Judge Dredd ABC warrior references

Small WIP. This will end up being my build thread I guess rather than starting another one. Started the slow labourious process of smoothing the head out. I've got a few adjustments to make including the eye shape which is a bit flat at the bottom of the head and the brow which I can't quite get right yet. I think I might need to shift the eyebrows a bit and of course each change affects the other elements of the eyes. Still its a fun project glad to be tackling a part of the robot that I can actually finish

20160516_150608.jpg

Last edited:
Bit more on this. Still haven't quite got the eyes where I want them yet but a lot closer. The one on the left is a bit angular at the bottom. At the brow need s to come forward a bit. Otherwise I'm nearly at spot putty time ya hoo!
20160520_153309.jpg

Last edited:
Not a hell of a lot to see round the back at this stage. I've mucked about with the brow again and the eyes a bit more, still stuffing around trying to get it to look right. It looks good with the lower jaw

20160528_160246.jpg

more and less blurry pics soon!

Last edited:
That is looking really impressive now. When the glowing eyes are set in place, it will really have a sinister expression.

Are you going to sculpt in the bulge on the bottom side just behind the front teeth?

Cheers Blax. Yeah I've got the piece of mdf ready to go for when I've finished up the main body. I think the brow might be slightly more arched than the real one but I think it's close enough :)

What did you use for eyes? and for lighting?

Red LEDs with the wires run through a 1/4 inch hole drilled straight back from each eye socket. These met up with holes drilled from underneath. Ran a zip tie with a curved end to lead the wires through.

I think I used half a roll-on deodorant ball for the eyes, but I'm not sure. If I was redoing it, I'd just vacform over a large marble and vac another layer on top of that for eyelids.

cool thanks yeah LEDS should nicely. Good idea about the marble! I might have some domes around that will do the trick but vac forming over them is a nice way to get a eyelid. I was thinking also about the discs the eyes sit on. I figure I might make one up and mold it rather than going the laser cutting route. For the temple details I'm going to get a Tamiya kitset for some of the details ands scratch the rest

Well, the RPF is our local workshop, pretty much. There aren't that many of us Kiwi RPF'ers, and we're scattered all over the North and South Islands. There are a few other prop builders locally, but the RPF is what binds us together.... it flows through us.... :D

Very nice work...for a bunch of Kiwis;).....have you hooked up into RPF local workshops?

ha ha cheers Yaris. Yeah pretty much as Blax said small scattered groups of rpf-ness. Also very typical to New Zealand there are only about 3 degrees of separation between everybody over here :)

On the ABC head front I've added some more material to the bottom of the jaw to get a better proportion. Weird the image I used looked right but when I compare to others my jaw piece was definitely too short. Head's almost done just the annoying bumps and dings that never seem to go away then I can start some detail lines etc

More pics soon!

ok here's the jaw pretty much ready to go just need to find some bolts for the teeth. I'm figuring a 6mm or 7mm bolt head should do.

Having trouble getting the camera on my phone to focus must be something about to do with the light or something

20160528_160112 (548x640).jpg

20160528_160133 (360x640).jpg
I'll take more pics from different angles when there's something to see!

Last edited:
a few more blurry WIP pics. Got the bulge-thing under the head done. Not sure if I got it quite right it's close but I might need t make it a bit thinner. I've taped it under the head so it will be easy to adjust after I've put the pistons in.

I finished the ears too but everything looks a bit weird as I've not done the detail lines yet. The ears look too big at the moment but again I think I'm close to where it needs to be

20160528_160157 (640x466).jpg

Last edited:
Spot on! Ears look to be the right size, and the robo-epiglottis makes it look complete. Regretting not doing it on my build now.

Spot on! Ears look to be the right size, and the robo-epiglottis makes it look complete. Regretting not doing it on my build now.

If I end up molding this I'll send you one!

I'm hopefully going to get time to detail the head tomorrow but I've been thinking about how to do the pistons. I've noticed that they al have swivel joints on them; any thoughts about what to use? They're kind of like a swivel joint you'd find in a socket set or something.

Rick H looks like he found something close for his:

wait maybe I should message him! :)

after a little look around the web I think they might be from radio controlled cars. They look a bit like universal joints on the driveshafts of the cars.

Looks like they would be easy to get hold of, especially if you know anyone who races RC cars. Mitre10, etc have aluminium tubes which nest one inside the other as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back