1:1 Star Wars Tauntaun Bust Sculpt

psimon

I am still roughing out the general facial features which is difficult as I keep finding more references that seem to contradict each other. I am hoping to have the horns roughed in soon and figured out away to make them removable while still able to work on them.

Tauntaun_05.jpg

I am sculpting with NSP Medium Sulphur-Free Plasteline for easier Silicone molding. The final product will be a fiberglass or reson casting. More WIP pics can be seen here: http://www.thedragonsden.ca/tauntaun/

Last edited:
Looking really good so far! I totally agree with you about different reference material making something look completely different. It's frustrating, but you're on a great track already. Keep it up and looking forward to more work in progress photos and the final result.

Horns and ears roughed out. I still need to round out the top of the head and add all the bumps before I can start detailing.
Tauntaun_07.jpg

Last edited:
Love it! Someday I want to redo mine and make it a bit more screen accurate.

Can't wait to see it finished :)

Love it! Someday I want to redo mine and make it a bit more screen accurate.

Can't wait to see it finished :)

Dude, your tauntaun is amazing! I wish I had the skills to put something like that together. After seeing yours and some other full size tauntaun costumes and props, I keep thinking I should go all out and build the rest of the body some day. it wouldn't be mechanical or wearable but something that looks nice and can at least be sat on. But first I need to finish this head.

You also mentioned that you built a dinosaur? Do you have that posted anywhere?

Any updates on this project? Love to see some progress pics.

Thanks for the kind words, building mine was a lot of fun. I think you should go for it and do the whole body. :thumbsup

I have a pic of the dino on my profile, not my best work, but hey, it only cost me just over $100 to make so I really can't complain too much :)

Any updates on this project? Love to see some progress pics.

Thanks for the kind words, building mine was a lot of fun. I think you should go for it and do the whole body. :thumbsup

I have a pic of the dino on my profile, not my best work, but hey, it only cost me just over $100 to make so I really can't complain too much :)

No updates yet. I only get a chance to work on him a bit every other weekend and this past weekend I ended up reorganizing my basement collection The Dragons Den

I also havn't decided if I want to tackle the sculpted fur myself or hand this project over to my brother who is a profesinal sculptor.

Your dino turned out great. That must have been a lot of work both to design and build. Very nice!

That's coming along beautifully buddy. The nose, ears and eyes are especially well done. You know what would I would love to see you do next? Falcore the Luck Dragon from Neverending Story, I think you could really do him justice. Great job :-D :-D

That's coming along beautifully buddy. The nose, ears and eyes are especially well done. You know what would I would love to see you do next? Falcore the Luck Dragon from Neverending Story, I think you could really do him justice. Great job :-D :-D

Thanks for the compliments. Still a long way to go on this sculpt. Once everything is roughed in, I will go over it and make adjustments here and there (as I keep finding new and better reference).

As for Falcore, that could be an interesting project but I suspect I will tackle a 1/4 scale Han Solo's tauntaun to go with the Han Solo (Hoth) 1/4 Scale Ultimate Action Figure OR this great scene with Luke and his tauntaun.

cinefex-03.jpg

I also want to get back to work on some werewolf/lycan figures I started a while back
lycan03.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back