City-by-City -- Hobby Shops

In Concord, California theres this great place I stumbled on that sells all sorts of modeling supplies. I recently bought my woodland scenics molds there. Its called Just Trains. Its a hole in the wall place but I walked in and they were friendly and had train dioramas everywhere.
Of course there are a couple Hobbytowns and such. Theres also a Tap Plastics and the sell posterboard sized sheets of plastic in various colors as well as different casting resins and silicones.
There is a place called Black Diamond Games, a local retailer and they sell modeling supplies as well as name-brand models like Warmachine, Games Workshop, Thomas The Tank...etc.

Thats my neck of the woods. :D

These are a bit out of the way, but if you are in the military you might find yourself in Okinawa, Japan at some point...

Yonkudo and Variety Hobby Time

Okinawa City

Yonkudo is a very nice shop, very clean, don't let the small building fool you! Variety Hobby Time is older and a bit grungier, but you can find some gems tucked away in the corners there - I found a Tsukuda KBoP there, for example. The proprietors are also very nice, but the place can be tricky to find.

See the top two entries here: Okinawa City Shops

Shima Hobby

Ginowan, very close to Camp Foster

Shima is my main shop. An older guy runs it, and he speaks some English (not much). The place is stacked to the rafters with kits, tools and supplies.

See the top entry here:

Ginowan Shops

Mark in Okinawa

In Concord, California theres this great place I stumbled on that sells all sorts of modeling supplies. I recently bought my woodland scenics molds there. Its called Just Trains. Its a hole in the wall place but I walked in and they were friendly and had train dioramas everywhere.
Of course there are a couple Hobbytowns and such. Theres also a Tap Plastics and the sell posterboard sized sheets of plastic in various colors as well as different casting resins and silicones.
There is a place called Black Diamond Games, a local retailer and they sell modeling supplies as well as name-brand models like Warmachine, Games Workshop, Thomas The Tank...etc.

Thats my neck of the woods. :D

Please re-read post #2. You mention trains and warmachine. Do you think your stores "fit" the profile this thread is dedicated to?

Vancouver, BC. Canada - Magic box hobbies: Wide variety of ships, planes, vehicles, sci-fi kits and materials needed to go the whole 9 yards. Limited laser etched parts and styrene sheets/accessories.

Richmond, BC. Canada - Imperial Hobbies: Small "nerd" store with board games, comics, etc. A respectable number of ships, planes, vehicles and a small amount of sci-fi kits. Plenty of materials and equipment, ie. air brushes, laser etched parts, lots of paint.

Last edited:
My initial intent of this thread was for USA travel, but added Canada since it is within driving and a remote chance.
I don't believe I'll quote your shops directly in the opening post, but rather point to your (and possible others) post number.

These are a bit out of the way, but if you are in the military you might find yourself in Okinawa, Japan at some point...

Yonkudo and Variety Hobby Time

Okinawa City

Yonkudo is a very nice shop, very clean, don't let the small building fool you! Variety Hobby Time is older and a bit grungier, but you can find some gems tucked away in the corners there - I found a Tsukuda KBoP there, for example. The proprietors are also very nice, but the place can be tricky to find.

See the top two entries here: Okinawa City Shops

Shima Hobby

Ginowan, very close to Camp Foster

Shima is my main shop. An older guy runs it, and he speaks some English (not much). The place is stacked to the rafters with kits, tools and supplies.

See the top entry here:

Ginowan Shops

Mark in Okinawa

J&M Hobby House
1660 Laural St.
San Carlos, Ca
650 593-5019

Viking Hobby
4713 El Camino
Carmichael, Ca
916 483-6885

Also in Vancouver, BC, Canada - Central Hobbies - Mostly model train stuff, they have an assortment of styrene and accessories as well as photo etch, paint, brass/aluminium rods and tubing, etc.

In Oakville Ontario. Carefree Hobbies. Owner is Nick, he has a massive amount of rare kits.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- Hobby House Ltd. -- Been in business for longer than I've been alive, has a wide variety of scale trains, model aircraft, ship models, diecast cars and numerous sci-fi themed kits covering a range of well-known franchises (ie. Star Trek).

They also have an assortment of styrene sheets, tubing and accessories as well as photo etch add-on sets, carry various brands (ie. Tamiya, Testors, Modelmaster) of both brush-on and small can aerosol paint, brass/aluminium rods and tubing, etc.

Also available there are beginner mold making kits and additional supplies for such. There's practically a bit of something for everyone. Very knowledgeable and helpful staff, too.

What a great thread! Don't know how I missed this! Here's my contribution:

Santa Barbara, CA:

Dave's Hobby Central
14 West Anapamu Street
Santa Barbara
(805) 965-2972

California Hobbies
5118 Hollister Avenue
Santa Barbara
(805) 964-6563

I've only been to either a couple of times, but they both had pretty good selections of kits, and really friendly owners.

NJ:
Avenel Hobbies,
Address: 1111 Saint Georges Avenue, Colonia, NJ 07067
Phone: (732) 382-7717

Has lots of kits of every genre for a small store. They also carry a lot of different paints, styrene and tools.

Manchester, Connecticut. The Time Machine. It's pretty good and has a large variety of models, trains, paints & scenic build materials.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- Hobby House Ltd. -- Been in business for longer than I've been alive, has a wide variety of scale trains, model aircraft, ship models, diecast cars and numerous sci-fi themed kits covering a range of well-known franchises (ie. Star Trek).

Amazing-- thanks for this! Been wondering where exactly top start looking for materials locally.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The so-called hobby shop in my area sucks since all they do is cater to the RC crowd......Pegasus Hobbies is the nearest place I can go to shop for kits which is about 80 miles away. So I'm mainly stuck at mail order

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back