Sherlock Coat opinions/info?

That's way too much money for a wool blend. Plus it's too shiny and the pattern is too clean with just the vertical dashes.

You're right about the shine and cleanness, but for teeth per inch and the ratio of white to black it is the best I've seen. But, again, I'd never spend that much money on fabric. (Unless maybe it was the actual Belstaff...)

Closer to six. And it's diagonal. If you want some diagonal patterned fabric that looks way more tweedy, I'd be happy to sell you the stuff I bought before the Alfatex for less than I paid.

Hi all, I'm new here!

Was wondering if anyone could point me to the eBay-seller who makes the best version of the coat, if there is a difference at all. Some of the coats in this thread look great, but all eBay-links look like they point to expired listings.

Also wondering how you do your measurements? I dont usually wear suit-jackets or the like, so this will probably be used just with a shirt underneath.

Thanks for any reply!

Hello all, I do apologise for posting when the thread is a little less a chive, but I have come to a lack of decision with two coats, one of which I aim to order in the next three days after I've finished a tattoo.

This is the first coat, and I have both heard and seen good information about this coat in the form of photographs and reviews (some of them even from here.)
Sherlock Holmes Cape Coat Cosplay

This is the second
Sherlock Holmes Cape Coat Cosplay Wool Version

Now, while I understand that the second link jacket does not have accurate buttons, this is an easy fix, and I truly do like this coat. However my indecision (as I'm sure you will observe) comes from the lack of feedback. This user only has 10 feedback entries over a two year membership span, and while they are all positive, none of them are about the coat, which makes me wary. The other coat has plenty of feedback, but in my eyes is not as aesthetically pleasing, however I also understand that the photo's on both the auctions have very high differences, such as natural light vs. studio light.

My question is, what do you think I should go with in this circumstance? Thank you for reading, and for any advice you may have to offer.

I would go with the second option. The first option has a closer match for fabric, but the second has a much closer cut The only thing that could improve it would be the placement of the hand warmer pockets. Perhaps you could send them a fabric and they'd make it out of that?

I've finally got some pictures of my coat. I've actually had this completed for a while, but haven't bothered to take pictures until I was waiting in line at Pei Wei today. From striking the pattern to sewing it took about a year and a half. It I do it again I'll change the lapels slightly, and make the collar about 1" taller, but overall I'm pretty pleased with it. unnamed2.jpgunnamed.jpg

Been away awhile but was looking for a coat again having still not gotten one. Didn't really see any in store that really struck me but with the work that looks to have gone into improving the Sherlock coat I'm going to have to get one. I was curious though the pattern AND material shown by Apossle/GeneralFROSTY is now the standard? And if you don't specify the length are they still making them too long and will they shorten it to the correct length if asked?

Also are there any other things that should be specified/requested to get one like these? They look really good!

Thanks!

Skippy2k, I think that the Janecosplay coat is the same kind as the afore mentioned ebay coat based on the fact that other coats on Amazon use the same pictures as the ebay seller and direct to buy from Janecosplay. If so, it should be a fine coat.

- - - Updated - - -

I was hoping to get some opinions on three fabrics I have found to use in a Sherlock coat. They are the following:

http://www.bblackandsons.com/black-white-textured-fabric-p-1511.html

http://www.denverfabrics.com/Prod/grey-houndstooth-wool-coating

http://www.belraffabrics.com/fabrics/fashion/wool/1540-black-and-beige-wool-suiting.html

I think the third one might be the closest. What do you all think?

Thanks mhawke, I thought the pattern looked a little more solid (for lack of better description) than the other version which most of the other e-bay/amazon ones appeared to be. I see now I was looking at the old version pictured on the sold out page. I found a more recent auction for the jacket that has the updated pictures like those shown in this thread.

I agree of the three you linked there the third appears to be the closest, doesn't look too bad!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back