Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Nov 5, 2012, 2:16 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #51

Trains & Lanes Hobbies (3825 Northwood Avenue, Easton, PA 18045 not far from the Nazareth Highway rt 248 exit of rt 33). Huge warehouse like store, tons of stuff. A bit unorganized as far as stuff on the shelves, but there are tons of models from old and out of production stuff to new releases. Trains & Lanes Hobbies - Nazareth, PA Patch

Herb's Hobbies and Crafts (200 W. State St. Doylestown, PA 18901) Predominately a train store, but a very decent selection of modelling supplies, styrene displays and paints. A fair amount of current model kits, only a handlful of sci-fi though, more focus on cars, armour and airplanes as far as model kits. Herb's Hobbies & Crafts
    From
    Lexington, KY
    Nov 5, 2012, 3:15 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #52

I've revised the opening thread a bit.

-Trying to EMPHASIZE the focus of this thread: no Hobby Lobby, no Hobbytown USA, no RC, no trains, --- focus on scale model kits and tools to to make them.
    -also have added each person's post number to more easily track each contributor's thoughts on their store.

Really appreciate all who have chipped in so far.
  3. Ray22 is offline Ray22
    Nov 6, 2012, 7:27 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #53

Rider Kabuto said: View Post
    I don't know they were pretty helpful to me when I was getting started in r/c, this was some time ago when they were at the old location. Things could change though. Where do you get your stuff from Ray?
    See that's the thing they basically cater to the R.C. crowd thats why I don't consider them an all around hobby shop. I basically order my stuff online or on Ebay, it takes me 2 buses and a train to get to them just to find they never have what I need.
  4. Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Nov 10, 2012, 10:31 AM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #54

Best place in Tucson,AZ. for kits is:

The Hobby Place at Ace Hardware on 22nd street.

Nice selection of kits and will special order anything.
    Prices are reasonable and the staff is very helpful.

A close 2nd would be Hobbytown on Speedway.
    Nov 10, 2012, 3:55 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #55

Norton Mass: Harry's Hobbies on route 123 (just off the exit from 495 in the Dunkin Donuts plaza).

Excellent selection of armor, air, naval, and supplies. Good selection of SF kits.
  6. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Nov 12, 2012, 8:07 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #56

In St. Petersburg, Florida: Ralph's Hobbies, 5208 66th St N Ste D

Ralph is an old-school hobby guy. He sells mostly injection-molded styrene kits & supplies for building same. He tries to keep a wide variety of kits available, and buys collections of old kits when he can. (A while back, he had not only a set of the old MPC R2-D2 and C-3PO kits for sale, but a Six Million Dollar Man kit from the 70s.) Whether you're looking for a newly released kit or an older kit that's out of production, pay Ralph a visit if you're in the area.
    Last edited by dinomike; Nov 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM. Reason: Forgot address
    Nov 14, 2012, 11:59 AM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #57

qcfoundry said: View Post
    I should have been clear in my first post:
    only recommend hobby shops that you think others would genuinely find a good/great place to shop. I'm hoping nobody denotes any hobby lobbies or hobbytowns in their community.
    Wait, hold on. What is so wrong with Hobbytowns?
    Yes, they carry more than just models. Yes, depending on the size of the store the width and breadth of model choices can be shallow. You do realize though that this is determined by the amount of customers that purchase models in their stores right? Same thing goes with EVERYTHING else in the store.... paints, glues, tools, etc.
    This is on top of having a very large network of distributors and vendors that the stores can special order items from for something they might not carry on-hand but can readily get for you.
    Talk with the staff if you're having difficulties finding something.... they're actually wanting to get your repeat business so unless the franchisee is off their rocker they'll try to help you as best they can.

Disclaimer: Yes I have history with Hobbytown. I was one of their Corporate Training Managers for 10 years. I was also the manager of one of their corporate stores as well as handled all of the restock and special orders for the multiple corporate stores.
    How each store is run is up to the franchisee, but if they're not handling what the customers need then issues can always be taken up the chain... and the corporate office is VERY active in each of the stores, ESPECIALLY if there are issues.
    From
    Lexington, KY
    Nov 14, 2012, 12:43 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #58

Aegis159 said: View Post
    Wait, hold on. What is so wrong with Hobbytowns?
    Yes, they carry more than just models. Yes, depending on the size of the store the width and breadth of model choices can be shallow. You do realize though that this is determined by the amount of customers that purchase models in their stores right? Same thing goes with EVERYTHING else in the store.... paints, glues, tools, etc.
    This is on top of having a very large network of distributors and vendors that the stores can special order items from for something they might not carry on-hand but can readily get for you.
    Talk with the staff if you're having difficulties finding something.... they're actually wanting to get your repeat business so unless the franchisee is off their rocker they'll try to help you as best they can.

Disclaimer: Yes I have history with Hobbytown. I was one of their Corporate Training Managers for 10 years. I was also the manager of one of their corporate stores as well as handled all of the restock and special orders for the multiple corporate stores.
    How each store is run is up to the franchisee, but if they're not handling what the customers need then issues can always be taken up the chain... and the corporate office is VERY active in each of the stores, ESPECIALLY if there are issues.
    Nothing is "wrong" with Hobbytown USA. Its my default store for supplies like glue and paint. I've had great interaction with the local store employees...always very helpful.

Reread the my initial post. This thread is to provide information for the traveler in a new city -- to give them a heads up on the nearby stores, if they are worth visiting and what they might expect. Some of these stores are holes in the walls but well worth the effort of finding them. As I noted, if you google "hobby store" & "insertcity", your likely first hit will be hobbytown or lobby. We already know these stores.

In addition, a deeper interest (at least for me) is to find rare/hard-to-find kits. Stuff that's been OOP for a while. You WON'T find these at the two giants.
    Nov 16, 2012, 2:17 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #59

qcfoundry said: View Post
    Nothing is "wrong" with Hobbytown USA. Its my default store for supplies like glue and paint. I've had great interaction with the local store employees...always very helpful.

Reread the my initial post. This thread is to provide information for the traveler in a new city -- to give them a heads up on the nearby stores, if they are worth visiting and what they might expect. Some of these stores are holes in the walls but well worth the effort of finding them. As I noted, if you google "hobby store" & "insertcity", your likely first hit will be hobbytown or lobby. We already know these stores.

In addition, a deeper interest (at least for me) is to find rare/hard-to-find kits. Stuff that's been OOP for a while. You WON'T find these at the two giants.
    Ah ok, I must have misread, no harm no foul, hehe! carry on, sorry for the diversion!
    From
    Beijing, China
    Nov 18, 2012, 9:30 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #60

WASHINGTON:
    -Lynnwood, Galaxy Hobby (per wookiefood,#50) - best store ever visited
    Nov 22, 2012, 1:53 AM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #61

(expanding Wisconsin a bit)

Greenfield News & Hobby:

Greenfield News and Hobby - Main Page

great models, RC, crafty store (paints, hobby woods, hobby metals..etc)
    Last edited by xl97; Nov 22, 2012 at 9:41 AM.
    From
    California
    Nov 26, 2012, 11:07 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #62

In Concord, California theres this great place I stumbled on that sells all sorts of modeling supplies. I recently bought my woodland scenics molds there. Its called Just Trains. Its a hole in the wall place but I walked in and they were friendly and had train dioramas everywhere.
    Of course there are a couple Hobbytowns and such. Theres also a Tap Plastics and the sell posterboard sized sheets of plastic in various colors as well as different casting resins and silicones.
    There is a place called Black Diamond Games, a local retailer and they sell modeling supplies as well as name-brand models like Warmachine, Games Workshop, Thomas The Tank...etc.

Thats my neck of the woods.
  13. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Nov 27, 2012, 4:56 AM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #63

These are a bit out of the way, but if you are in the military you might find yourself in Okinawa, Japan at some point...

Yonkudo and Variety Hobby Time

Okinawa City

Yonkudo is a very nice shop, very clean, don't let the small building fool you! Variety Hobby Time is older and a bit grungier, but you can find some gems tucked away in the corners there - I found a Tsukuda KBoP there, for example. The proprietors are also very nice, but the place can be tricky to find.

See the top two entries here: Okinawa City Shops

Shima Hobby

Ginowan, very close to Camp Foster

Shima is my main shop. An older guy runs it, and he speaks some English (not much). The place is stacked to the rafters with kits, tools and supplies.

See the top entry here:

Ginowan Shops

Mark in Okinawa
    From
    Lexington, KY
    Nov 27, 2012, 5:18 AM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #64

Shortsonfire79 said: View Post
    In Concord, California theres this great place I stumbled on that sells all sorts of modeling supplies. I recently bought my woodland scenics molds there. Its called Just Trains. Its a hole in the wall place but I walked in and they were friendly and had train dioramas everywhere.
    Of course there are a couple Hobbytowns and such. Theres also a Tap Plastics and the sell posterboard sized sheets of plastic in various colors as well as different casting resins and silicones.
    There is a place called Black Diamond Games, a local retailer and they sell modeling supplies as well as name-brand models like Warmachine, Games Workshop, Thomas The Tank...etc.

Thats my neck of the woods.
    Please re-read post #2. You mention trains and warmachine. Do you think your stores "fit" the profile this thread is dedicated to?
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Nov 27, 2012, 1:37 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #65

Vancouver, BC. Canada - Magic box hobbies: Wide variety of ships, planes, vehicles, sci-fi kits and materials needed to go the whole 9 yards. Limited laser etched parts and styrene sheets/accessories.

Richmond, BC. Canada - Imperial Hobbies: Small "nerd" store with board games, comics, etc. A respectable number of ships, planes, vehicles and a small amount of sci-fi kits. Plenty of materials and equipment, ie. air brushes, laser etched parts, lots of paint.
    Last edited by altername; Nov 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM.
    From
    Lexington, KY
    Nov 27, 2012, 2:21 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #66

My initial intent of this thread was for USA travel, but added Canada since it is within driving and a remote chance.
    I don't believe I'll quote your shops directly in the opening post, but rather point to your (and possible others) post number.

FlyingDachshund said: View Post
    These are a bit out of the way, but if you are in the military you might find yourself in Okinawa, Japan at some point...

Yonkudo and Variety Hobby Time

Okinawa City

Yonkudo is a very nice shop, very clean, don't let the small building fool you! Variety Hobby Time is older and a bit grungier, but you can find some gems tucked away in the corners there - I found a Tsukuda KBoP there, for example. The proprietors are also very nice, but the place can be tricky to find.

See the top two entries here: Okinawa City Shops

Shima Hobby

Ginowan, very close to Camp Foster

Shima is my main shop. An older guy runs it, and he speaks some English (not much). The place is stacked to the rafters with kits, tools and supplies.

See the top entry here:

Ginowan Shops

Mark in Okinawa
    From
    So Cal
    Nov 29, 2012, 9:05 AM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #67

J&M Hobby House
    1660 Laural St.
    San Carlos, Ca
    650 593-5019

Viking Hobby
    4713 El Camino
    Carmichael, Ca
    916 483-6885
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Dec 3, 2012, 9:49 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #68

Also in Vancouver, BC, Canada - Central Hobbies - Mostly model train stuff, they have an assortment of styrene and accessories as well as photo etch, paint, brass/aluminium rods and tubing, etc.
    Dec 4, 2012, 11:49 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #69

In Oakville Ontario. Carefree Hobbies. Owner is Nick, he has a massive amount of rare kits.
    From
    canton, GA
    Dec 9, 2012, 9:24 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #70

there's a great Hobbytown USA in Kennesaw GA that always stays stocked with Gundam kits and even gets in some Godzilla stuff too.
    From
    Ontario, Canada
    Dec 14, 2012, 10:47 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #71

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- Hobby House Ltd. -- Been in business for longer than I've been alive, has a wide variety of scale trains, model aircraft, ship models, diecast cars and numerous sci-fi themed kits covering a range of well-known franchises (ie. Star Trek).

They also have an assortment of styrene sheets, tubing and accessories as well as photo etch add-on sets, carry various brands (ie. Tamiya, Testors, Modelmaster) of both brush-on and small can aerosol paint, brass/aluminium rods and tubing, etc.

Also available there are beginner mold making kits and additional supplies for such. There's practically a bit of something for everyone. Very knowledgeable and helpful staff, too.
    Dec 15, 2012, 12:13 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #72

What a great thread! Don't know how I missed this! Here's my contribution:

Santa Barbara, CA:

Dave's Hobby Central
    14 West Anapamu Street
    Santa Barbara
    (805) 965-2972

California Hobbies
    5118 Hollister Avenue
    Santa Barbara
    (805) 964-6563

I've only been to either a couple of times, but they both had pretty good selections of kits, and really friendly owners.
    From
    Staten Island, NY
    Dec 18, 2012, 2:15 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #73

NJ:
    Avenel Hobbies,
    Address: 1111 Saint Georges Avenue, Colonia, NJ 07067
    Phone: (732) 382-7717

Has lots of kits of every genre for a small store. They also carry a lot of different paints, styrene and tools.
    From
    Vernon (Connecticut), United States
    Dec 20, 2012, 9:52 PM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #74

Manchester, Connecticut. The Time Machine. It's pretty good and has a large variety of models, trains, paints & scenic build materials.
    From
    Austin, TX
    Dec 23, 2012, 12:54 AM - Re: City-by-City -- Hobby Shops #75

Austin, Texas:
    King's Hobby Shop
    King's Hobby Shop - Home
    8810 N. Lamar Blvd. Austin, TX 78753 (512) 836-7388
    Mostly aircraft, tanks and naval vessels. Some Sci-Fi models. Very good people running the place.