DEUS EX - Augmented Arms

zookone

I've started on a new costume project for 2012. Adam Jensen from Deus Ex and his Augmented Arms.

Thought I'd share a bit of the development progress and process.

Game Reference:

Starting with the game model I'm in the process of preping all the content. I'm planning to sew most the elements above the elbow. Looking into using carbon fiber look vinyl, with batting or foam stiched into it.

The forearm is going to 3D printed after the model cleaned up and sculpted.

I'm planning on having the little pucks light up red. I can't tell if they glow in the game or not but I though this would be cool.

Splitting the arm into multiple pieces...

The arm is really sculpted in the game by the Normal Map. With out resculpting the game model looks flat and boring...

So First step. Rebuild the topology of the model from triangles to quads. there is no easy button for this, needs to be done manually to rationalize good edge flow and eliminate as many triangle polys as possible.

From there I'm taking the Quad elements, sculpting them with Mudbox.

Bring the sculpted parts back into 3ds max and use the shell modifier to shell them to create the .stl parts.

Cool. Love that game (aprt from the boss battles). The black and gold aesthetic of the game looked really classy.

Aren't the red pucks the holes where Jensen's Typhoon ammo comes out?

Cool. Love that game (aprt from the boss battles). The black and gold aesthetic of the game looked really classy.

Aren't the red pucks the holes where Jensen's Typhoon ammo comes out?

A agree completely, I was a huge fan of the first Deus Ex, and I wasn't dissapointed with this one. Apart from, as you said, the boss battles. And I really felt the black and gold tones throughout the game gave it a Blade Runner-esk feel to it. Loved it.

I'm not sure about where Jensen's Typhoon ammo is deployed, I've only played through once, and I never spent points on unlocking it.

As for the augmented arm, I'm excited to see how this project turns out. I'm just curious to know if you'll be able to manage to make it look like you have an augmented arm, or if it's just going to turn out looking like you're wearing armor.

Keep us updated!

I guess the race is on then!

I also made the glasses. Seen here:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/deus-ex-adam-jensen-glasses-134545/

Good luck!

Nice Dude! Quading is a bit of a zen activity. Tune out and enter the zone...

You certainly look the part. a bit more than me. :( damn your chiseled good looks. lol.

I've got pretty skinny arms though, so I think I pull the augs off well without them looking like armour.

Post more progress shots, I'd love to see how you're progressing and share build tips

-Z

Nice Dude! Quading is a bit of a zen activity. Tune out and enter the zone...

You certainly look the part. a bit more than me. :( damn your chiseled good looks. lol.

I've got pretty skinny arms though, so I think I pull the augs off well without them looking like armour.

Post more progress shots, I'd love to see how you're progressing and share build tips

-Z

Lol. Thanks?

I'm not worried about it looking like armor. I think it will come out fine if you follow the model.

...I say, "the race is on," but actually you'll probably get way ahead of me. I'm very busy these days and this project will probably go up to Halloween.

Let me know when you find the carbon-fiber patterned vinyl. I've searched a bit and all i come up with is vinyls for your car, which may totally work, but they tend to be more expensive. I want just plain old vinyl that has a pattern on it.

I would also be interested in your ideas for how to fix the deltoids and other upper arm muscles to your own shoulders. I'm currently testing that with craft foam.

Last edited:
Yeah all I've found is Automotive Vinyl, $15 a yard is not bad though probably only gonna need a yard max for both arms. I order samples and I think it will work out ok. I'm planning to sew the arms as sleeves onto a full skin tight shirt.

Attached are a few more shots of the sculpts...

Gonna move onto some other parts and stew on these for while.

Yeah all I've found is Automotive Vinyl, $15 a yard is not bad though probably only gonna need a yard max for both arms. I order samples and I think it will work out ok. I'm planning to sew the arms as sleeves onto a full skin tight shirt.

Gonna move onto some other parts and stew on these for while.

Me too. Upper arms will be sewn into a tight shirt. I've picked up a cheap Under Armor shirt. My only concern is that they're so thin. I would prefer a thicker skin-tight shirt so stuff doesn't sag.

I've also come across a vinyl with carbon fiber pattern which is also a bit stretchy. Having tried a quick test with craft foam (see below), it's clear that there might be some issues with the deltoids when you raise your arms and having them arch or bunch up.

As you can probably see, it's a little too big. I put another upper arm together last night that fits great. This was just a size and foot-print test.

Nice modeling by the way. Looks good. As you can see in the pic, I went all the way to low-poly so I could print out templates. I just did a slight relax on the UVs.

At this point I'm waiting on some leather-grade needles for the sewing machine. The stuffed vinyl test I did last week was only hot glued.

Any plans for the blades? I've been playing with the idea, but man it'll be tough. I've got the mechanism for extending and retracting a "hidden blade" figured out, but figuring out how to have the forearm open and close is proving to be very difficult.

I think the EVA foam would be to stiff in the shoulder. I'm planning on using upholstery foam and batting to plump it up a bit.

These are links to the Carbon Vinyl I found. I like option #1 better. It only stretches in one direction so you need to plan your pattern layout accordingly.

Upholstery Vinyl Classic Black Carbon Fiber | DIY Upholstery Supply

Carbon Fiber Soft "Black"

I've been working on drafting upper arm sewing patterns. I'm going to pick up some scratch fabric this week to build a prototype.

Here's another test I did. The fabric is this glossy stuff. Looks very close to the CG trailer Jensen arms. I have a sample of carbon fiber on the way.

I used upholstery foam, gray binding for the seams, and spray adhesive. It worked well.

EDIT: I also used a piece of 1/8" craft foam to which I glued the upholstery foam. This created a flange to which I could attach the gray seams.

Last edited:
This has been very good reference for me:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2966/augmentedfootballarm.jpg

Even though I have the 3d model, there are some pertinent distinctions between the in-game model, the cutscene model (what I have), and the hi-res, CG model used for these trailers:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Cinematic Trailer - YouTube

The image above, taken from the "Purity First" / "Sarif Industries" commercials, shows a very realistic augmented arm. A friend of mine suspects that at least the upper arm is an actual prop (not CG). That said, it was important to make certain decisions when it came to directly copying the mesh vs. sort of free-handing some areas. I've found that the mesh I have, while accurate, needs some tweaking and re-shaping to give the proper look on my arm. -My 2 cents

The arm muscles are looking good, you've got a nice profile on the strands. Thanks for those other reference sources. I forgot about those two videos. they will be of help for sure.

I know what you mean about differences between a highres model and the in game outfit. I've been working on the combat vest. I found this reference which is pretty sweet image. It has some differences from the game, which I like better. I like the chrome button head bolts and green gloss armour. I'm planning on going more this direction. I've got the vest pattern about done, the back-to/neck/collar area is really tough though. I think I'm on like cardboard mock-up #4. Gotta pick up a couple more boards of chipboard actually...

Some progress photos of the prototyping patterns for the upper arm and flak/tactical vest.

I found some cheap vinyl that seemed to have pretty close properties to the carbon look stuff I'm going to order this week. That is what I used to build the mock-up of the pattern, I had to take it in quite bit from what I started with. I did to much actually. I'm working on refining the upper arm patterns. I need to puff the fabric a bit more for the bicep and tricep. The plan is to individally lace the deltoid sections to base shirt with elastic cording, this will allow them to move and stretch naturally beneath the vest and not bunch up.

I'm not happy with the batt fill I got, it packs to stiff so I'm going to have to buy something more expensive, than the cheap suff.

I didn't add the welting to the prototype. I'm going to have to make my own welting/piping, all I can find online is to too burly to follow the tight curves. I need to buy a welting presserfoot for my machine and some cording.

Yes, once I get the patterning finished up and costume completed I'll be releasing my patterns.

Waiting on some supplies I order to move forward on a parts.

I started work on the leg side bag pattern.

RSloan76, I'm going to need to order more cordura fabric for parts than I need. Are you interest in sharing some of the stuff needed for the build?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back