot2012-01-28at153515.png

Later in the trailer, we see Gandalf using the staff to illuminate the way, similar to the Mines of Moria sequence in Fellowship. It looks like there is a crystal embedded in the staff:

ScreenShot2012-01-28at155327.png

Can't wait for the movie, it should open up a lot of new prop ideas and collectables from the franchise.

Last edited:
Re: The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff

I took a few screenshots from the trailer, enhanced them and put into a collage. Click on the thumbnail for the image in 1:1 scale. (Thank you Peter Jackson for a trailer in 1080p!)

In the larger images, we see almost the same side of the staff crown in only slightly different angles. The small image on the bottom, I think must be what we would see if it was rotated only slightly to the right.

Later in the trailer, we see Gandalf using the staff to illuminate the way, similar to the Mines of Moria sequence in Fellowship. It looks like there is a crystal embedded in the staff:
I think that it looks like some whiter latticework inside the crown, surrounded by the brown branches, and it is that that is glowing.

As crazy as it sounds, it almost looks like it is Gandalf the white staff underneath. It doesn't make any sense timeline wise, but would kind of be a cool concept.

That thought occurred to be also, but the white staff's crown is too big to fit in there.

I wonder how one would try to cast this staff.. One thing I do know: it would have to be broken up into many small pieces ...

UC is making this one. I am supervising the replica for them. I can't say what is inside the crown on this version, but you guys hit close to the mark. I have no idea how it will tie into the story line, if it is even explained, but I found it very interesting when I first saw it. The prop ( Built by 3 Foot 7 for the production) is incredible.

UC is making this one. I am supervising the replica for them. I can't say what is inside the crown on this version, but you guys hit close to the mark. I have no idea how it will tie into the story line, if it is even explained, but I found it very interesting when I first saw it. The prop ( Built by 3 Foot 7 for the production) is incredible.

Interesting... Any other stuff or top secret?!? :love :lol

Wizards go through staffs like Jedi go through lightsabers!

Great that you are supervising the replica Kit - looking forward to seeing the details! BTW you should put the good word in with UC to make a Fellowship Gandalf staff too - big gap in the market for that one.

We had planned on doing both FOTR staffs until we found out New Line licensed Noble for the same thing, so we just did the white staff. We did have tons of requests for the other staffs later on, and if we could have gotten a prop of either wood staff from Weta at the time we wanted to do one, we would have. They had stopped production completely on LOTR after ROTK came out so it just was not going to happen.

As it is now, the LOTR license is completely dead, so if the LOTR Gandalf staff is not in The Hobbit (not in the first film, but I don't know about the second), it won't get made.

Interesting... Any other stuff or top secret?!?
All top secret. I can't talk about anything unless the studio releases info, video, or photos. At that point it is no longer secret, like the staff in the trailer :)

We had planned on doing both FOTR staffs until we found out New Line licensed Noble for the same thing, so we just did the white staff. We did have tons of requests for the other staffs later on, and if we could have gotten a prop of either wood staff from Weta at the time we wanted to do one, we would have. They had stopped production completely on LOTR after ROTK came out so it just was not going to happen.

As it is now, the LOTR license is completely dead, so if the LOTR Gandalf staff is not in The Hobbit (not in the first film, but I don't know about the second), it won't get made.

Hmmm... So, I think nothing from the LOTR trilogy will be re-released, even from other companies?!? So no hope for a new Gandalf the frey staff or Galadriels Phial.

All top secret. I can't talk about anything unless the studio releases info, video, or photos. At that point it is no longer secret, like the staff in the trailer :)

Uhm... Yeah, but there was a lot of other stuff in die trailer... The dwarfs carry some weapons, there was Narsil and Sting, too... :lol

Sting looks the same.

I was worried they would change it if they contracted a dose of starwarsprequelitis.

The sting in the trailer didn't have the inscription yet, did it?

ScreenShot2012-01-30at184706.png

I think you're correct - the same sword without the inscription. So I'm guessing Bilbo names it 'Sting' and the elves inscribe it for him at Rivendell?

There is only one dark line on the sword, on the LOTR sword there are two thin lines with the engravings between...

If there won't be a complete new engraving by the elves for the blade, than it looks like its a different version of the sword... Possible?!?

I think Sting was discussed in another thread.

Hmmm... So, I think nothing from the LOTR trilogy will be re-released, even from other companies?!? So no hope for a new Gandalf the frey staff or Galadriels Phial.
I don't know about other companies, but if the LOTR licenses were not renewed, no. UC will likely rerelease weapons from LOTR that are also in The Hobbit, but much of the LOTR line is still available on the market.

Last edited:
Thanks Kit. yeah deffo the same sword with the engraving missing:

TheHobbitAnUnexpectedJourney.jpg

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Sting

Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im

Which is translated "Maegnas is my name, I am the spider's bane" (Maegnas is neo-Sindarin for "Sting")

Since the sword was given a name by Bilbo and the inscription mentions Bilbo's adventure, it can be supposed that the Elves engraved the letters on the ancient sword while Bilbo was in Rivendell.

Last edited:
So, after all, it is a different sword in the hobbit, just without the engraving...

Did you mean to write isn't?

It isn't a different sword. It's exactly the same one, before Bilbo named it 'Sting' and had it engraved.

Same as how Narsil is the same sword as Andruil, just without the engravings. :thumbsup

I cannot wait for some of these swords and props to come out!

It's too bad about not redoing the Gandalf the Grey staff(s) , there's definitely a market for it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back