The Hobbit - Gandalf the Grey staff AND other props from the trailer

Well, if the one from FOTR happens to be in the second Hobbit film, it may get made. We are still wading through all of the film 1 props to see what to make. All I can say is that the props are the same excellent quality we have come to expect from Weta. Lots of thought went into the designs.

Last edited:
Orcrist is obviously #1. I love the scabbard prop.

It's too bad about not redoing the Gandalf the Grey staff(s) , there's definitely a market for it.

Oh, I know. I REALLY wanted a replica of each - the pre Orthanc staff(with the pipe) and post Orthanc staff (with the crystal). Most people want the latter and don't even realize the first one was different. It is never explained where he got the second staff.

Last edited:
Did you mean to write isn't?

It isn't a different sword. It's exactly the same one, before Bilbo named it 'Sting' and had it engraved.

Same as how Narsil is the same sword as Andruil, just without the engravings. :thumbsup

I think it is...
Its a different version... It is NOT the same sword, because there is no engraving...
The last post was about the gandalf the grey staff, thats like you call it the same...

If you tell me now, the sword in in the story of the movie the same, yes, then it is... But I wouldn't go so far to call it the same prop.

Same for Narsil and anduril. Thats a different Story. Narsil is not Anduril. If Narsil would be Anduril it would be called Anduril.
And as far as I know, Anduril is a little bit longer than Narsil.

But enough of that nerd talk... :lol

I hope, in the name of my wallet, they won't do so much stuff like for the LOTR trilogy... Thank god, only 2 movies are comming... :)

I think we are talking at cross purposes. In the story it's the same sword and accordingly, the prop designers appear to have used the same design as the 'Sting' prop from 'LOTR' to recreate it, just without the engraving.

I'm glad to see that level of continuity with LOTR, rather than see a different or "improved" Sting design.

I think we are talking at cross purposes. In the story it's the same sword and accordingly, the prop designers appear to have used the same design as the 'Sting' prop from 'LOTR' to recreate it, just without the engraving.

I'm glad to see that level of continuity with LOTR, rather than see a different or "improved" Sting design.

Maybe... But isn't the engraving an important part of the design, independent from the fact that the engravings are story-based...

I just said that it looks like another design this time, because the "line" on the blade is different to any of the lines on the LOTR sting...

I dont know how the ellves engrave swords (magic?!? :lol) but they have to engrave OVER the line whats already there or have to remove that line, because to me it looks like it goes straight TROUGH the other lines, later on sting in LOTR...

It looks like the line is pretty much in the right place to me. I think some of the angles in the screen grabs are throwing it off a bit:

StingProto.png

sting-sword.jpg

StingProto.png

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm. Yeah... Could be... On some pics it looks really like there is no space left for the new engravings.

But then I'm curious about one last detail.

If this engraving was there from the beginning and the elves added a new engraving next to the old, then there should be a line from the first engraving exactly in the middle; between the old and the new engraving.

Is going to be what producers decide or fx prop department build, if it match the timeline, ok, and if not, is not going to be the first time..
people can try to imagine a timeline, what happen, or how this is possible, it doesn't matter, not always we have a perfect timeline in movies, and objects on it, change...

why a new Staff? why a different sword, why dwarfs?, not everything has a timeline explanation , even in that way, I LOVE THE MOVIE

The etches on the two actually fit nearly precisely over one another. I know because that is the first thing I checked when I saw the prop. I still have an original Sting prop.

Don't go by the UC replica etch, because it is actually reverse of what it is supposed to look like. The etch on UC's Museum Collection version is much more accurate.

Last edited:
Oh, I know. I REALLY wanted a replica of each - the pre Orthanc staff(with the pipe) and post Orthanc staff (with the crystal). Most people want the latter and don't even realize the first one was different. It is never explained where he got the second staff, but I think when you see The Hobbit you may get a clue.

Very interesting little tidbit...
Ditto, I would like both versions and to have the pipe for the first staff as well would have been neat!

Speaking of staffs, I cannot wait to see if Saruman has a different staff (anything you can share Kit? ;) ) as well and, of course, Radagast's!
Look forward to seeing these made!

The other thing I look forward to seeing made is Bard's bow and, of course, the legendary arrow... That would be a great set to own!
Still far ways I know but just thinking about new props to acquire is exciting :D

The etches on the two actually fit nearly precisely over one another. I know because that is the first thing I checked when I saw the prop. I still have an original Sting prop. The production is absolutely implying the LOTR blade engraving was added to the original Gondolin engraving on The Hobbit version. I have no doubt they planned it this way when they originally created the sword for the trilogy. I seem to recall there is even a Daniel Falconer sketch of it this way...have to check my archives.

Don't go by the UC replica etch, because it is actually reverse of what it is supposed to look like. The etch on UC's Museum Collection version is much more accurate.

Thanks for the info Kit.:thumbsup

The last Bows were made by different companies... There was no Bow from UC, Noble, whatever?!?

I have the first Legolas Bow from FOTR made by a company in Italy... But hate to display Bows, they take too much space... :)

Lets wait fo the movie first.

In LOTR we have the main characters Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas & Gimli and we see which character and sword take a leading role in the story. So, Im sure some people will know what stuff they want, when the movie is released... We know that Bilbo is important, so Sting is important, but I guess we have to wait which dwarf of the 13 will have a special role in both movies... Otherwise, if they seem to have all the same part in the movie, it's just a question of which sword looks better than others...

I'm looking forward to Sylvester McCoy's cameo as Radagast. It'll be interesting to see the staff design and costume design as well. Assuming it'll be, um, brown.

Speaking of staffs, I cannot wait to see if Saruman has a different staff (anything you can share Kit? ;) ) as well and, of course, Radagast's!
Look forward to seeing these made!
:D

I think Saruman's was seen at the end of one of Jackson Hobbit video blogs last year.

The last Bows were made by different companies... There was no Bow from UC, Noble, whatever?!?
UC added bows to the license, along with a few other categories, around 2001 as I recall. We got the Legolas Lothlorien bow prop from Weta and were all set to go on the replica, submitted out concept for approval - then New Line suddenly said we did not have the license. We pulled the contract amendment and found they removed it from the listing just before it was signed. They did not tell anyone, and no one noticed. They even let us get the prop from Weta too! None of it made any sense, then we heard they had granted another license later to a German (?) company. I saw some product pix of a bow and shield from them, but I don't know if those ever got to market. Anyway, that's why UC never made any bows. It was a shame because people really WANTED those elven bows.

UC does have bows in the license for The Hobbit, but I think they will wait until film 1 is released to see how much use they will get.

Oh yeah, the Elven bow, Legolas gets from Galadriel, was made by a german company, I remember...

I saw a short documentary in tv hows these bow get made... Then they were sold out, but later a new Lothlorien bow opos up, but I dont know if still the german company was responsible for the bow...

As already mentioned, the classic Legolas bow (as seen in my avatar) was made by an italian company named NLC(???).

There was also a quiver for $600, no idea who made it...

Here is the Italian bow.
attachment.php

And this is the Lothlorien bow that HGC was selling a few years ago.
hcg-lord-of-the-rings-lothlorien-bow-of-legolas-replica-0d99f.jpg

Lord of the Rings Lothlorien Legolas Bow

I heard horror stories about that one. People ordered and it took over a year to get them, or they never got them. Looking at the photos, the color is a bit off, but the sculpting and shape is very accurate to the prop. I still have an original prop and one of the arrows.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back