1/24 X-Wing near 100% from scratch

Hey Rafa, that is one incredible rear end mate, x-wing that is:lol.
Truly awe-inspiring work here, it's just flawless.
You must have so much more satisfaction scratching the parts, rather than assembling some resin kit Rafa.
Love it:cool
Stu

The rear section is hard to get done correctly, so many angles connecting together... and you did it extremely well. I'm really looking forward to see more! Also, thanks for being an inspiration :)

Hey Rafa, that is one incredible rear end mate, x-wing that is:lol.
Truly awe-inspiring work here, it's just flawless.
You must have so much more satisfaction scratching the parts, rather than assembling some resin kit Rafa.
Love it:cool
Stu

Cant imagine the carpal tunnel

Last edited:
Hi Stu, imkold and Aurora.

Many thanks for your words. And my carpal tunnel is ok by the moment… I think… not sure…:lol

A new update.

I'm working on the details that complete the front and rear sides of the wings.

The four parts of the Sealab were easy to copy, the Hummel parts is another matter.
Through a friend who works in a signage company, I got the pieces that has that toothed circular hole, made ​​from acrylic and laser cut. The pieces are perfect.:)

I also tried the same process for the heatsinks, but their fins are too thin and the heat itself that emits the laser distorts the piece. Too bad once again I'll have to work from scratch.:confused

The other pieces of the Hummel am making from scratch. I will make three pieces: two for the fronts of the wings, and one for the rear which then I have to copy in resin to complete the four required. I will also need to resin copy the machine gun of the Sherman to obtain the four copies needed for the front sides of the wings.

Thanks for looking.:love
Rafa

Attachments

• sealab-01.jpg
    sealab-01.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 369
  • lasercut-01.jpg
    lasercut-01.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 458
  • hummel-06.jpg
    hummel-06.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 363
  • hummel-07.jpg
    hummel-07.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Beautiful job as always Rafa, you da man for this scratch building lark.
Stu

Many thanks Stu. I try…:cheers

New update.

1 - The Hummel pieces for front and rear sides of the wings already been completed.

2 - Also the pieces that combine parts of Hummel and Sherman to the rear sides of the wings.

3 - I took that I was working with these pieces of the Sherman to make a new Milliput mold and obtain copies of the necessary details for the guns.

4 - I'm currently working on Sealab parts that go into the back of the outer surfaces of the wings.

Sometimes the pieces that seem easy require more time than you might think. :behave

Thanks for looking.

Rafa

Attachments

• sealab-03.jpg
    sealab-03.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 436
  • sealab-02.jpg
    sealab-02.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 408
  • sherman_cast-01.jpg
    sherman_cast-01.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 513
  • hummel+sherman-01.jpg
    hummel+sherman-01.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 563
  • hummel-08.jpg
    hummel-08.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 505
Hey! Moska-san!:)
You did magnificent job on all parts.
What are you gonna make next? Saturn engine bell? Or phantom engine and engine parts? Anyway I’m looking forward to your wonderful work from now on.:thumbsup

Changing the topic, IMO, about the pic of the rear section of MAXI-BRUTE contributed by you in another thread, I watched it for the first time, umm... I think it is apparent MAXI-BRUTE was made in reference to RED2. :unsure

Hey! Moska-san!:)
You did magnificent job on all parts.
What are you gonna make next? Saturn engine bell? Or phantom engine and engine parts? Anyway I’m looking forward to your wonderful work from now on.:thumbsup

Changing the topic, IMO, about the pic of the rear section of MAXI-BRUTE contributed by you in another thread, I watched it for the first time, umm... I think it is apparent MAXI-BRUTE was made in reference to RED2. :unsure

Hello atom-san.

I'm very grateful to receive such kind words from someone as talented as you are.:)

I'm not sure what will be my next step. Probably I start to work on parts that go next to the guns supports. I think they come from a Tamiya Sherman.

An area that is beginning to worry me about is the bricks texture. I thought it would be easy to find something that would work in hobby shops, but the textures that sell for railroad modeling have little relief and I haven't found anything I like. If you or anyone knows a good solution, I appreciate suggestions.

Speaking now of the Maxi-Brute back plate, it seems clear that is based on Red-2. The shape of the rear end of the fuselage is very characteristic of this model… as you know very well.:love

I'm very glad to talk with you.:)
Best regards.

Rafa

Hello friends.

New updates:

1 - Sealab parts ended.

2 - First steps in building the Tamiya Sherman part. I did the grating using my scribbing tool on a piece of 1mm styrene.

3 - First attempt to get the hinges. To get the rounded shape of the bolts, I used a lighter, slightly approaching the flame to the end of a thin stretched plastic rod.

4 - The finished piece. Finally, I decided to make new hinges with unrounded bolts ends, because the heat rounded ones were too big.

5 - A full gun support. I think the E shaped piece is too thick (2.5 mm). Also lacks good height to accommodate the body of the guns. The base of the E shaped support is also too thick (2 mm), I think.:confused

6 - Until recently, I always thought that the guns were centered on its E shaped supports but, most models show that it isn't true. I have drawn this outline of how I think it's right but not absolutely sure. :confused

7 - Here I put some pictures of the different configurations that show the IL&M models.

As you can see, I'm not pretty sure about this question so, I'll appreciate any clarification.:confused

Thanks for looking.:)
Rafa

Attachments

• tamiya_sherman-04.jpg
    tamiya_sherman-04.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 475
  • tamiya_sherman-03.jpg
    tamiya_sherman-03.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 457
  • tamiya_sherman-02.jpg
    tamiya_sherman-02.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 426
  • tamiya_sherman-01.jpg
    tamiya_sherman-01.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 374
  • sealab-04.jpg
    sealab-04.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 419
Yes, that's the way I've always seen it imkold. It sits on the box-like part and the outter piece just stabilizes it.

Hello imkold and Scott.

I think both of you are right. I don't know why I've always wanted to see the guns more separated from the wings. But analyzing the images, I think it is as you say.

Thank you very much for your contribution.:)

Rafa

Good news!

The brick sheet that Scott Graham so generously sent me has come into my hands today.:)

What a blast! the relief is very good. Only the original stuff looks really like original stuff.

I have no words to thank enough the generosity and great help from Scott. Thanks to him, my long and laborious project is better now.

Thanks again to Scott and to this forum where I found so much valuable information and support.:love

Rafa

Attachments

• brick_sheet.jpg
    brick_sheet.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 741
  • sharp_detail.jpg
    sharp_detail.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 620
I'm glad to have helped, Rafa! :)

FYI: those outlines of the piece used on the wings are based on rubbings over the pyro casting I have. They might not be accurate for you!

Hi all.

During the past few weeks I've been pretty busy but I got some moments to continue my project.

I built all the pieces for the front engine (except the parts that goes into the inner wells of the wings).

No problem to dress the engine covers. Apollo parts only need a few extra panels applied with ease using self-adhesive vinyl tape. I pay much attention to fix the small mold defects in the striped sections of these pieces using a small triangular file.

Moreover I built the pieces that make the basis for the above, paying close attention to the thickness and the length of that base to match the original model. The semicircular front closure has the depth corresponding to a hero model, and I constructed the rear closure with thicker plastic to be a strong support for the rear engines.

The greeblies inside the intakes aren't any problem and just need to cut to the proper length.

The second halves of the intakes, which originally come from Sealab III kit, were entirely scratch built. This involved the need of bending some rectangles of styrene, and I've used the technique described in the attached image.

In these inner halves I've included the horizontal piece that makes the separation between the two halves and, in the background of these pieces, I also included the strip can be seen in the images of the original models.

Well, another little step that brings me closer to my goal.:cool

Thanks for looking.:)

Rafa

Attachments

• Engines_parts.jpg
    Engines_parts.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 832
  • comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 790
  • bending tip.jpg
    bending tip.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 926
  • strip.jpg
    strip.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 785
  • Inner_division.jpg
    Inner_division.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 813
Hi Imkold.

The intakes are made of three layers of Evergreen styrene:

The main layer is 1 mm.
The inner layer that forms the step is 0.5 mm.
And the two outside strips are 0.4 mm.

Greetings.
Rafa

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back