Sherlock Coat opinions/info?

Skippy2k

Hello, generally lurk on the sight but finally registered and was wanting to get some opinions if possible. While I still want to get one of Steve Rick's awesome 10th Doctor coats in the short run I wanted to get one of the replica Sherlock coats i've found. I've just finished the 3 episodes via netflix, very good show and really liked the look of his coat. It's similar in design to the 11th Doc's coat which i've considered too but I kinda like the textured look to it and the back belt style of it.

Anyway looking i've come across two versions, one listed as a wool and one as a linen. At first I was leaning toward the linen version since it looked more to have the texured look like the show but then found better pics of the wool version and am now not sure... Not an expert on fabric or which would be more accurate/better in person so if anyone could offer up suggestions/opinions?

Thanks!

For reference, the coat from the show:
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/16800000/-Sherlock-sherlock-16827594-1882-2560.jpg

The Linen version for sale:
Sherlock Holmes Cape Coat Cosplay Costume Linen Version | eBay

nEO_IMG_DSC_0986.jpg

nEO_IMG_DSC_0987.jpg

The Wool version for sale:
nEO_IMG_DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

I was actually going to suggest the same eBay seller as kalkamel did, they're nice quality and look very good. A friend of mine purchased one not too long ago, and after doing some aging to the coat, it looked perfect for the part.

I've been sewing for over 40 years and I've gotten pretty good at identifying fabrics from pictures. The original coat is wool tweed.

Linen is a lovely fabric, but it has a huge flaw - it wrinkles like crazy. The first time you sit down, you are going to have wrinkles in your lap, across your rear, and behind your knees. The photo on the Ebay auction looks like it came right off the ironing board. Yes the wrinkles will iron out, but just normal wear can make you look like you've slept in the garment by the end of the day.

Lynn

Aha, thanks! That looks to be a really good option! Only thing I notice is that somehow the pocket buttons are off somehow. Possibly nitpicky and I can't exactly put my finger on it they don't look overly spaced out. On the actual coat the top of the lower pocket is right at about the third button on this one its at the second and where those top vertical pockets come to down to the second button on the screen coat they come down to just the first on this version.

It's almost as though both pockets need to be moved down but the length of the arms looks right in relation too...is it possibly just because it's made for a person shorter than the original?

Thanks for the feedback and link!

I'm a real stickler for accuracy, so even though the costume items from Singapore and China are low priced, they are always innacurate. It's better to save up and get something better if you REALLY love the caot.

I suppose if one were looking for a close enough for daily wear rather than a super screen accurate display quality piece, the Ebay one would be sufficient. For the price, it looks quite good.

Yeah I was just trying to get opinions on the options I had found and the link in that thread seems to be dead, fortunately kalkamel linked a newer auction on it.

Looking at reference pics I tried to point out possible adjustments in order to find out if any or all could be made. Please let me know if these look about right. One thing that's hard to make out is that the back belt almost looks like it's separated on the right side and perhaps buttoned? Kinda hard to make out so could just be a crease or something.

Suggested adjustments:

sherlockmod.jpg

Screen references:

sherlockref.jpg

Since the General was shot down in the line of duty, I am posting for 'him'. LONG LIVE THE RESISTANCE!
Sorry for going OT. I can't get into the OT forum yet...

One more question... I contacted abby workshop and they said they could make adjustments as i requested but there is one more that while it may be too far from there pattern I wanted to figure out.

Watching the show and as you can slightly see in the pic above the back belt isn't a solid piece, you can see it buttoned to the right side. Do you think the underpart is solid and the over one just buttons to it (actually looks like both buttons might come thru)? Trying to get a good idea of how it works, any thoughts would be appreciated!

Here is a rough image of how it seems to work from what I can tell, this may be a more troublesome mod and may go too far off the pattern but I went ahead and inquired about it anyway.

backbelt.jpg

I seriously doubt the belt buttons down to the coat, it's just a wide belt so it doesn't move around much. The pleats are definitely pressed, as you can see the creases at the bottom, but I'm unsure whether or not they're stitched together above the belt or if they're just pressed in place. Either way, very unlikely the buttons are on the coat itself.

While I can't tell whether the buttons are on the coat itself or on another strip underneath it does look to me that the belt is detached. The way the buttons sit in on it and that the visible outer part does look to be a flap with the edge to the right side. It's possible what I think is the flap underneath is a solid piece but it almost looks like both would pull in the sides and button.

Are you thinking Risu that the belt is not seperated? This is just the screen I grabbed but looking at the show it seems to be to me. If not could you explain how you think it works, not a super important detail I guess but trying to figure it as close as possible.

Maybe the buttons aren't on the coat but the flap underneath? Went and grabbed a couple more pics and looseness of it looks like maybe the belt is buttoned together but maybe not to the coat?

backbeltclose.jpg

Last edited:
The buttons are on one side of the belt and the holes on the other. It's a standard design in half-belted coats, nothing original or confusing about it. The belts are sewn in to the back side seams and the two belt pieces are buttoned together.

Yeah that's what it was looking like to me now but while this may not be new i've never had such a coat so don't have first hand experience with it. Was just having trouble finding good pics online and had to go back to looking at the show. Thanks for the info!

PS: Any suggestions on the buttons, style names or anything? The look to be split into four quadrants with either a gold/bronze rim or maybe just some lighter color to them.

Last edited:
I don't think they're split, I think they're just black 4-hole buttons with a rim, possibly in a gold color. It's also possible the whole button is sort of an aged brass, but not very likely.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back