The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer

Will we ever see the pre-orthanc staff again in this film or the next? Does his staff organically grow from trees. I always thought the design of the white staff was elven in appearance looking at concept art from the trilogy. Does this suggest that Galadriel or Elrond may have given it to him? Though the wizards came to Middle-Earth with them...????:behave :confused :confused

not another staff the tree grows the wiser he gets

I noticed when rewatching the trailer for 'The Hobbit' that Gandalf has a different staff. Not the same as the one he carries in Fellowship:

ScreenShot2012-01-28at153515.png

Later in the trailer, we see Gandalf using the staff to illuminate the way, similar to the Mines of Moria sequence in Fellowship. It looks like there is a crystal embedded in the staff:

ScreenShot2012-01-28at155327.png

Can't wait for the movie, it should open up a lot of new prop ideas and collectables from the franchise.

The first FOTR staff was lost when Gandalf was captured by Saruman, then he got a new staff sometime after his rescue, presumably from Galadriel. That staff was lost in Gandalf's battle with the Balrog, then after he died he was given a new staff when he was sent back to Middle-earth as Gandalf the white.

AND then lost his new staff in the battle with the Witch King, then got a like for like replacement by the time of the trip to the undying lands..!

Will we ever see the pre-orthanc staff again in this film or the next? Does his staff organically grow from trees. I always thought the design of the white staff was elven in appearance looking at concept art from the trilogy. Does this suggest that Galadriel or Elrond may have given it to him? Though the wizards came to Middle-Earth with them...????:behave :confused :confused

Galadriel did give him the white staff.

I sure most of the companies doing replicas intend to have product on the market at the time the film is out. As I understand it, UC plans on having several products available in December, possibly earlier.

That would be great, looking forward to seeing Orcrist.

No it does not flex... the detail on this bow truly is amazing despite the bow being bent... it is HUGE and it also has a gold string wrapped into the bow's string...very cool detail. I will try and get some good pics of the bow and post them.

Here is the string on my Legolas bow prop. There are actually several gold strands mixed in. the others are silver/grey colored.
Legolas_Lothlorien_Bow_String_Weat_Prop.jpg
Aeglos_Weta_Prop_2.jpg

Kit - we are most fortunate to have you post here, thanks for the input.

If you can, I'd love to see some pics of the original sting sword you own.

:eek Was that spearhead in the photo from Aiglos? I have never seen one that detailed EVER.

Great, and just when I think I'll finish all my projects before I die, I add another few months on top of the 200 years' worth of builds... :rolleyes

That is indeed Aiglos- the genuine article too. Every piece on that stand is by Weta, with Aiglos and Hadhafang being actual film props while Weta made the Legolas bow and arrow for Kit and UC during the production of The Two Towers when they were making extra copies of those particular props. (info taken from another forum :D )

All in all, we're looking at the most spectacular LotR prop weapon picture to be shown in years, truly awesome!

Well, I don't know if it's the most spectacular photo or not, but those are all actual Weta props. I thought for sure some good pictures of the blade had been on the web before, but I just looked and could not find any (other than the few posted below), so my pix may be the clearest shots. If you look close in one of those pix below you will see that the spear shaft has been cut short for the location shooting. The original prop was much longer, with a curved and tapered end, but I guess that was too unwieldy for the actor.

I guess I need to dig up the blade rune translation I got from Weta now, as I'm sure I'll be asked for it since the blade writing can now be seen by all.

This makes me long for the scenes of Gil-Galad and Sauron fighting that were never shot for FOTR.

Oh, by the way, it's Aeglos, not Aiglos :)

gillyrondyfightweee.jpg

Gil-galad11.jpg

Gil-galad_1.jpg

gfotrprologue6.jpg

Figwitelf_10105_Gil-galad.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the string on my Legolas bow prop. There are actually several gold strands mixed in. the others are silver/grey colored.
Legolas_Lothlorien_Bow_String_Weat_Prop.jpg
Aeglos_Weta_Prop_2.jpg

OMG Aeglos!! The one prop that I really really want!! You are a very luck man! My dream is to eventually own a replica of that somehow, and have it on a display with the Shards of Narsil side by side (like in the books)

Oh, by the way, it's Aeglos, not Aiglos :)

Checking with LOTR and The Silmarillion, both spellings are used (possibly misspelled in the '93 and the '01 Editions?).
Indeed, both spellings have been used. :)

Last edited:
I like Orcrist, I just don't agree with the direction they went on it. My understanding was that Glamdring and Orcrist were sister blades and thus should be of similar design. This Orcrist looks more like Sting, which was just some random dagger.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back