1:1 Star Wars Tauntaun Bust Sculpt

Building a better butt...

I wasn't happy with how 'thick' the quarters were looking so I decided to slim her down a bit. This meant ripping off much of the leg sculpt and rebuilding some of the leg armature. I am hoping to flush out the legs this weekend.

QuarterScale15.jpg

QuarterScale16.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments people! Sorry this project is taking so long but other obligations have taken priority. I hope to get back to this project soon along with finishing the 1:1 Tauntaun Wall mounted bust and starting a 1/6 version (Since SideShow has stated thay are not working on one.)

Rough sculpt is complete. Now onto the detailing and texturing.
QuarterScale19.jpg

QuarterScale20.jpg

Attachments

• QuarterScale20.jpg
    QuarterScale20.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 107
I recently picked up the Hoth Han Figure you have next to your sculpt and have been looking into having a go at a project similar to yours to display with my SSC PFs.

I've never sculpted anything before but plan on using faux fur which should help to cover up any lack of detail in the body and in keeping with the SSC PF style I will make all the saddle etc from materials too....the head however I can see taking many attempts.

Did you make any more progress on this one? Would love to see it if you did.

I recently picked up the Hoth Han Figure you have next to your sculpt and have been looking into having a go at a project similar to yours to display with my SSC PFs.
Did you make any more progress on this one? Would love to see it if you did.

That would be awesome! Here is a link to my sculpting page that shows most of the steps I used to make my 1/4 sculptif that helps: The Dragons Den

I am sorry that my sculpts have been delayed once again as life seems to get in the way of fun. I have moved onto other work and hope to get back to my tauntauns later this year.

Thanks, I've actually been using the first picture on your page the scaled drawing in photoshop to make a template for printing out and transferring onto card.
I did a search expecting it to be in vain as I didn't think anyone else would have tried a 1/4 Tauntaun but was pleasantly surprised that not only had you started one but it was also in scale for the exact figure I was using.
My plan is to make a rough figure copying your cardboard idea, the sculpt won't be anywhere near as detailed as yours it will be more like yours in the plaster/bandage stage but I will add the more prominent muscle shapes which will show through the faux fur but not tons of detailing. I'll be sure to post a thread on it if it actually works!

Last edited:
Thanks, I've actually been using the first picture on your page the scaled drawing in photoshop to make a template for printing out and transferring onto card.

Glad my drawing is helpful. I combines features of both the stopmotion and full size prop to come up with that. The only difference i my finished sculpt is I shortened the feet and lowered the neck.

If you are going to use fake fur I would sugest trimming off an inch on all sides of teh cardbaord to allow for plaster bandage and fur otherwise he will end up looking way too fat/foofy.

Thanks will do.
Not sure how I'm going about it yet I've cut all the cardboard and losely tapes it together today will give it all a trim tomorrow. I was possibly thinking of doing what you did and building with the plaster bandages or bulking the cardboard frame out with just air dry clay or foil with air dry clay on top. As I say never tried sculpting anything before so looking into different methods and trying to see what would be easiest.

I was possibly thinking of doing what you did and building with the plaster bandages or bulking the cardboard frame out with just air dry clay or foil...

I do all my bulking with foam (you can buy chunks and sheets at Walmart). It's fast and easy and you can even sculpt the foam with a sharp knife or scisors:
Tauntaun_01.jpg
QuarterScale09.jpg

Last edited:
that makes sense and i guess will also stop it being overly heavy. I'll see if I can find a similar type of foam in the UK.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back