Judge Dredd ABC warrior references

nice finds, the ABC robot and the angle gang were to me the only good thing about that movie

pretty much! Them and the sets. I started making a ABC robot, got as far as one foot and had to put it aside. But it's funny how some projects just wont go away. I still want to get back to it, dug out my notes yesterday for a look through :) I think it's testimony to the amazing job they did with the manufacturing of the robot and they way they articulated it. Looks damned convincing on screen.

Oh well maybe one day I'll get back to this project sigh

I also find it comes down to money an time, at the moment I have the time but little money so I have researched the next build on paper and the computer its done worked out what I want and where to get it lol it keeps me busy till I have more funds to finish my current project

I also find it comes down to money an time, at the moment I have the time but little money so I have researched the next build on paper and the computer its done worked out what I want and where to get it lol it keeps me busy till I have more funds to finish my current project

Gothic what are you working on now?

halfway through judge fear http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241183

11.jpg

working on slaine a character from a comic called 2000ad its designed and built on paper and card

1968.jpg

Hey, that does look like an original sculpt - and a nice one at that!

welcome back to the thread that will not die! Yes I though it was a GA head but looking at it closely there's a few differences here and there it looks great. Hey Blax can you repost a pic of your head? The ABC one I mean :) Be nice to have a pic of it on the thread cheers!

Last edited:
Yep, it's one of the older threads that's still getting new info added. Here's a couple of pics of my scratch built ABC head. It's in my son's shop in Wellington at the moment. The eyes are wired with red LED's.
DSC03810.JPGDSC03811.JPGDSC03812.JPGDSC03813.JPGHammerstein_24_Dec_2012.jpgIMG_2957.JPGIMG_2959.JPGIMG_2960.JPG
Crikey, I was just thinking about how long this project took. I drew the profile by pausing a VHS video tape, then drawing with felt marker on some plastic stretched over the front of the tv set. Then it joined the horde of half-finished projects in the shed for a few years before it got resurrected.

Hey, Oot, thanks for jogging my memory on this! :)

Cheers Blax that's a nice head you made! Clever way of getting dimensions for the head. It's a lot easier now thanks to the awesome photos from Art Andrews and Vince Vader, and dimensions from Zorg (thanks to both!).

I've finally started making my own ABC head having pretty much abandoned any plans to make the full robot. I just don't have time to do it but there's something about the design and execution of the sculpt that is very compelling. I've never been able to let this project go completely hence the head.

It's an awesome sculpt whoever did it knew what they were doing! there's lots of intersecting angle and planes making it quite a tricky but enjoyable project.

Here's a WIP of my ABC head still got a loooong way to go

20160513_114941.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! Looking forward to getting up your way to check it out!

Cool! I forgot to mention in my post that I am using (stealing) your method for building up the head: layers of 18mm mdf covered in polyester. The lines in the mdf are useful for keeping symmetry so nice one Blaxmyth cheers :)

I found that when I was in the carving phase, that sanding sealer was great for holding the fibres in place and stopping the MDF going all furry on the end grain. The sanding sealer was easier to cut back with some coarse sand paper, but the polyester was better for forming a really tough outer coat when the main shape was roughed out.

I found that when I was in the carving phase, that sanding sealer was great for holding the fibres in place and stopping the MDF going all furry on the end grain. The sanding sealer was easier to cut back with some coarse sand paper, but the polyester was better for forming a really tough outer coat when the main shape was roughed out.

It's a nice technique the polyester does sand up very well. I've got a lot of bogging and sanding to do but I'm pretty happy with the overall shape of the head. I'm thinking about molding it at some stage so I'm going to leave the ears and the temple plates removeable. I like the idea of adding in some electronics (eventually)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back