Hellraiser Puzzle Box

I know there are many versions of this box out there. Can anybody point me in the direction of a decent economically priced version? I found a wood one on the bay for under $50 and the NECA one for $100 OBO.

I know there are many versions of this box out there. Can anybody point me in the direction of a decent economically priced version? I found a wood one on the bay for under $50 and the NECA one for $100 OBO.
What do you call "economically priced"? Is $100 still economical for you? Stay away from the NECA boxes, these fall apart...

Printed versions? crap.
I have some slightly blemished ones, that are etched brass. I can post some pictures and place it in the junkyard for you to see. If you want a deal they will be between 75-100$.

As always, if you're looking for quality, it'll cost you. You can buy plastic boxes on Ebay for $20. You just connect all the pieces together - and you got yourself a box. If you want them from wood, or etched brass, you're going to have to pay more. Etching brass costs tons of $ if you have it sent out to do. Doing it yourself is much more cost effective, but you have to be able to have the space, ability to deal with chemicals, and other things. There are some people that make really good and cool boxes and they are right to charge lots for what they do. There are - at times - boxes and things that go for fairly cheap on ebay, but you really have to be watching the listings on a regular basis.

BTW there's something in the mix for the 25th anniversary of Hellraiser and Night Breed. Can't really say much but it's from someone who worked on the films. Keep your eyes open.
:)
sayce's finally coming through, huh? 'bout time.

now - if he'd only spill the beans about the Decker mask.

no one has got it 'right'. materials, process, etc. that mask has been meticulously studied by many and while a few have come kinda close - the textures and such have never been right.

so i would want to know about the materials and process.

no one has got it 'right'. materials, process, etc. that mask has been meticulously studied by many and while a few have come kinda close - the textures and such have never been right.

so i would want to know about the materials and process.

Here you go Hyde:

"The Nightbreed mask was built up on a head cast of David. Rather than using clay I used varying densities of Plastalina, starting with the hardest and ending with a thin layer of the softest. I heated it up in a saucepan and 'poured' it on, then used hessian to texturise it. Plastalina is great as you can tweak it for as long as you need."

Here you go Hyde:

"The Nightbreed mask was built up on a head cast of David. Rather than using clay I used varying densities of Plastalina, starting with the hardest and ending with a thin layer of the softest. I heated it up in a saucepan and 'poured' it on, then used hessian to texturise it. Plastalina is great as you can tweak it for as long as you need."

More from Simon:
"The Buttonface mask. It was made only from foam, but I sculpted the Plastalina to a uniform depth of 2-3mm (I think) so that the shape held its integrity. This obviously meant that Cronenberg went up a size on his shirt collar! I can't remember for sure, but he may have worn a simple skull cap to keep things simple. A UK 'box maker' told me a few weeks ago that one of the original masks just sold to a German collector for about £6,000 but I don't know who to. This is shame 'coz he probably knows more about the thing than me!!"

Update to this thread on Simon...

See this post:
http://www.therpf.com/f13/simon-sayce-singed-hellraiser-puzzle-boxes-167781/#post2651470

As to the quality of the Puzzle Boxes...I have a client who owns one from me and one from "the other guy" the shoppe...he will tell you who has the better quality boxes. The best he has owned so far...

As for screen accurate, Simon has stated this:
"your boxes are definitely based on something close too the original designs I made back in '86"

But they are about to get even more accurate...

again see this post for Pictures of Simon Signing the boxes....
http://www.therpf.com/f13/simon-sayce-singed-hellraiser-puzzle-boxes-167781/#post2651470

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back