Space Ship Movie Set

Hunt270

So I am unsure where to post this, so i figured I'd start here.

I am starting to build a space ship set for a Web series I am starting and I wasn't sure if anyone knew what I should use or know what site or thread to go to to help me figure it out.

Thanks,
Hunt270

So I am unsure where to post this, so i figured I'd start here.

I am starting to build a space ship set for a Web series I am starting and I wasn't sure if anyone knew what I should use or know what site or thread to go to to help me figure it out.

Thanks,
Hunt270

Typical Hollywood Sets are Made of:
1. Wood.
2. Silicone.
3. Drywall plaster.

A typical "Hollywood Flat" is is 8 feet by 4 feet. You may need to create an additional piece that adds an additional 2 feet to the top of the Hollywood flat (so that the top of the set is not revealed, no matter how if you pull a low angle shot). Since you're planning on making this a web series, you want a set that is well constructed and can support whatever weight you decide to apply to it, such as holding decor or even hanging lights off the top.

However, since you're building a spaceship, you're also going to need to know what type of style you're going for. Are you going clean and sleek like 2001: A Space Odyssey? Grungey and gritty like the Nostromo of Alien? Basically, the style also helps out in deciding what other materials to use. When I was in film school, one of the 35mm sound stages was used by a production for a music video. They constructed a "starship hallway", using wood and sheet styrene. The styrene was used to as a diffusion for lighting up the set (basically, using typical studio lights aimed at them on both sides to give the appearance of them glowing).

So, again, it primarily depends on what type of design you're going with, which helps you out in deciding the materials. A Star Wars fan film called Star Wars: Broken Allegiance has a few behind the scenes videos in addition to their main feature. One of them happens to be about set construction, which they explained they used wood, computer parts and vintage car parts to construct the readjustable spacecraft set (which is used for multiple spacecraft, the differences done in lighting and readjusting the set).

Internal set or external? For one of the shorts I did I used 8' corrugated steel culvert for the inside of a submarine. I also used a 40' connex container for everything from a science lab to an offce. I've made 12 short films which will NEVER see the light of day if I have anything to say about it. The longest was 8 minutes, the shortest was 90 seconds. I'm still experimenting and writing, so maybe someday I'll actually make something I'll put on youtube, other than instructional videos or videos of my kids concerts and performances.

As CB2001 said it all depends on the style you want. When I was in college we did a Red Dwarf rip-off. Drywall base with paint and a few greeblies and your set.

You need a design first or something to base the size, look and lighting on.

Yep, design comes first and you need to figure out the budget you're willing to spend on your set.

I've seen some nice work on a private highschool scifi film in a very confined space with materails the maker could afford.

Design your set with materials available at some Home Depot or Mennards that you're willing to spend on. Scrounging aound for materials and applying your imagination of what you find wouldn't hurt either.

Hunt270, it would also possibly help your cause if we knew the city and state your in. For example here in LA you can find buildings being refurbished or studios tossing sets that, when asked, many times allow you to load up on those discarded items. Sometimes an hour on the phone and a day with a truck will save you thousands in labor and materials.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back