The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer

well, as one of the owners of the lothlorien bows by HCG, I can say it took WAY longer to get than they said, they kept giving us new dates, new excuses, new dates again....finally got the bow. I love it, the colors are off, but doesnt bother me much...and dont know if anyone else had the same problem, but my bow came warpped....yep a brand new RESIN bow, and it is bent... i was sooo scared to send it back because it took so long to get...so now i have a bent bow...

That's too bad. I know one of the guys who runs HCG. I worked with him many years ago when UC did the First Blood and Rambo knife prop replicas. He was kind of a sourcing agent for us, getting contact names for new licenses we were interested in.

Does your bow flex? The screen props were Urethane with a steel or wood core. My prop actually has about a 20lb draw on it, so it can actually shoot an arrow. The draw string is braided from a dozen or so strands, including a gold colored string woven through the middle. Very fine. Some kind of animal sinew ties off the end loops. The detail Weta put into it is nutty.

That was the 2nd bow, the first had a different Wall Plaque... where you can display the arrows with... Sadly I found no photo of it...

After they were sold out, a new run appears with that wall plaque...

The draw string is braided from a dozen or so strands, including a gold colored string woven through the middle. Very fine. Some kind of animal sinew ties off the end loops. The detail Weta put into it is nutty.

"To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadhrim used, longer and stouter than the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string of elf-hair. With it went a quiver of arrows." (Farewell to Lóren, FOTR)

I suspect the gold string is the elf hair. That's a nice attention to detail.

That's too bad. I know one of the guys who runs HCG. I worked with him many years ago when UC did the First Blood and Rambo knife prop replicas. He was kind of a sourcing agent for us, getting contact names for new licenses we were interested in.

Does your bow flex? The screen props were Urethane with a steel or wood core. My prop actually has about a 20lb draw on it, so it can actually shoot an arrow. The draw string is braided from a dozen or so strands, including a gold colored string woven through the middle. Very fine. Some kind of animal sinew ties off the end loops. The detail Weta put into it is nutty.

No it does not flex... the detail on this bow truly is amazing despite the bow being bent... it is HUGE and it also has a gold string wrapped into the bow's string...very cool detail. I will try and get some good pics of the bow and post them.

Wow, so great to see Kit Rae posting here! I can't wait to see what comes out for the Hobbit movies, even though it's still over a year away - Orcrist will be the highlight for me.

Not quite a year. 14th December 2012 - just 316 days to go.:unsure

TheHobbit.jpg

My skin just tingled... I guess I'm excited about this. Having just watched the Lord of the Rings with my 10 year old for the first time (my 13 year old has seen it 3x now) the younger decided he wants a Legolas costume, and a bow.

I started to make one before that was cheap and now I will likely go all out for this one. I sure hope Legolas shows up in the Hobbit... Looking forward to the Thranduil costume for sure, maybe my oldest can do that one.

*mommy heaven*

Apologies, to be clear, I meant that my assumption is that the replicas are at least a year away, it would be great if some stuff is released at the same time as the movie, but I'm not sure that often happens with prop replicas?

I'm with those who feel that Orcrist doesn't need to look like Glamdring - after all my sister doesn't look much like me :)

It depends on the company. If Noble Collection still has the license, we could see things coming out right away.

TheHobbit.jpg

I NEED TO BUY THIS movie poster. My wife has all the original three from the LOTR framed. An email into WB and they say "not sure if this will be available."

*ugh*

I'll keep my eye out (fleaBay) but if anyone comes across one and remembers please zap me a PM.

Going back to the original post about the staff:

I read somewhere, or perhaps saw it on PJ's video blogs, that it's supposed to be the same staff and it has changed over the years.

I'm with those who feel that Orcrist doesn't need to look like Glamdring - after all my sister doesn't look much like me
I think that assumption came from the one time Tolkien referred to Orcrist as the 'mate' of Glamdring, which to some people took to mean they were made or designed as a pair, I don't think Tolkien meant that at all.

Last edited:
Yeah, that person seems to think it is all the same staff seen throughout the films, and that the shape changes. The first FOTR staff was lost when Gandalf was captured by Saruman, then he got a new staff sometime after his rescue, presumably from Galadriel. That staff was lost in Gandalf's battle with the Balrog, then after he died he was given a new staff when he was sent back to Middle-earth as Gandalf the white.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back