Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy)

OzDean

My GF and I are watching this series with some interest as there are a lot of cool props being produced for the show.
Kevinericon has produced some great looking props so far:
http://www.therpf.com/f13/once-upon-time-snow-whites-ring-fairy-dust-134761/
http://www.therpf.com/f13/once-upon-time-sheriffs-badge-grannys-key-sample-arrived-134953/
And rather than hijack his thread I thought I'd start a new one.
In the latest episode "Desperate Souls" we find out about Mr Gold's mysterious past. There is a cool looking dagger which transforms a cowardly farmer into the mischievous Rumplestiltskin (I know that it is written as Rumpelstiltskin in other texts but this is the spelling that ABC have decided to go with). I've acquired some high res screen caps and I'm after a bit of help with the following:
  • Accurate measurements
  • Font choice
  • Some insight into the pommel and sculpted detail on the handle
As always - any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

OUAT1.jpg

OUAT2.jpg

OUAT3.jpg

OUAT4.jpg

OUAT5.jpg

OUAT6.jpg

OUAT7.jpg

OUAT8.jpg

OUAT9.jpg

OUAT10.jpg

OUAT11.jpg

OUAT12.jpg

OUAT13.jpg

OUAT14.jpg

OUAT15.jpg

P.S. Should have some pics up in the next few days of my other project.

Last edited:
Okay. so I've taken some measurements using the photos above and worked out that the blade is 5cm wide and about 35.5cm long. Unsure on the thickness - maybe 4mm?

Does that look about right?

Next step is to start working on the graphics. Then cut a blank and begin sharpening...
Any idea on the font used?

Maybe you can search it on what the font website. It looks like a readily made font, but you can still vector it if you can't find a 100% match.

Why did i click on this thread?

The show have just started here in Sweden (2 episodes so far), and this might have spoild it for me but hey it was my own fault and really looking forward to this.

You can try dafont.com
In there you can write for ex zoso and then browse the font to find one that matches.

Looking forward to this project....good luck

Did find this one on Dafont (fontname Black Knight)

font1o.png

and this one (this one have the S and K more correct but not the R). This one is called MK Broken Types

font2n.png

There are a few more under Gothic > Medieval

Did play around some the R is with Black Knight and the rest is MK Broken

mixz.jpg

Last edited:
Was working out the graphics on the back of the dagger today. It appears that there are two different daggers. I thought it was perhaps a change of graphics when the dagger showed his name but the different graphics both appear in the last scene with his son. Mmm what to do? Might come up with a combination of both...

any new info on this? It really looks like a found dagger to me. Can anyone help ID?

Also, it looks to me that "Rumple" is in Black knight and "stiltskin" is in MK broken. If you combine those two (not just the R) I think you have an exact match.

I just knew someone would do this dagger when I was watching the show. This show has a lot of props I would love to see people make.
I definitely will be watching this thread.

I was just browsing around on dafont, and found 'Duerers Minuskeln'. It's not an exact match, but has very similar flourishes on the letters. Maybe it could be a starting point if you feel the need to draw your own?

I can't wait to see more progress on this regardless of the font :D

Okay, it's holiday time so back to some projects.
I've finally found a local supplier who will cut stainless bar to order.
Before I do that I just want to double check.
The measurements I worked out had the width of the blade at 5cm wide.
However, I have LARGE hands.
So I've taken a couple of pics. One with a 5cm wide blade and another with a 4cm wide blade. Could I get some ideas of width? I'm still thinking 5cm is still the way to go.
4cm
76c724cd.jpg

5cm
0a7201a4.jpg

Some great pics of the dagger tonight. It seems that the black lettering and scroll work is now etched onto the blade. Maybe it's the evil seeping into the blade....

Anyhow... Back to progress. Got all my measurements and I purchased the stainless to make the master blade. I've given it a quick spray with Matt black paint then scribed my template on to the dagger. It's in the vice now having its rough shape cut out and then it's down to the grind. Pics to follow!

Hey gang,
Here are the latest images from the last episode. As you can see the knife has changed (the design is etched into the blade and the text has been flipped so the his name now starts at the hilt end) so let's call this one version 2. My knife will be a hybrid of both but mainly version 2.
I also pick up some more grinding disks tonight so I'll show some progress pics this weekend.

knife0.jpg
[/IMG]
knife1.jpg
[/IMG]
knife2.jpg
[/IMG]
knife3.jpg
[/IMG]
knife4.jpg
[/IMG]
knife5.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back