DEUS EX - Augmented Arms

We could create a Pep for this piece and and fiberglass it. I was thinking of making this piece out of 1/4" foamy at first.

I've considered the fiberglass pep idea. I've never worked with it before, and I know it's extremely noxious. Not really set up to work with it, but it does remain an option.

I also considered 1/4" foamy. I don't have any at the moment, but I may get some and try it.

Or try bending the styrene and then cutting it to shape. I would still drill the holes though.

I did bend it before cutting to shape. In the end, the styrene is too thin. I had a bunch already, so I tried it. Not sure about drilling holes: Keep in mind that this piece and all those corners, will be visible in the end. It's the gold plate on the side of the upper arm.

I'm going to try this plastic trash can tonight (or finish ME3), then I'll try the 1/4" foam idea. if the foam works, that would be awesome since it's a cinch to cut and shape, and it'll be soft around my arm.

Yup, 1/4" foam will work. Thanks for the final motivation in deciding to try it. The garbage can can go back to Home Depot now.

(The white one is the styrene one I shaped by boiling).

Getting close to finished with the vest. boy this thing was quite a challenge. My patterns got me pretty close till the neck. Getting the one piece around the neck was really tough. I ended up picking up a used mannequin to form on. Otherwise not sure I could have gotten this far.

Vest update. Reworked the back and sides a bit. There is a few things I would do different if I remade the whole thing... but overall it looks pretty close to source reference. Once I switched to foam the carboard templates need modded. It took a ton of time to get to this point. I've run out of steam reworking and reworking and reworking parts. Things would go a lot faster if they were right the first time :facepalm

I think it will look better once painted and my chrome bolts go in. Right now wet sanding the modge podge to get a smooth finish for painting.

That looks awesome! Good job!

Wanna trade templates? I'll give you the arms, and you give me the vest? :love

Almost done with the right upper arm:

That looks awesome! Totally lets share. I think your upper arms are looking way better than mine. I will clean up my templates for you and add some notes for recommended revisions.

-Z

That looks awesome! Good job!

Wanna trade templates? I'll give you the arms, and you give me the vest? :love

Almost done with the right upper arm:

Put a coat of primer on the vest but forgot my can of green with a friend at work this week so didn't get to start painting yet. The reveals on the vest parts are not going to be strong enough. I'm a bit bummed with this. In hindsight I should have used an 1/8" thick foam spacer.

In other news, ordered most of the 3D prints for the left arm tonight. Should ship out May 31st. I've gotta get cracking to finish by Comic-Con.

Some progress photos of the tactical vest primed...

Started painting the color tonight. You can see some of the reveals are not as strong as I'd wished.

The black strap portion is alternating sections of 1/8" foam and 1/4" foam, heat sealled, coated in modpodge, and sprayed with plastidip. I think they came out pretty good.

Shapeways stuff finally shipped, they're a bit backlogged at the moment. I'll have a bunch on the left arm parts in hand on Monday!

Left forearm prints arrived yesterday. I had them made using a 1mm shell, this kept the price down but pieces are a bit fragile at the moment. I'm gonna need to fiberglass the inside for reinforcement.

Hard to get a picture of them on my arm, but the fit is pretty good. I need to trim the sides and clean up the fit a bit though with bond and lots of primer.

It takes a lot of spot filling primer, and wet sanding to smooth out these 3D prints.

I'm thinking there is no way I'll finish the full Adam Jensen costume by Comic-Con. Maybe I'll have one augemented arm done though if nothing else.

Got some work on the tactical vest completed, I still gotta do the section that connects to the belt. I'll need to complete the side sections and front buckle stuff first. I'm gonna work on the upper arm section first though, the shoulders will lift the vest a bit of the shoulders. I'll need this set because the belt hard attaches to the vest in the back.

The vest I thinks is a bit big, the upper arms will fill out the shoulders a bit. Its not going to be a slimline as the game though. I think 3/8" foam for the vest would be best if you could find it. Mines built from 1/2"

You can see the forearm on, held with rubber bands.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back