2nd Age Elven Armour Lord Of the Rings! Build

Oh my, this is going to look great, Popeanator! It's awesome to see another Aussie on here, too; keep up the good work!

Jathoris, those are some seriously impressive photos. Well done!!!

Faux suede is your friend :) Should be an easy find online for the dimensions or if you happen to have the middle earth Arms and Weapons book. UC may also have it listed as the reproduced the swords.

There are a few people around here who have made this costume, not sure if they're still posting much in the costume section... I'll see if I can get their attention for you. :)

sleep in till 2pm today got work in 2 hours so it will have to wait till tonight.(lol had a big night) But thanks for all the interest guys glad to see people are as keen as I am. I'm also going to see with hobbit with my friend who is planing on dressing as a dwarf. My have to convince he to get an account. I'll have a look around for the sword diementions. I was thinking of using a steel rules as a base and using craft foam for the blade and eva for the handle. :)
Oh and I'll look into Faux suede.

Last edited:
Awesome! I just happened to have use eva foam before to make costumes. So I all ready have some :) That is how Im going to make my sword I think!
:lol

New Update! Chest Plate Glued.

Waiting for it to dry. this is the view from the back.
Awesome I watched Evil Fx's vids got me some ideas on the sword.
As for the sword I found the dimentions.
Total length is: 149.86cm (49')
Blade length is: 60.96cm. (24') an Eva foam Mat is 100cm × 100cm.
I'll Split the blade and handle up and attach them later.
And do two halfs Might use a steel ruler as a base.

There is no way I'm going to be able to get the blade as thin and for it to stay in it shape.

Once the glue drys I plan on heat guning the chest plate. (I'll do a test piece first). More up soon! wish me luck.

I must say, this is a thread I'll be watching :) Why not use sheet aluminum for the blade of the sword? It's fantastically cheap over say, good carving wood or steel, and way shinier than foam...

Chest Plate Update

I Shaped the chest plate today turned out niceish. I had to pull apart the pices that go over the shoulder neck part. and glue them closer together.

Below. Thease are the pieces I've got ready to add to the sides so the chest plate reaches around to my back. :unsure I hope it works. Im not sure if the pieces should be curved or straight. Hmm.

As for haveing a metal blade on my sword well. The police are very strict on fake weapons. you even have to have a weapon licence to have a lord of the rings replica sword. :cry
Now that Is strict! We don't even have Airsoft :angry
Well Im thinking of using a steel ruler as a base for the sword.
I might use craft foam for the blade and eva foam for the handle.
The sword is soo giant. God! It's 150cm long....:unsure

Well im going to have to look in to that! I may enf up making two sets so me and a friend can go together. We will have to se how this turns out first..
:)

Looks great! Keep it coming :) Ps.. No don't use any kind foam based material for the sword. lol.... I did this, baaaaaad move. The insulation foam is really wonderful stuff but for anything with length and especially for it being such a thin item, it's way too easy to damage or snap in half... which was basically what happened to me. I had cased it all in casting material and coated it with resin so it was honestly pretty sturdy, but having someone flop on the hotel bed not seeing it.. yep... I don't think I''ll ever forget hearing that dreaded sound of it breaking. :lol

Well well see Im working on it. Thinking of making it from eva foam. That stuff is hard to break. Plus adding a metal rod or something in the middle. as for the blade..no idea :behave

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back