The LARGE Terminator CPU Chip project - needs a builder.

ONEYE

Sr Member
Here are the dimensions for the one that was made long ago in a secret undisclosed location. The mold is gone and the only one that was made has been lost (in time/space).

Not a difficult prop... simple design, 3 components.

-- Block, 4.0" square, 0.375" bevel (all edges).
-- Pipe, 1.25" OD, 2.0" L (showing).
-- Flange, 2.0" OD, 1.25" ID, 0.25" thick.

180+ parts so all I can say to whoever tries to make this - have fun with all the parts. I mean, that's if they want to do it the way I did with individual flanges. Still a lot of parts. Also, casting is not cheap.

Terminator Chip pictures by polsnulspace - Photobucket

Last edited by a moderator:
I've dreamt about having this piece for years now and if someone would like to take this project onboard, I'd be most grateful and I would definitely take one.

Oh and just to clarify....I didn't actually create the above image. I've just had it lurking in my photobucket for Gawd knows how long! :angel

Just wanna draw your attention to the following........

dtmyjhdy-1.jpg

Note the cut out sections on the flange(s) in comparison to the above image.

Sounds like a cool project. Because I'm far better in making paper props, I have a question: Would it make any sense to build the parts of this chip replica from cardboard and spray it with car paint? Of course, nothing cheap looking, but as screen accurate as possible. And of course, if you lift it up, it would be very light, but maybe it's good enough for display?? What do you think?

Looks like an easy build since you only need a few molds, 4 different blocks, one for the washer pieces and the tubes (tubes would be easier to source) Problem is the casting, 30 blocks 114 washers and the tube. It would be an expensive process just to take the time to cast em. :eek

I have a bunch of the chips that fit inside :) Perhaps they could all be made hollow, one side without a face and then filled in. And then one face could be left open for a sliding tray? I'm tempted to give it a shot. I could just use acrylic pieces, laser cut.

I made one for a friend maybe 16 years ago now. What I used for the black box's were off the shelf acrylic displays from Chinatown, PVC for the pipe and drilled out washers for the silver bits. To set the PVC pipe in place took a simple press in cap end and some PVC glue. Not too sure how it was to scale but it looked near identical based off a couple freeze frames on VHS.

To do it as a quality replica would be simple yet the start up costs high. A master of one black box, molded and two gang molds of 3 made, do a brush up of mild plastic and use some expanding foam as filler or a hard foam as a backing to that coat of brushed in plastic (similar to rotocasting but with hard expanding foam), sheet styrene cut the diameter of the box wall to use as a washer inside the box's for every connection of PVC pipe to alleviate the pressure stress of said pipe and mounts, the slotted nuts may need to be drilled/milled out.

It is a lot of work but a simple project.

I wouldn't be shy in paying for someone's efforts here. As you said Rob, this is a very simple design but the time, effort and materials involved in pulling off a quality replica wouldn't come cheap.

I really need to get that back room in my garage converted into a little workshop so I can start a tinkerin' and a putterin'......:rolleyes

I can make one, $500 bucks :)

When anyone pops off a number like this, I tend to immediately not give it much consideration. (Unless I have history w/that person.) Now, if you built one, showed us photos, spoke a little bit about the construction, even showed in progress shots of the work, then I would be able to say, yes, I'd pay that much for it, or not.

No offense.

Actually, that number probably isn't far off for a quality build. As you point out theres a lot of parts. One mold could be used for the cube then the holes drilled based upon the part. Rotomolded cubes would save weight and material. The costs could easily go up from that point however.

If you don't have the funds I'd echo what someone else posted, blue foam insulation and some PVC. That would be an inexpensive version.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back