Does tube silicone stick to mold silicone?

SPS

Hi guys. Just wondering if any of you helpful dudes might know if silicone from a tube, the plumbing stuff, would stick to molding silicone? I'm hoping to use it to build up some areas of a mold I'm working on.
Any advice on pros/cons would be much appreciated.
Cheers - Chris

Sure does, I do it all the time to fill in undercuts. If tour moulding silicone is tin based, you can go over it with more moulding silicone. If your using a platinum based moulding silicone, make sure you use your plumbing silicone last and after the moulding silicone has completly cured otherwise the platinum will inhibit.

Thanks a heap fettster! The news I've been hoping to hear all day. Just got home from work and I was really hoping to make some more progress tonight. Off to the store I go...

Thanks again fettster. Just used it and it worked a treat. It's a fairly lumpy model, so I was able to create dams and such where I needed to. Should be a great way to save a couple of bucks too, using the tin silicone only where I have to. Thanks again.
Cheers - Chris

It also sticks to an insane level on those roll up keyboards, and silicone covered phone hand sets, as does Silly Putty!:rolleyes

Just ask my ex boss!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back