The LARGE Terminator CPU Chip project - needs a builder.

Actually hollow would be more expensive not for the materials but for the time it takes to make and construct them.

These blocks are 4" X 4" that's a lot of resin. Foam filler can be gotten cheap. Casting time would be about the same (labor). All in all hollow would be less expensive, unless someone charges insane labor rates.

Please keep carbon fiber out of this build ;) PVC will do just fine for the tubes, or metal tubes. Funny thing I'm confident I could build this but lining up the boxes perfectly would be a chore. I think perhaps one approach would be to drill the holes larger than needed and adjust the slotted nuts to each box on a large flat surface. I have access to a shopbot and a laser cutter so I was thinking mdf and I could drill the large holes or at least a starting hole.

As long as the holes are drilled correctly lining the blocks up shouldn't be an issue at all.

I could provide a kit for the blocks to use as masters pretty easily if someone wants to take those and assemble, clean them up and mold them. I don't have any real I in interest in the project other than thinking its neat and wanting to help out. What ever my machining cost would be (well under $100) would be what I would charge. No mark up, just what my CNC
guy would charge.

These blocks are 4" X 4" that's a lot of resin. Foam filler can be gotten cheap. Casting time would be about the same (labor). All in all hollow would be less expensive, unless someone charges insane labor rates.

Hollow casting in resin is just a pain if you have not got a rotocaster... There four it's more labor intensive...

for something this small you can just turn it over by hand. The labor wont outstrip the cost of a solid resin block. Cure time will be the same

Carbon fiber wasn't around at the time. Carbon fiber was not used in the build. Looks like 2 slots and internal threads only. In the special edition/Dyson axing the chip.

It wasn't popular until like the late 90/early 2000s! Anyhow that carbon fiber look is definitely not in the chip prop. I worked on this CAD drawing for the last hour. It's a bit fun but one thing I couldn't figure out is printing to BMP via Autocad 2000. :thumbsup

BouncingSkullBump.gif

Keeping the thread alive.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back