City-by-City -- Hobby Shops

some of the place in oahu is no longer here no more.

I may have not made my self super clear.
We are looking for hobby shops that sell model kits....not looking for RC models, role-playing materials, trains, etc. This list is calling out hobby shops where one can a good supply of kits or supplies for kits (eg, paints, glues, ABS, etc).

would be happy to add some hobby shops of that nature -- but I need you to amend your list for the appropriate stores. thx.

Awesome thread, fellas!
Would be great if there was a way to incorporate a drop-down box for navigation.

Anyone know some good shops in Houston, TX?
I haven't been out looking....yet.

Spartanburg S.C.
The Great Escape Bikes and Hobbies
Hobby Lobby
Michaels

With you including Hobby Lobby and Michael's, I conclude you didn't FULLY read the opening thread and the protocol. Please read it and tell me if The Great Escape is an appropriate choice.
thanks

With you including Hobby Lobby and Michael's, I conclude you didn't FULLY read the opening thread and the protocol. Please read it and tell me if The Great Escape is an appropriate choice.
thanks

...or Hobby Lobby and Michael's.

For reference, " Please do not post a Hobby Lobby or a Hobbytown USA (or any other national chain) -- anybody can do a two second search on google to find those and they are usually the same thing from town to town."

Kettering, OH, Smitty's Hobby Shop (also known sometimes as Dayton Model Railways). Been owned by the same family since the 60s and has a good selection of most everything. They tend to be very competitive with online places on pricing and are incredibly friendly.

In Chantilly, Virginia you can find a pretty good hobby store focused on models and modeling supplies at:

Piper Hobby in the Sully Plaza Welcome to Piper Hobby :: 13892 Metrotech Dr, Chantilly, VA 20151
13892 Metrotech Dr.
Chantilly, VA 20151

The staff is laid back and willing to provide advice to newbies. The collection of models hanging from the ceiling is fun to look at. They have some display cases with models that have won awards toward the back of the store.

- - - Updated - - -

In Chantilly, Virginia you can find a hobby store focused on the RC community that has one good aisle of models and a substantial supply of materials and tools that the scratch builder can use.

Hobby Hanger http://www.hhvastore.com/

14014-D Sullyfield Circle
Chantilly, VA 20151

In Northern New Jersey you have to stop by "Ridgefield Hobbies" A truly classic old time hobby shop. Ask for Jimmy. He's got paint, supplies, old trains and a great kit selection in the back room. It even has a lunch counter with stools. The only thing missing from my childhood is a chocolate egg cream.

508 Broad Ave, Ridgefield, NJ 07657
(201) 943-2636
www.[B]ridgefieldhobby[/B].com/‎

-emojo5/Ed M.

And if you ever want to be transported back to your youth (or at least my youth) you have to visit Dean's Hobby shop in Michigan. This place is like walking into a time machine. Nothing but old classic model kits. Heaven, I tell you. It was about an hour or so north of Ann Arbor, last time I visited the store. Best old time hobby shop in the world (IMHO). Watch for the shop hours, and give yourself lots of time to look around.

Dean's Hobby Stop
116 N. Washington
Owosso, MI 48867
Deans Hobby Stop collectable model car, truck, motocycle kits.

If anyone finds themselves on vacation in Athens, Greece and get the itch to build something or visit a local hobby shop...

Fasma Models
Hippokratous 52, Athens

Kalfakis models
Hippokratous 63, Athens

Plastimodelismo
Hippokratous 48, Athens

These three are literally across the street from each other on the corners. Makes life easy.

I didn't see Franciscan Hobbies in San Francisco, CA listed. I would highly recommend them. Lots of kits including some old and out of production stuff.

Update for Oregon:

Bridgetown Hobbies and Games on Sandy Blvd in Portland is closing their doors forever this Saturday. The owners have decided to retire. I understand they were looking for someone to sell the business to for a while, but no takers, so they're currently liquidating all their stock and have already sold the building.

I've been shopping there since the mid-90s and I'm sad to see it go, but such is life.

Tammie's Hobbies in Beaverton is still going strong, though. That's the other store I always shop at.

--Alex

I havent scoured this thread but....... there is a great model shop on Canoga in the San Fernando Valley. Just north of Victory. I think its called Scaled Models.

thanks

Great Escape (It's a bike shop) is a good choice, although it's my understanding that only the Greenville, SC location carries hobbies after summer 2014:
http://greatescapebikes.com/about/hobbies-home-page-pg539.htm
They have a nice hobby area in the back of the shop. Planes/Cars/Armor/Ships, high-end and low-end brands. Paints, a few aftermarket parts. It's say 40% Kits, 20% Railroad, 40% RC or so.

In North Carolina, you're missing the best model store around, Hayes Hobby House:
http://www.hayeshobby.com/
They have a fantastic selection of kits, mostly aircraft and armor, with a selection of ships, real space, and sci-fi, and a handful of cars. They carry almost every brand: Tamiya, Hasegawa, Eduard, Revell/RoG, Academy, etc., and they get new stuff all the time. Lots and lots of aftermarket, decals, etc. I'd say 50% kits, 50% Railroad/RC. It's the best I've seen in NC.

Our Raleigh-based IPMS club maintains a list of smaller local hobby shops if you're visiting the Triangle: http://ipmseaglesquadron.org/hobbyshops/

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back