The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer

I've seen somewhere online an official replica of the arkenstone. I haven't seen The Hobbit yet so I don't know if it's a replica of the movie one, or the "Official Replica" from the books.

Found it! The site makes no mention of this being a movie replica though.

I still find it odd that both companies are selling practically the same item for the same price.

As did the folks as UC. They had no idea that Noble would be doing replicas of the same products, let alone selling in the same price range. I don't know why Noble's is shorter, but I can say, having worked on the UC replica, it is an exact 1:1 scale mold of the filming prop. We even matched the colors so closely that side-by-side with the prop, it was identical.

Hope UC is making a new fellowship staff in close future, that would be awesome...
:)

I've seen somewhere online an official replica of the arkenstone. I haven't seen The Hobbit yet so I don't know if it's a replica of the movie one, or the "Official Replica" from the books.

Found it! The site makes no mention of this being a movie replica though.

It was only seen rather briefly. From what I recall, it looks pretty close. Sort of

I hope UC will make a full tang Glamdring. The MC version turned out fine, but why no full tang? bwaaahh!

Both Fellowship Staves please!

Well, here is my Gandalf staff. Kinda no movie version, just wanted something to go with my Gandalf cossie. As I was deciding to make this for the opening night premiere, my boss decided to give me a cool crystal, which should go great on the top!
pic 1-dollar store hangers, the crystal, a penlight with a bottom switch, a 6' dowel rod
pic 2-a deep hole bored out to fit the flashlight
pic 3-the penlight, alit
pic 4-coat hangers, cut, randomly bent and with paper attached
pic 5-with all the "roots" attached and papier mache'd over
pic 6-dried papier mache with the stone in place
I've papier mache'd the rest very lightly-just gotta paint it, and I'm ready for the opening!

As did the folks as UC. They had no idea that Noble would be doing replicas of the same products, let alone selling in the same price range. I don't know why Noble's is shorter, but I can say, having worked on the UC replica, it is an exact 1:1 scale mold of the filming prop. We even matched the colors so closely that side-by-side with the prop, it was identical.

Originally Posted by Onkelpsycho
Hope UC is making a new fellowship staff in close future, that would be awesome...

:)

I really hope that is a hint! I'd love a Gandalf FOTR staff as well as one of Radagast's

Ditto!!

Fingers crossed. I've been wanting Gandalf's Moria staff for awhile now!

Also, hope UC will redo the Shards of Narsil. Here's hoping!

now, i'm pretty new here, and i'm not entirely sure if this is the correct thread to ask this, but if i wanted to recreate any of these swords without using actual metal/steel, would anyone know of any good tricks or tips to getting that polished steel look? i was thinking i would make a fiberglass cast of the sword and maybe take it to a chroming shop, but i'm not sure if that would look correct.

my apologies if this is the wrong thread to discuss this.

Cold Cast Aluminum. Head over to Volpin's Skyrim Steel Ax build log and follow his instructions. Looks like real metal because it's resin coated in metal powder. Chrome doesn't look like metal at all, and that is the last thing you should do for a replica sword of any sort, especially Sting/Glamdring/Orcrist.

Cold Cast Aluminum. Head over to Volpin's Skyrim Steel Ax build log and follow his instructions. Looks like real metal because it's resin coated in metal powder. Chrome doesn't look like metal at all, and that is the last thing you should do for a replica sword of any sort, especially Sting/Glamdring/Orcrist.
I'll second that. We used an aluminum powder coating for a polyresin Darksider's sword prototype a few years ago and it looked very much like real steel.

Ditto!!

Fingers crossed. I've been wanting Gandalf's Moria staff for awhile now!

Also, hope UC will redo the Shards of Narsil. Here's hoping!

It is a possibility, depending on the sucess of The Hobbit. We would have to figure out a way to do it so the shards or the display are different than before. The whole point of a limited edition is that it is limited, so UC can't simply make the same product again. I would love to do a scaled down Elven shield and Elven cloth as the display, like in FOTR.

UC is doing a new 2nd Age Sauron helm and a new 2nd Age Gondor Shield from LOTR, both in polyresin. The Sauron helm will have a different base than the previous limited edition, and the shield will be much more movie prop accurate than the old Gondor shield UC made back in the LOTR days. The tree and stars will be raised rather than silk screened, correct proportions, coloring, et cetera.

It is a possibility, depending on the sucess of The Hobbit. We would have to figure out a way to do it so the shards or the display are different than before. The whole point of a limited edition is that it is limited, so UC can't simply make the same product again. I would love to do a scaled down Elven shield and Elven cloth as the display, like in FOTR.

UC is doing a new 2nd Age Sauron helm and a new 2nd Age Gondor Shield from LOTR, both in polyresin. The Sauron helm will have a different base than the previous limited edition, and the shield will be much more movie prop accurate than the old Gondor shield UC made back in the LOTR days. The tree and stars will be raised rather than silk screened, correct proportions, coloring, et cetera.

Presumably you've seen the Hobbit. :lol Just out of curiosity, how much of a role do the Shards actually play? Have we already seen their entire part in the films, from the teaser trailer?

What are you folks thinking on pricing on the Gondor shield? I've always wanted one, but never tracked one down.

No, I have not seen the Hobbit. In the 24 years I have been working on licensed film replicas, I don't think we have ever been offered to an advanced screening, with the exception of The Last Crusade screening at Skywalker Ranch.

What I meant was, if The Hobbit is successful, interest in LOTR will also increase. If the collector interest is there, UC will make some of these items. Anyone who has watched the trailers and Peter's V-blogs knows the Shards make an appearance in The Hobbit.

As far as pricing, I'm not sure it has been priced yet. It is still several months away from being on the market.

Presumably you've seen the Hobbit. :lol Just out of curiosity, how much of a role do the Shards actually play? Have we already seen their entire part in the films, from the teaser trailer?

What are you folks thinking on pricing on the Gondor shield? I've always wanted one, but never tracked one down.

I've seen it, but as much as I can recall, the bits seen in the trailer have been cut from the world premiere release, and I presume from the theatrical release as well. There are other scenes that have been removed too.

I don't remember the shards appearing, and that was one scene that I was really looking forward to. It might reappear on the extended cuts though

No, I have not seen the Hobbit. In the 24 years I have been working on licensed film replicas, I don't think we have ever been offered to an advanced screening, with the exception of The Last Crusade screening at Skywalker Ranch.

What I meant was, if The Hobbit is successful, interest in LOTR will also increase. If the collector interest is there, UC will make some of these items. Anyone who has watched the trailers and Peter's V-blogs knows the Shards make an appearance in The Hobbit.

As far as pricing, I'm not sure it has been priced yet. It is still several months away from being on the market.

Gotcha. I'm surprised you folks don't get to see advance screenings, but that's the way it goes, I guess. ;)

That makes sense, about collector interest increasing. That's why I picked up all the LotR swords I wanted in the past few months - spent more than I should've, probably - but I'm inclined to believe the prices are going to go up, so I nabbed a Shards and a Museum Glamdring for reasonable prices.

Thanks for the info, Kit. Always a pleasure to interact with you. ;)

I've seen it, but as much as I can recall, the bits seen in the trailer have been cut from the world premiere release, and I presume from the theatrical release as well. There are other scenes that have been removed too.

I don't remember the shards appearing, and that was one scene that I was really looking forward to. It might reappear on the extended cuts though

Yep. Confirmed, No Shards of Narsil scene in The Hobbit. I guess that will be in the 20-25 minutes added to the extended Blue Ray cut Pete just confirmed would be coming next year.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back