2nd Age Elven Armour Lord Of the Rings! Build

Popeanator

Just got the materials to make a trial of the armour.

This is the foam sheets I managed to get I wanted a more of a box colour but the only had the right size I needed In white.

The foam I slightly Bigger then my templates making them for 40 cm long to 45cm (2.5cm on each end)
The glue I'm going to need Is below. White School Glue And Fabric Glue.

Tuesday, 27 December 2011

Starting My Second Age Elven Armour Build LOTR

This Is what Im trying to build

So far im making templates for the chest it is 12 pices.

Im going to make it from craft foam this site has a tutorial

Craft Foam Armor Tutorial

Going to post my templates some time soon mabye tonight!

The Plan is to make this in time for the hobbit!

Update!

Last edited:
Chest Templates are done!

Print this as A4 you should not have too much trouble.

Kinda you will have to add a piece to extent all the way around to the back!
The numbers on this pic should help with the template. you have to join
the first two shapes together. Because you don't see the second half of the bottom 6 pieces there is no point wasting materials. (that is the 3rd shape).​

Last edited:
I wish the showed more of the second age in the movie. If your woundering they show this armour when they are talking about the ring at the start of the fellowship of the ring. Man and elves last stand. where the defeated sauron.:rolleyes I hope to start on the trial armour soon I may have to get a diffrent colour If I can't find flexible enough paint. :confused

It's gonna be hard to find someone here that hasn't memorized the Battle of Dagorlad, and the entire movie :p

you are so right! Any wat if any one has any ideas in paint I could use. Or has teemplates already for the helmet or greves. Please help!:eek

Looks to be a mix of gold/bronze paint with a black wash. but I guess you could get fancy and use rub and buff. Here is a leather gorget painted gold/bronze
11000917%20Gorget%20gold%20bronze%20leather.JPG

Thanks, I was plaining on weathering it. Because it is made from foam the paint has to be flexible. I was thinking of adding some fabric glue to the paint and seeing what happens. I can't seem to find rub and buff any where. I had a hard time finding the foam sheets. I'm planning on buying a bulk shipment of mabye 20 or so off the net. More like the colour she uses in the link.

http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html

Im need some help the the helmet templates I anyone could lend a hand.

Last edited:
I was just watching the Weta Workshop documentaries on the extended DVD's. One of the things they pointed out was how the 2nd Age armor was greenish gold, suggesting the elves were in the springtime of their civilization, while the armor they wore at Helm's Deep was much more reddish gold, hinting that they were declining into autumn.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Awesome! I love the fact that people are still interested and creating LOTR costumes. :) I've made one of these particular costumes and I really wish they would have made the foam in larger sizes when I had constructed my armor, but they only had the larger rectangular sheets. If you check out places like JoAnns or Michaels.. etc.. Just any typical well-known craft store, they actually sell the foam in huge rolls for a very decent price. This will help with the chest and hip pieces and actually are large enough to cut out the pieces as one continuous piece, without having to put two pieces together to fit all the way around you. I too was orginally going to do mine in foam, some pieces are, but I ended up having to make most of it out Sintra and garage sale signs, because again.. The foam rectangles weren't big enough. Obvioulsy, only a suggestion, so far it looks like you are out to a great start and can't wait to see this finished. Keep it up :thumbsup

Making the first trial chest piece

I split the templates into two parts making the top section today.
Each needing 6 pices.

Using this template (I added some extra flaps on the end so it would be the length of a sheet.)
I traced it on to the foam. I managed to get 5 out of one 12' times 18' sheet.

This is what is looks like right now. Glued together with white school glue. (It has still not dryed in 24 hours)

OK so An update one second half of the chest will be comming soon!

This was all the off cuts so managed to use the sheet of foam up well. :rolleyes

Thanks to all the great help. but I live in Australia so in is hard to find the same stuff you guys have. Plus I ahd to go to five diffrent shops to find that foam sheets. Thats how hard it was.:wacko

Do you have any pointers on the helmet I have no Idea where to start. :confused

Last edited:
Jathoris You should put up some pics or send a link to you armour. I've wondered on how to make the skirt thing. I have a few Ideas but i'll have to see how they turn out. If you have some templates that would make my day!

LOTR 2nd Age Elf pictures by Jathoris - Photobucket
I'm missing a ton of my in-progress pics but if I can, I'll be happy to answer anything I possibly can for you. When I originally built mine, there was hardly any information or resources out there and did very much along the same lines as you're currently doing by and stop-framing the films and the "making of'" portions of the extended DVDs. As far as the hips go, it's kind of a modified pattern of the chest lames, only simpler. The top portions are going to be more of a long rectangle piece with the just the corners rounded off, and the bottom-most pieces (underneath), are going to be more of a half-moon shape. I'll have to double check but I believe the lames to overlap much like chest piece criss-crosses in the front of the design and I think there are 7 lames total. I'll link you to two sites that seem to have the best resource tips/ideas out there for this armor and they're a big help. LOTR Costume Research Home and this one Haldir's Elven Archers

**sorry I misread that, you said skirt. :lol Not sure which part, you can't really see it in the pics I have but there's 3 layers there. A dark blue velvet looking material that's a basic skirt, but is split up to the waist line I think in 3 pieces. Then there's the lighter blue skirt which is over sized to look like a single drape but is cut in the same shape as the hip armor so you can move in it. In the posted pics, the outside light played havoc on the material so the light blue looks almost bleached, it's actually much darker, as is the 'gold' looking cape( which is actually a blue/green gold two tone material). The cape and waist sash is all one piece and I kid you not it's several yards of fabric and all one piece. the cape/sash part is the only part I know for sure that is accurate as far fabric construction goes.. the other parts just kinda had to wing it. The cape free hangs, goes over the shoulders and under the arms, wraps around the waist twice, ties in a knot and the rest hangs. HEA's site has a wonderful tutorial for that and don't worry, it's NOT as bad as it sounds.

Last edited:
That is soo awesome! Was the helmet just paper mache and bondo?
Can you sit down in the armour? I was just woundering because I'm planing on seeing the hobbit in it. I was thinking of editing it slightly to sit down. Also what did you use for chainmail?
I've scene the sites before basicly the only info I can find on the entire internet!

I was talking about the armour when I said skirt thing I want to get the armour done and do the fabirc second :D

Last edited:
That is soo awesome! Was the helmet just paper mache and bondo?
Can you sit down in the armour? I was just woundering because I'm planing on seeing the hobbit in it. I was thinking of editing it slightly to sit down. Also what did you use for chainmail?
I've scene the sites before basicly the only info I can find on the entire internet!

lol, yep, basically. I honestly had no idea what I was doing, but knew what I wanted it to look like. This was before i'd ever played with fiber glass/resin/clays and all the good stuff. There's a TON of people on here who can give you some great adivice on that. I had started with a $.99 plastic basball hat, poster boarded the basic shapes, paper mache, plaster patches, threw on pre-mixed paper mache, bondo and wood filler, sanded it smooth, drew the designs and thinly applied puff paint.. painted. Horrible way to do this I suppose :lol but it was all I knew at the time. Check to see if there are any Pepakura files. That may be of some help.

PS.. NO I couldn't really sit in mine at all! I'd imagine making an easier way to take it off (or that portion) would've been a good idea in hindsight haha!

lol, yep, basically. I honestly had no idea what I was doing, but knew what I wanted it to look like. This was before i'd ever played with fiber glass/resin/clays and all the good stuff. There's a TON of people on here who can give you some great adivice on that. I had started with a $.99 plastic basball hat, poster boarded the basic shapes, paper mache, plaster patches, threw on pre-mixed paper mache, bondo and wood filler, sanded it smooth, drew the designs and thinly applied puff paint.. painted. Horrible way to do this I suppose :lol but it was all I knew at the time. Check to see if there are any Pepakura files. That may be of some help.

PS.. NO I couldn't really sit in mine at all! I'd imagine making an easier way to take it off (or that portion) would've been a good idea in hindsight haha!

I'll Play with ideas tomorrow with templates Might try to get the chest plate done. If it ever drys. So I can try heat gunning it into shape. Im thinking of not having a helmet and going with long blond wig and elf ears.

I was just woundering what are the dimentions of your sword. (Im not planing on making a spear or sheild) Did you make it. If so what from.

Also Im planing on not having the lace up system going to make a buckle and strap system. Thinking of only making the thigh armour finish early. So I ahev room to sit down. Im not trying to make a 100% replica. Just trying to make It look like it is :). But the leather and stuff I might just use brown heavy fabric or something.

You might run into a problem where all the armor pieces are the same length, when you bend them around your body there going to be at different positions. Did you make one from posterboard or something to be sure it fit?

I made the template from heavy paper. It seams to fit alright but it's only a trial any ways so we will see if the concept works.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back