Once Upon A Time - Rumplestiltskin's Dagger (pic heavy)

Okay....
Finally I have an update! Been flat out writing reports for school and today was the first time in ages that I could get into the garage and work.
I had originally purchased some stainless to do this but I switched over to Aluminium (1 - it was free, 2 - I'm gong to cast it anyway and 3 - it's a lot easier to file and sand).
I glued the templates on to both sides and used these as a guide for filing.
So I filed, sanded, filed, sanded, filed, sanded and sanded some more. Bit of polish just so you can see what it will look like. It needs more work but I'm hungry and in desperate need of a beer transfusion!

4dc5f35c.jpg

d7cd0b2b.jpg

c57efb4b.jpg

Last edited:
hi there, i'm new here, but i saw your thread and i'm in love with this project. here's a little help from me, if you'll have it. it's my closest replica to the original font on the bloodied blade.

tumblr_m5erw3f35c1qd0r2bo1_1280.png

if you study the weights of the fonts carefully, no two letters are alike. That means that it's most likely not a font type that's downloadable, but more likely handwritten. also looking at the pictures, it seems that there's more than one version of the prop they used in the show. one where the name starts from the tip of the blade and reads into the hilt and another where it starts from the hilt and reads outwards.

if you're interested i can help you with a vector for the rest of the pattern on the blade, just need to know which version you're making!

hope i've helped instead of hindered... keep up the awesome work! :D

I was just about to start on this so I would really appreciate your help. I'm going to go with a water slide decal rather than engraving (the engraving can always be done later) based on version 2. What I'll do tomorrow is photocopy both sides of the blade and email them to you. I'll also include the vector I made for the blade pattern. Just need your email address.

In other news - I got some more sculpey and some of the sculpey mold making stuff so that I only have to make one of the sculpted details that appear on the blade.

cool, when do you need the stuff by? also which side do you intend to be the front (with rumple's name) and the back (with the flowery pattern)?

Okay... Here is the dilemma...

Version 1 has the name written on this side...
a6ffc2fb.jpg

Whereas version 2 (let's call it the engraved version) has it written on this side...
c7bf53e3.jpg

Considering that we would like the text written as it appears as version 2 (name running down the blade) I think we should go with the name on the second picture side.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Planning on sculpting a bit this weekend. Perhaps if we set a timeline for the graphics by say the end of the month?

This entire project looks absolutely amazing!

Also I agree on second picture side. I'll be watching this thread and look forward to seeing more progress!

Okay... Here is the dilemma...

Version 1 has the name written on this side...
a6ffc2fb.jpg

Whereas version 2 (let's call it the engraved version) has it written on this side...
c7bf53e3.jpg

Considering that we would like the text written as it appears as version 2 (name running down the blade) I think we should go with the name on the second picture side.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Planning on sculpting a bit this weekend. Perhaps if we set a timeline for the graphics by say the end of the month?

so, with that said.. it means the name will run down from the hilt to the tip of the blade yes? i'd have to mod the design a bit so that i can get the engraved pattern side to fit pic 1's shape. if that's okay with you? I suppose, I'll do the best I can, and I can also make modifications based on comments you can give me :p I'll try to get some stuff out my monday if this is all a go. :D

Screenshot2012-06-17atPM113215.png

here's a quickie i did of the front. I think I might have gotten the blade measurements wrong. do you have the exact measurements?

also, apologies for the horrid photo. i don't currently own a scanner and this was taken through my webcam. ha. i'll have a digital render up soon. once i get the proper measurements for the blade. :D
let me know what you think!

The blade width is 50mm. The total length from the shoulder to the tip is 353mm.
The graphics need to start 8mm down from the shoulder as this is where the bottom of the guard is.
Hope this all makes sense.
daggerdimensions.jpg

0817ea36.jpg

601e68fa.jpg

Last edited:
Great start - I think it's getting there.
I think the graphics at the hilt are a bit off and the graphics in front of the name and before the lines are bit too heavy on the black.
The diagonal lines - I counted no more than twenty.
I photoshopped a pic if that's any help.

knife_template.jpg

that's great thanks.. i think i counted the tip design wrong... that's why it's all so squashed... do you have any reference for the back design? or.. clearer references? i can't seem to find any good ones online.

Only what I've managed to put up so far - I can take another look - maybe a mash-up of the different designs?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back