Thror's Map

Mino

Hi there! :) My name is Mino and i come from Italy. This is my first post, but i follow the forum for a long time. The first props I would like to create is the Thror's Map as seen in the Fellowship of the Ring. I wanted to ask some advice from more experienced: Some of you have a file of the map? are the measure? What material would you use for the paper?

First of all Welcome! ^^

hmm as for thrors map Use google images, spits out a hell of a lot of images.
As for the paper, id either use leather or a thick cloth to make it look old and realistic.
Actual paper decays to easy in my opinnion but still its a personal choise :p

I used Watercolor paper on my build, thought that it would take staining the best and looik like pergament(or whatever the map would be drawn onto).

Mine was measured 50cm x 30cm, in hindsight, should have been more like 50x40.

Good luck with your build!(Draw more likely!)

_Atlas

Welcome, and good luck in your creations! Attached is my verson of Thror's map. I love making map recreations-I've done Thror's, a few of Middle Earth and most recently, Hyboria. I try to make them as big as possible, and use 45.7 X 60.9 cm, heavy weight/medium tooth paper. I use permanent marker, and when done, age it with strong concentrated coffee. Rensole has a good idea, grab a good pic from Google Images, or the map from the book. Mine measures 44 X 33. To blow it up, you can either use a grid system or a tracer projector.

here's one I made a few years back.
Simple tan thick stock paper, weathered with airbrush and stained with watercolor.
Map was drawn with brush ans sepia ink.
(top map is mine, bottom map is one in the film)

thrormapsmpleweb.jpg

Great Job Saber! I think i will use something like The tracer projector. I would then copy a 1:1 image. It's very difficult to find a 1:1 detailed image of The map. I am not yet pratical, in this sense :p You have something? I would have another question: as you did The folds? You just fold The paper, to achieved The desired effect? Thanks again guys :D

Great Job Saber! I think i will use something like The tracer projector. I would then copy a 1:1 image. It's very difficult to find a 1:1 detailed image of The map. I am not yet pratical, in this sense :p You have something? I would have another question: as you did The folds? You just fold The paper, to achieved The desired effect? Thanks again guys :D

I folded the paper in both directions, and then rubbed a light sandpaper on the edge while it was folded.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back