Tron: Legacy Quorra helmet build

Crimson490

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Tron-fans out there! I have officially caught the modeling bug. After I finished the CLU helmet, I just couldn't stop thinking about my next project.

Hopefully I can do justice to this very challenging shape, and I hope this thread is enjoyable to those watching the progress.

If you see something that doesn't quite look right - comment! There isn't a lot of reference material to go on, so all help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: Tron: Legacy Quorra Helmet

The foam model is starting to take shape. it's so easy working with this stuff to rough in the basic form. Its not quite right yet, but the details will get ironed out with the bondo.

Another thing i did, which i did for the CLU helmet, is make a "poor man's" sculpt stand which helps me to work on the helmet hands-free. This comes in really handy when it'll be time to pour the silicon. I like the spray foam can cause it's taller than most spray paint cans - gets the model up off the table better to work underneath. also, the cap let's me swivel the model and it works great for quick release/attach of the sculpt from the stand.

Latest update: First 2 coats of bondo and 1st sanding. Still have some tweaking to do on the chin/jaw line, but getting closer!

stay tuned...

Fantastic progress so far, really seeing the Quorra shape coming through on the final picture.

Great idea with the 'poor mans' sculpting stand, may have to steal that one, in fact i'll be using a lot of your techniques if and when i come to sculpt a helmet!

Thanks! Hope this stuff is helpful.

today's progress:
more bondo and sanding. i can't keep track of how many coats i've done!
still ironing out the jaw, and starting to do the rear 'vents'. The cheek looks a little puffy to me...not sure.

Once i get one side of the helmet right, i'll do the other side.

slowly making progress...this is a tough shape!
I'm starting to rough in the side vents. I also took about a half inch off the neck behind the jawline.

I think i need to work on the nose a little. It dents in to far.

I've had a really hard time getting the jaw and chin right. Though my original iteration didn't look too bad, it just wasn't quite right. But now i think i'm almost there...I've extended the chin and the back of the head a bit.

i'll refine it a little more, then tackle the other side.

Amazing!
I loved your clu helmet and this one doesn't look like it will disappoint

Thanks!
I'm starting to work on the symmetry now...
First, i'll match up the top surface, then when that's good i'll work my way down the side. It's nice to have definitive edges on the helmet to measure against. The profile gauge is also very helpful at zeroing in on fine differences that my eye can't see, though it is a tedious process. We'll see if it pays off.

Nice, im a fan of this movie and looks like you are coming out with another great piece

Thanks! More progress on the mirrored side:

I'm using the profile tool to capture the shape of the finished side at different locations, then tracing the shapes onto cardboard. The cardboard cutouts are nice for quick reference to show where i need to add or remove material.

The top is about done, and the upper surface on the side is about 70% there.

I just made a curved helmet as well and struggled a bit with symmetry even though I had a contour gauge. What was your method of getting a really accurate center line and marking those distances? (Actually I guess the numbers you have marked don't have to correlate with distances such as inches if you're just matching the two sides at those points.) I personally had difficulty in assuring that my "center" line was truly on center the entire way and I had to redo some areas as a result of correcting the center line halfway through.

Here's a couple ways you can establish a good centerline:

-The quick and dirty way is to use a string and a good eye. This isn't fail-proof though as the line can wander if you're not careful.

-The most accurate way is to cut a hole in a sturdy and flat piece of cardboard, or plywood etc. slightly larger than your helmet. This cardboard is your 'centerplane' which if you can hold it steady with your scuplt generally in the middle, you can trace a line all the way around the helmet. If you don't think you can trace the line accurately enough, make a few dots at various points and then use the string/trace method to connect them. Technically, you only need three points to establish a plane, but a few more might help keep you from letting your string wander too much.

Good luck!

This looks absolutely fantastic! Keep up the good work!

I love that you're showing detailed pics on how you're doing the sculpt. I've been thinking about trying a sculpt myself and this information is going to be very valuable to me.

Here's a couple ways you can establish a good centerline:

-The quick and dirty way is to use a string and a good eye. This isn't fail-proof though as the line can wander if you're not careful.

-The most accurate way is to cut a hole in a sturdy and flat piece of cardboard, or plywood etc. slightly larger than your helmet. This cardboard is your 'centerplane' which if you can hold it steady with your scuplt generally in the middle, you can trace a line all the way around the helmet. If you don't think you can trace the line accurately enough, make a few dots at various points and then use the string/trace method to connect them. Technically, you only need three points to establish a plane, but a few more might help keep you from letting your string wander too much.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I used the string method combined with the lines on the inside of the helmet since it was a pep model. I don't know why it never occurred to me to use a piece of cardboard as a sturdier plane but I'll be sure to use that method in the future since it seems a lot better.

Quorra Re-rezzing...

Top is done, upper side is done, working now on the lower side/jaw.

I'm also starting to fiddle around with lighting. My plan is to use the ~$25 Glowhut white EL tape (comes with 9v inverter) cut into as many sections as there are lights on the helmet and wire them in series. I count 8 sections...maybe 9. The 1.4m length should be sufficient to do them all.

For now, i plan to use copper tape w/ soldered wire running off them. mcmaster sells 3ft spools of 1/4 wide tape for ~$9. i just wanted to do a sanity check with splicing the tape with the copper. no problem. the laminate peels off the back nicely. the copper sticks, and we have light!

Edit: after a few weeks, the splicing job with just the copper does not hold up, and the connection goes bad. You'll want to use wire glue or piercing connectors.

Last edited:

thank you. i've been pretty swamped recently, but will get back into it asap!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back