The Prisoner (1967) Village Map

Thanks, everyone (especially deck 5) for all the help so far. Right now this project has been on the back burner, but I'm still working on it! I found some very detailed screenshots of the cover later on in the "Arrival" episode, so I'll try sourcing the leatherette material first. Deck 5, where'd you find that mockup map? It looks great.

Hey, Spence. Sorry, missed your question. That's my version of the map, I've been meaning to complete it. Still have a few trees to add.

I know this is an old thread, but this is something I've been interested in. Just curious if any additional movement has been made on the map.
Thanks

I’ve been working on my own version of the Village Map as well. I have all of my artwork finished, but I’m still looking for a place to have it printed -- finding a place that does high-quality printing onto that’s paper suitable for folding into a map has proven to be something of a challenge. I may be close to a solution for the leatherette cover as well, which is presenting an entirely different set of challenges.

Yep, I own a couple of those. That map was created by Prisoner fans Roger and Karen Langley, back in the days of VHS and standard-def TV. It's a beautiful map, especially considering the technological limitations of the time, but unfortunately the new HD transfers reveal its shortcomings. With the reference material available today, it's possible to piece together a much more accurate map.

Blowing the dust off this thread...

Anyone had an progress on a nice new updated version?

I thought I had a color one from my days of being in Six Of One The Prisoner Appreciation Society back in the 90s, but all I could find was an old B&W.

I’m actually mostly finished with mine – here are some pics of a prototype:

Your Village.jpg

Old Peoples Home.jpg

Tower.jpg

I still want to adjust the colors a bit, and the cover is still a work in progress.

My map is 33.1 inches by about 15.5 inches. I'm assuming the original was printed onto A1-sized paper. (I'm pretty sure the Tally Ho was printed at A1 size as well.)

The ISO 216 standard for paper sizes like A4 and A3 etc, wasn't written until 1975,
As the Prisoner was made in the UK well before that, any paper used would have been imperial sizes.

Actually, that paper standard dates back to 1922 (as DIN 476), and was adopted as a national standard in the UK back in 1959. DIN 476 was later codified as an international standard (ISO 216) in 1975.

As I said, it's an assumption, but since the Tally Ho appears to have been printed at onto A1 paper as well, I think it's a reasonable one. Everything is guesswork until the original prop turns up, though!

HI everybody, this is my first post on this forum. I'm glad that there is still some Prisoner fans out there !

I also, worked on the Village map. It's an iconic piece but strangely only has 10 seconds for air time.
On the Blue ray release we can see that it had been done very quickly. Personnaly I tried to give it a little bit more meat.

Here's the presentation on my website :
http://www.studiodaruma.com/blog/index.php/2013/03/17/post-with-large-image/

slides_carte_village.jpg

I also did the Esp Card deck seen in the episode Schizoid Man, it was fun :

slides_esp-e1461433440332.jpg

Also did Number 6 costume. I sourced all the elements as close as possible from the original. But the blaser I did bespoke, in the traditionnal way :
( Ok ok the piping is thicker than the original. Creative license here...)
slide_prisoner_jacket_vert.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back