Ackbar, it's a trap!!! finished costume !!

mrbungle

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
i was commissioned to sculpt an ackbar mask and hands.

the sculpt is done out of waterbased clay. i am going to remove the eyes and make seperate molds for them. i also sculpted a tongue. we are going to try to animate the eyes and the mouth. i will be casting this out of silicone and backing it with foam flex 25. so the eyes lids should work. silicone is really soft. the norm is you sculpt the eyes closed if you are going to do animatronics. daniel valdez will be in charge of the animatronics. worse case is i have to resculpt the eyes, which is not that big of a deal.

here is the pics. almost done, i have to do some clean up work and we will be ready to mold.
here is short vid i made of the sculpt.

ackbar sculpt WIP - YouTube

ackbarwip1.jpg

ackbarwip3.jpg

ackbarwip4.jpg

ackbarwip2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Ackbar, it's a trap!!! Mask and gloves wip......

Looks freakin fantastic. :)
I thought the Flex Foam 25 leached so you could not wear it against your face. From all the tech data I have read anyway. Unless it's just for a static display?

that does look fantastic!! Ackbar is one of my favorite designs for creatures. (y)thumbsup

I thought the Flex Foam 25 leached so you could not wear it against your face. From all the tech data I have read anyway. Unless it's just for a static display?

It's an animatronic according to his post. :)

Sculpt looks AWESOME!

thanks

i have used foam flex it for my plo's and i have not read anything about it leachng after curing. i just reread the technical Information, now when curing you need to take precautions. several folks make armor out of the stuff.

most folks wear a underarmor hat or something , the whole thing will not be backed with foam flex it just the back ,top and some of the front.

Concentrate all firepower on that super star destroyer!

sorry I had to.
That is an awesome sculpt. blows the DP and rubies way out of the water.

Ok, I have not been a member for a long time but this is pretty boss. I had a cat named Akbar for a while. Named after this dude. :)

Good gawd! You sir, have done an incredible job with that sculpt!
I'm looking forward to seeing a painted up cast.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back