Iron man mk6 trying it on !

monkeeman

hi guys,
Been a long time since I posted on here I can tell you.
In fact it must be a year or so since I wrote anything here.
Back then it was regarding my iron man and war machine helmets, which turned out rather nice and still sit on display in my cabinet.
last February (according to my camera ) i decided to chip away at making a full suit. Got to be honest its taken ages and lots of work ,and i considered giving up once or twice.Anyway I have finished or should i say had enough, it seems you can sand and sculpt and tweak forever and what looks great at midnight one evening as you call it a day, looks wonky and wrong the next morning ..lol
lesson number 1 if your tired sleep and dont try to make perfect fullsize replicas!.
Anyway next stage is to mould the pieces in silicone etc and cast out my suit, it will be a mixture of fiberglass, roto cast resin and poly rubber parts. my plan was to make a suit that looks like a display piece , kinda like a 6 foot hot toys figure..lol
what you see in the pics is made from car filler fiberglass , polymer clay (more than i expected) ,wood and rubber.
oh the red paint is just to give the peices a smooth finish for molding, I realise the color is wrong for a finished suit :)
Anyway heres some pics ,

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Iron Man mk6 build completed

Help !
hi guys my fantastic plan has failex and i need some help.
basically i started moulding some peices of my suit in silicone.
my plan was to put a layer of silicone rtv over the peice and then bulk.out the rest of the mold with silicon caulking .but the outer layer of caulking seems to be shrinking or pulling the layer of nice silicone away from part resulting in a loose out of shape mold. any ideas ? or should i expect do the whole thing in the expensive silicone ?
any help.appreciated

Re: Iron Man Mk vi Suit

Can't help ofnthe molding but can say your suit looks great. If you do a run please count me in

Re: Iron Man Mk vi Suit

Thanks for the comment. i managed to solve the silicone problem and started moulding the peices.going good so far !

Re: Iron man mkvi

well just thought id post an update.
All molds are now made, a little bit of tidy up required here and there but not much at all.
So here are the first 3 pieces cast in polyurethane, sorry about the pic quality but im really pleased with them so far.
Next step now is to cast the rest and get the thing together, I still have not seen my suit standing up assembled so really looking forward to seeing it come together.
still not had any luck with the paint color,cherry red spray seems to be impossible to find here in the UK.
Anyway Ill post more updates in case anyone is interested,

Re: Iron man mk 6 new arms !

hi just a quick update,
been casting a few pieces in resin to make the wearable suit. got the arms, shoulders, fingers ,hip pods and hand plates done so far.
really pleased with the results ..heres a pic.

going to tackle the chest and back next so I can start to mount it up on a stand and see it assembled.

Re: Iron man mk6 New Arm cast finished

Hi just another quickie update,
finished the fingers and hands today , all bar a little sanding and tidying up.
So heres a few pics of one of my arms , hard to put both on at the same time at present as my fingers keep falling off and would be a nightmare to try to take pics. So heres one arm anyway, its minus the hand plate which is made but needs mounting on properly.

and im really liking it the plain white plastic color it is ..lol

Hi guys,
wow have i had some problems.
got the entire suit cast out in resin,i opted for polyurethane as cant stand the smell of fibreglass and the mess.
So then i started painting, and that's where i hit the problems,id used some Vaseline in the silicone and this must have transferred to the casts resulting in my lovely paint flaking off here and there :-(
Anyway flying along doing a bit here and there lucky the movie version has some scratches and wear and tear as this may hide some of my dodgy paint areas ...lol

hopefully will have pics up for the weekend !

hi yeah I used primer , the main parts that flaked were in the nooks and crannies so i think some residue of vaseline must be the cause,Ill wash the parts next time!

anyway here are some painted arms and legs legs look short as currently missing a few flaps at the ankles)

happy with the colors but the lacquer is a bit too shiny ,so looking to weather it up a bit .
thanks for the words of encouragement !

hi yeah I used primer , the main parts that flaked were in the nooks and crannies so i think some residue of vaseline must be the cause,Ill wash the parts next time!

anyway here are some painted arms and legs legs look short as currently missing a few flaps at the ankles)

happy with the colors but the lacquer is a bit too shiny ,so looking to weather it up a bit .
thanks for the words of encouragement !

take some steel wool and texture it with going in one direction.

Now that sounds like a solution !
Had to use lacquer to bring out the colors and add some protection.
But now its started to look like a giant Hot Toy Iron man all glossy. the movie version seems to be a more satin finish.I think the wire wool will do it.
Cheers !

Now that sounds like a solution !
Had to use lacquer to bring out the colors and add some protection.
But now its started to look like a giant Hot Toy Iron man all glossy. the movie version seems to be a more satin finish.I think the wire wool will do it.
Cheers !
actually do it on the gold and silver part.

Iron man mk vi painting the suit

Hi guys just another progress update.

after a nightmare of having to sand back some flaking paint I am now progressing nicely.
heres a pic of my erm...project room as I like to call it !

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back