3d printed "Vera" mini from Firefly (or Showtime shotgun if you prefer...)

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I keep being amazed at what 3d printing can help you accomplish and I thought y'all might like this. I've used it successfully now for several projects. My Firefly Jaynestown gun, Galaxy Quest uniform pendant, Serenity grenade, Hellboy Mechaglove (ongoing project with ASavage) and am currently using it to replicate Kroenen's "heart key" and for quite a few details on my V2 Johann Kraus helmet, also from Hellboy.

But just for fun I dug up the old 3d files I used when I built my replica of the "Callahan Fullbore Autolock" as it was called in Firefly (see the link in my sig) and cleaned them up a bit, then sent them off and had this little baby printed up:

templates-firefly-lassiter-print.jpg-81551d1326894027

She's about 7" long but the über-cool thing is that it can be printed at basically any size. I'm still pretty amazed at the level of detail you can get- and this is one of the cheapest materials. Best of all is that the prints are ready for paint with very little prep work. :)

And the original file (after adding a few mods):
attachment.php

I'm thinking of maybe having it printed in full-color as well...

That's incredible! Do you mind sharing the details of the company used?

It was printed at Shapeways. VERY good service. The only downside (besides the pretty steep cost) is that they are not allowed to print anything that looks like full-size gun due to the Netherlands super-strict laws. Extreme scifi stuff that isn't identifiable as a gun can be done, but that's a very narrow window.

Great results! I expected all their stuff to have the same pitted surface as the metal prints, I didn't know the plastic items came out so smooth. Thanks for sharing!

Great results! I expected all their stuff to have the same pitted surface as the metal prints, I didn't know the plastic items came out so smooth. Thanks for sharing!

There is a super-fine texture to this surface (think 400-800 grit wet sanding paper, so subtle it's hard to photograph) but it fills in nicely with spray-filler without loosing too much detail. If I had printed with one of the better detail materials as I did with the Jaynestown pistol the result would be perfectly smooth.

I found your post by searching for Vera replicas on Google. Is the 3D design you sent to be printed of your own creation? I have access to a 3D printer, but I don't have the skills to create a design such as you did. Do you have another post discussing your creative process? Obviously I don't want to steal your work, just to understand how difficult it is so I can figure out if I'd ever be able to do it on my own. Thanks for any advice you can provide!

This is amazing! Would you be willing to share the STL file? I have access to a 3D printer and would LOVE to have a tiny Vera for my desk. Of course I would site you as the creator.

This is amazing! Would you be willing to share the STL file? I have access to a 3D printer and would LOVE to have a tiny Vera for my desk. Of course I would site you as the creator.

Thanks for the praise. : )

Unfortunately, I do not share or sell 3d files as a matter of principle (with the exception if I'm actually collaborating with someone on a model). The models I do take days, weeks and sometimes (in the case of Vera) months spread out over several years of hard work to perfect and I want to have full control over how they are used.

Friendly advice: I saw you ask Coryalex for his files as well but did not seem to accept his desire not to give his files out. You are obviously new to the RPF, so you naturally don't know the lay of the land yet, but you may find that people will take exception to your first three posts being asking for something and not accepting the answer you get. I'm not saying this to be mean or unwelcoming, but folks on this site put a lot of effort into their projects and it doesn't always sit well when the first things new members do is ask for stuff without even introducing themselves.

If you really think about it, even if someone would consider giving out their files to you, why would they trust an anonymous person just because they state their intentions in a thread?

If you really want a small Vera similar to the one above, send me a PM and I might be able to print one up for you. There is also a run for a full-size resin Vera kit in the junkyard.

That said, I'm sure that you'll find your feet soon if you stick around and start participating in some threads.

Your last comment was well spoken sir. As a newbie to forums myself (old fashioned I guess) I realized I myself did not introduce myself before asking you a previous question. I apologize this is actually my first time on these things other then googling questions that led me to forum threads, which is where I first heard alot about your name and some of your work. My name is Mark I am a humble browncoat who is trying to add to my tiny yet prized ( for a poor fella lol) firefly/serenity collection. First off let me say that your work is incredible. For a guy like myself who has no talent in making or creating props, I am in emvy and awe. It is in fact this envy that leads me to the question I meant to ask originally. I got totally sidetracked the first time when I saw this thread and , once again, fell in love with your work. I dont like to collect the everyday items so to speak I prefer the rarer items as the show and film and near and dear to my heart. With that being said I was wondering if you still make any of the other replicas from the show/film. I first saw your metal jubile early pistol and my jaw dropped. It is prob the best replica I have seen and I do alot of searching for this stuff. As im sure almost all other browncoats, my dream is to one day own a model 47a from the legendary badger ive read so much about but I suppose if I am worthy perhaps one day a dream will come true lol. I was also wondering about how long does something like that, your jubile pistol, take to create? I hope I didnt take too much of your time with this long message and my talent envy of your skills as an artist. I hope when this project is done I will be fortunate enough to own a piece of your work.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back