My Red Y (aka lazybones build) - some tips for the slack modeler

Nwerke

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's probably a bit premature to start this thread as for now I only intend to assemble and prime the model. It's too hot here at the moment to go all the way into painting, that will have to wait for later in the year.

That said, I've been finding a few talking points - in case anyone is about to kick off their build, this might be of some use, hopefully. Please note my build is pretty spartan - no lights, no extra mount points, no panavise or ILM/industry-style stand, just a steel rod for the underside mount, and a mahogany base. Much of this won't apply if you intend to create wing mount points:

1. I drilled the main armature rod all the way through using a 7/16 bit in a drill press. It was just a sharp bit that happened to be ready to hand; you could go a little smaller or larger, but it is an ideal size in several respects.

2. You could probably do just about as well with a hand drill if you have a good eye and a vise, or can clamp it down well. Centrepunch the location for drilling first off or your drill bit will wander.

3. K&H make nice 7/16 brass tubing and stainless steel rods and hopefully your LHS will carry these. I went for stainless, it will need cutting - I hate cutting stainless but it should last forever.

4. *Don't* drill the wing bar (if you are only making a lower mount). That will allow the bar to be a stop for the mount rod - it will rest on top of the mount rod and hold the model up. You can just clean off any burring at the cut ends, no need to do more. (Note Jason's excellent instructions give the bar length as 12.5" while mine was slightly smaller. If you are marking the centreline to drill for the upper mount, take note of the exact length of YOUR bar, as it seems they vary - though it shouldn't ultimately vary enough to actually matter. But, you know. We're modelmakers. A bit OCD sometimes. So I thought I'd mention it.) :lol

5. That said, DO follow Jason's advise religiously on trimming the fuselage and engine location points for the wing bar. The resin pieces have shrunk slightly, the aluminium ones haven't. You will need to slice and sand out a slight channel in the front or rear (or both) of the fuselage location for the bar in order for it to sit nice and flat. DO sand the horizontal mating surface of the hull, too, as it can be flatter. The same goes for the wing bar location points inside the engines. In all this be sure you don't end up with a loose fit. It's not a structural requirement, it's just that tight fits are always much nicer. Cough.

6. Since you aren't using wing mounts, you can slide your engines straight onto the wing bar AFTER assembly. I recommend building the engines first as it will make cleaning up the seams MUCH easier.

7. You can also attach all four of the cone shroud support vanes directly to the cone shroud before you assemble it to the engine body. This seems easier than the other method as you can just slide the assembly straight into the back of the Saturn can. Obviously do this BEFORE you start attaching the Plastruct! :lol

8. The support vane thingies are too thick. At least they are to my eyes and a couple of others agree. Not by much but by a little. I am as lazy as a modelmaker can get while still occasionally actually making a model, so I didn't make new ones in styrene. Instead I adzed the trailing edges of the vanes with a single-edged razor blade, then sanded them lightly. Yes, I am THAT lazy. :D

This took around thirty seconds per vane, only a few passes with a sharp blade does the trick. It's way quicker than cutting 2mm or 3mm styrene replacements would have been.

9. When assembled, the conical inserts in the rear of the Saturn cans prevent the seams aligning well along one side, as noted in the instructions. You can shim as described, or you could also try sanding down the conical insert piece around its circumference slightly. I did not do this, but wished I had tried it.

10. Another area of poor fit is pointed out in the instructions at the front of one of the Saturn cans. There are little doglegs of flash or pour stubs; this one can be resolved by removing them. Your Saturn can diameter will be slightly smaller so check for fit against the L'Eggs. (But then again, if it fit perfectly it wouldn't be ILM!) :lol

11. The wing skins can be made to fit without cutting if you're careful - I THINK - mine did, anyway. Possibly another case of individual variation. I had only the slightest misalignment along the rear tubes, maybe a quarter of a millimetre - well within the putty and sanding range.

12. The cockpit rear bulkhead is beautiful but cast in a harder resin. Some details need to be removed, and a circular hole drilled out, as described in the instructions. The ideal tool for this would have to be an end mill bit in a Dremel; don't try to shave the details with Xactos, the resin is too hard. I would LOVE TO KNOW why my LHS and hardware stores haven't carried Dremel end mill bits for years.

Ow, my sliced finger.

All for now. There will be pics but has to wait for tomorrow or Monday.

Last edited:
Re: My Red Y build - some tips

That's nice coming from a joker who drank my beer and pored over my build this very afternoon! :p

Ta for all this. The LHS actually has K&H tubes so my mount woes are beginning to look a bit less intractable now, lol...

J'master's right, though - let's see some pics...

Good to hear! Yeh, pics tomorrow if relly bash stuff doesn't keep me away. Just got too late today.

Oh get this. Last night I was trimming up the cockpit bulkhead, then left it to go water the new bamboos I've planted. It's summer here so I've been working on the deck. My 4.5yo son was 'helping daddy', and he carried on without me (knives out of reach of course). When I got back both engine subassemblies, the cockpit, the cockpit bathtub, the canopy AND THE COCKPIT BULKHEAD, were all assembled up...correctly.

ME SO PROUD!!! :lol

Maybee he could make a start on the other dozen studio scale kits you have? Maybe that way he could actually start a build thread unlike his dad.:behave
And I was actually talkin about cuttin ya finger and ya beer was cheap.:rolleyes

Actually while I'm at it. For those living in a warmer climate, you may just wanna check for air bubbles. I only found a few and they will be pretty much covered up but it'll only take five minutes to fix.

aee2bffc.jpg

God you are a nasty bit of work, Graver. :lol :p

Yeah good point. Looks like you've got just a few more bubbles than me - hardly any bubbles on mine at all. I'd settle for popping them. Can't do any harm if there's no trapped air, and they're covered over.

Clarification on number 4. You say not to drill the cross bar but you don't really say why. Then, in the same section, you talk about measuring it for drilling. I realize you mention Jason's build and drilling, but I'm just a little fuzzy here.

Covered under the overriding clause regarding only going for a lower mounting rod, but you're right, have edited that item for clarity. If you are going for an upper mount then you do need to drill the bar.

Good stuff!

Upper mount really comes in handy for painting the bottom of the bird, but that's just me ;)

You're totally right.

I plan to half-arse it. :)

Hey, are you doing the small black squares, btw? I was wondering whether they might be done as masking over the black base coat.

They could be, yeah. I just did 'em - laid down Tamiya mask tape, cut them out by eyeballing with an X-Acto, and a quick PSSSHT PSSSHT with the airbrush, the end!

Cool, looking forward to pics. Always wondered what the thinking was, with those. They're such a weird, funky little detail. And they're on (almost) EVERYTHING!

Just rereading this after taking some pics...want to stress, I am not trying to take anything away from Jason's instructions. They're *excellent*!

This actually came out of a conversation with a friend over nitty gritty details. It just occurred to me that perhaps some expansion on those aspects might be helpful to anyone who doesn't have a strong background in resin studio scale stuff. Anyway, pics!

Adzing the shroud supports:

my-red-y-build-some-tips-00a.jpg-81260d1326602235

Modded shroud supports on the left, unmodified on the right:

my-red-y-build-some-tips-01a.jpg-81261d1326602235

If you build these as units they can just slot straight in. Sorry for crap pic:

my-red-y-build-some-tips-02a.jpg-81262d1326602235

Gap on left wing requires some pressure inside engine (via outer hatch) when gluing to wing bar. It will disappear, but slow superglue is a must:

my-red-y-build-some-tips-03a.jpg-81263d1326602235

This is the misalignment on the rear of the starboard wing - I didn't think it was worth cutting:

my-red-y-build-some-tips-04a.jpg-81264d1326602235

Ditto port wing. Note I have carried out the surgery Jason recommends on the Saturn corrugations to get a good fit here - but also, a couple of details on the engine where it meets the underside of the wing need to be shaved a tiny bit, and all three tubes on the upper wing sleeve also need a fraction of a millimetre shaved off their ends:

my-red-y-build-some-tips-05a.jpg-81265d1326602235

Here's where I'm at so far, with the K&H 7/16" bar I chose for my mount. It is product no. 7145:

my-red-y-build-some-tips-06a.jpg-81266d1326602235

Last edited:

Thanks Jason. Just the bare bones as yet though; I will be keeping this in subassemblies for a long while yet unfortunately. Just too much on the plate and the weather is too hot for spraying anyway. Paint dries before it leaves the airbrush!

I *should* really be leaving it in the box and doing other things, but it is irresistible. :)

It also goes together really well. I gotta stress that...the engineering is great. Nitpicking tiny details can always run the risk of giving a negative impression but trust me, I am ecstatic with this kit. :)

... It just occurred to me that perhaps some expansion on those aspects might be helpful to anyone who doesn't have a strong background in resin studio scale stuff.

that'd be me.. Thanks for the documentation, 'tis greatly appreciated. I haven't received my kit yet but, the more documented builds that's out there the better!
(y)thumbsup

Lovely, and very helpful, ta.

But hey, this weak-SS-background-novice wants full credit for showing the master the mod required on the 4 engine shroud bracket thingies, lol! And I'm gonna prove you wrong on that cockpit bulkhead detail shaving - I WILL get it done with an xacto and a file - since I have no bleedin' choice!

Nice to see your son chipping in. I always wondered about how he takes his Dad's hobby, whether he considers that SW is for kids so by rights the kits should really be HIS. Or whether he just thinks the whole thing is sad beyond belief. Anyway, that's very generous of you, letting him glue stuff together. Good job I don't have kids - I would have ended up making a pathetic, petulant spectacle of myself: 'What are you doing making Daddy's model? This is DADDY'S model! Get away from Daddy's model!'

neosporing, you're welcome, if this helps I'm really pleased to hear it.

CD, you'll have to share the credit with jedimaster I'm afraid; he'd spotted it too. Good eye you guys, it is only something less than a mill's difference, I think, yeah? Anyway, hate throwing away parts so a bit of shaving does the trick.

I shaved the bulkhead using an Xacto and a single-edged razor blade. My end mill bit gave up the ghost forever ago and I haven't been able to track one down since. Damned overpriced things locally; never got around to ordering some from overseas either. Must do: an end mill bit in a Dremel is a THING OF BEAUTY.

As for Morgs, he's still pretty much at the "I like your spaceship, Daddy!" stage. No gluing, just dry fitting - he'd destroy himself if I ever let him get near cyanoacrylate. He just sits and commentates mostly - "it's from Star Wars! Isn't it, Daddy? Isn't it? It's very big! It's big and huge, huge like the sky! I like your big spaceship Daddy!!!! Look, I have a dinosaur!"

So, not all that much critical thinking going on just yet, I'm guessing. :lol

Pic 1: Kid knows a Messerschmitt cannon mount when he sees one.
Pic 2: Curse your inevitable betrayal!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back