Working on a Satyr costume.

whiteraven

So I've always wanted to find a way to make an anatomically correct looking Satyr costume, but never liked how most costumers did the legs...

So I wanted to find a way to make something more believable, like the Chronicles of Narnia movies were able to do, but without the help of CG.

So began mulling the idea over with another artist friend of mine and he gave me a great idea... make the cloven hooves more like shoes than a leg apparatus. Though not like these (though they are kinda cool.)

what about hiding the "stiletto heel" portion of the shoe behind some longer fur t hat drapes down to the ground or even a little longer?

it would disguise the entire gun in the above pic

*very cool idea btw I look fwd to seeing what you're able to do

I thought of that, but I wanted to do something that didn't rely on illusion. Or got too bulky like you often see as well.
faunlegs.jpg

Something more like these.

I started with trying out something meant to keep your feet and ankles safe, Ski Boots. After a quick disassemble and study, I found they too would end up too bulky. Maybe the foam liners will help?

And with a little clay to help visualize...

This brought on some better ideas...more to come.

Thanks. Those are real similar to what I'm thinking, though they rely alot more on the wearer for support (I bet your calves would ache after a short while)

So I guess I should reveal what I'm doing, since the pics I've been posting are kinda old. :)

100_1239.jpg
100_1241.jpg
100_1246.jpg
100_1247.jpg
100_1248.jpg

Then I realized they didn't sit as high as I wanted them, so...
100_1252.jpg
100_1253.jpg

And to visualize the next step.
100_1254.jpg
100_1255.jpg

Awesome work. I have seen a few goe's at this in New Orleans. Few have nailed it though. I like your support Idea in the heel region.

A shoe / foot such as this will be taxing (IMO) either way you go or look at it.

It's like my Predator buddies say ...... one must burn in order to look cool. In your case it will be the ole' calf's burning:0.

Great work.

Some Updates...

Had a breakthrough on these and how to make them easier to resize for different people, so I did a little redesign on my prototype.

And started making the templates for the mid-size hoof.

So it's been a good weekend. Christmas was great, my daughter loved the giant Barbie house I made her. I also got time to work on making patterns for my second set of hooves, the mid-size ones. Then got time to cut out my sintra and form them as well on Sunday evening.

So on to the pictures.

And today's work.

More updates...

I got the large hoof closer to completion, while also getting the new medium hoof caught up (as far as build progress.)

Comments, questions, and interest welcome!

You're definitely on to something there, they look pretty sweet. I have made the other kind before, the ones that end up bulky, the main reason that happens is the leg support. Without that leg support though that costume hurt like a mother-***ker.

This is looking awesome though, best of luck!

Very cool work!
There are a few furry cosplayers who do quadsuits and create the illusion of legs facing the wrong way simply by inserting suitable foam padding.

The example that springs to mind for me is this video: Wolf Link Quad Suit - Progress 1 - YouTube
This shows you the 'bare bones' underneath parts of the fursuit they used. Perhaps the rear legs could be useful for what you're trying to achieve further up the leg from just the 'hoof'? I really love how sturdy yours look :) I own a pair of the aforementioned "hoof boots" which I am converting into a pair of long fall boots from Portal, and am intrigued to see how well yours balance!

Excellent work! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back