GI JOE 2: Retaliation: Snake Eyes Costume Info Thread

The ad makes it look way better than the first one. I'll go check this out in theatres. I totally approve of the sex change for "quick-kick" as well if that's what I'm looking at :)

Nice caps Nick! Looks like you're right about the material. I hope they release the sword, I love the black look to it!

I like the new mask, but I'm not sure how I feel about the rest of the costume. First things first...

CLOSE, BUT NO BANDOLIER/BALDRIC! :thumbsdown

I mean, seriously, why is it that he wore a baldric in the last movie, but not in this one? That's one of the signature things fans want to see in the design of his costume, ever since that showed up on the Version 2 costume back in the day!

But my biggest problems with the ninja costuming in this one are...
  1. Storm Shadow's still wearing that same crappy leather trenchcoat thing from the last film! When are they gonna wise up and just stick the man in a traditional shinobifuku, where he belongs? :confused
  2. Why, oh why, is Snake-Eyes' "sidekick" (and who is that, anyway? Kamakura? Jinx in a really poor choice of outfit?) during the cliff face battle with the red ninjas wearing BRIGHT YELLOW? :confused Save that crap for the Narutards, that sorta thing would get a REAL ninja KILLED! :thumbsdown

I hate to hijack this thread, per-say but when I saw the new trailer pics of snake eyes I immediately started working on the helmet pep file and just got finished. I will probably model the whole suit before it's said and done.

I interested to see what they do with firefly
He's in the trailer, played by Ray Stevenson (Rome, Punisher: War Zone, Thor). You can see him unmasked, hanging out with Cobra Commander & "President Zartan", & there's an extremely brief clip of him, mask on, getting hit in a fight. The look of his costume reminds me more of Firefly in G.I.*Joe: Renegades than the classic look for the character, with a big overcoat. I'll reserve my final judgment for when we've seen more footage of him, but so far, I'm not a fan of him running around unmasked. Much like Snake-Eyes, Beach Head, Cobra Commander, Destro, Judge Dredd, Boba Fett, and Master Chief John 117, the character's mask (or helmet, as the case may be) pretty much IS his face. We don't need to see him without it, In My Opinion.

Yay, they made the suit more like my snake eyes suit. Ray Park and I talked about him trying out for the role when he first saw my version of snake eyes at dragoncon. I didn't even know a GI Joe movie was coming out at that point. He loved my suit... after the movie came out, he said he hated his, except for the boots, and he wanted it more like mine. I think he just got a lot better! lol

IMGP2190.jpg

IMGP2223.jpg

IMGP2222.jpg

IMGP2192.jpg

IMGP2205.jpg

Rusty85 - Yeah the pics are on my thread in the junkyart at Pepakura files ***New Helmets files added*** They are on the last page.

Much prefer this suit to the first movie suit. It seems more tactical like TDK batman suit. Black on black makes it tough to see good detail. Snake Eyes Rocks, good luck with the build

And in case you forgot how weird the first one was.

816c06514edb0d7df0256483ab4303a1.jpg

The new visor is such a massive improvement. THe first one looked like weird 80's sunglasses.
gijoe_snake_eyes_1.jpg

gijoe_snake_eyes_5.jpg

So for sake of organizing costume info;

-Boots: They look to be different from those used in GI JOE ROC. If I'm not mistaken weren't the ones used in ROC, Oakley SI assaults? The new ones look (at least from the screen caps) like a hiking boot.

-Shirt: Form fitting w/ leather piping for rivets and some sort of "scale" under the arms.

-Pants: Look to be the same black BDU type used in ROC, but with stirrups added (don't know if this is just for the zip-line scene or not).

-Sword: Looks to be the same design as the ROC, minus the serrating but w/ a wood grip and blackened blade. Plus the clan symbol is moved down from the blade to the Habaki. The Saya looks to be different as well (matching the sword furniture changes?).

-Mask: Some type of urethane? Maybe using a fabric face, maybe not? The visor is totally different (i.e. BETTER)

-Armor: Something new, possibly a mix of the other JOEs armor pieces from the tac vests along with some original upper arm/forearm and back pieces, riveted to the shirt.

-Gear: Where to begin...

Nice work Dash! I wonder if there will be many found pieces aside from the pants and boots...

I'll start checking around to see if I can find any info on the boots.

The first suit it wasn't too bad just the lips, I believe under armor in the new suit he's wearing a motorcross armor jacket, then you rivet the Snake eyes armor on top of the jacket armor, that is my two cent ...like this one
Brand New FOX 3TH Raptor Armor Sports Armor Body Protection Safety Jacket | eBay
P.S. I'm not saying this is the suit it is just opinion.

Not sure about that; for the piping to work, it would have to be laid out to match the armor/rivets pieces exactly. It's possible they used something like that for the base and then added the piping?

At this time, I'd like to point out just where the first movie's suit design came from. Once you see the source material, the suit makes sense.

That suit's design was copied almost 100% from the paintings David Michael Beck did for Devil's Due Publishing about a decade ago:

SnakeEyesMovieComparison1.jpg

And during the opening action scene, the first time we see him in action, he's wearing an ammo pouch harness taken directly from Devil's Due's Snake-Eyes costume design for their modernized reboot G.I.*Joe Reloaded:

MovieSnake-EyesComparison.jpg

To be honest, I think they changed the costume a little TOO much for the new movie. I'm disappointed that they've eliminated the bandolier/baldric across the chest, as that's a signature look for Snake-Eyes. :unsure

Wow, they really did knock off David Beck's design verbatum! Even quirky muscle stuff was copied. Hope he got paid for that.

I just don't like the rubber suit look to it (I'm normally a a rubber suit fan, too!). Looks weird and restrictive especially when combined with regular pants. I wish they'd tuck the pants into some cool looking boots.

Wonky armpit wrinkles-
7530.jpg

Nick

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back