Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member EIDesignStudio's Avatar
    From
    NY
    May 19, 2012, 6:00 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #76

not as far as yet I have to reclean the lines on the head and double check the the fit
    OOta you hava a pm
    From
    New Zealand
    Jul 6, 2012, 9:06 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #77

Just added the excellent pep files from Blaxmyth to the first post
    From
    NE Florida
    Jul 7, 2012, 12:19 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #78

Awesome, Oota!

Rob
    From
    New Zealand
    Jul 7, 2012, 4:05 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #79

Thanks Ghost when I finally get time to build this beast this thread is going to be damned useful!

added dmpsk8's beautiful paint job to the list
    From
    New Zealand
    Oct 12, 2012, 5:05 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #80

Found an assembly instruction clip on you tube. Not sure how useful the assembly instructions are but it does give you some views of the underside of the head so would be useful for a scratchbuild
    From
    Memphis, TN
    Oct 12, 2012, 11:35 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #81

allways loved the design of this model made me get into reading 2000ad thank you for compiling a list of resources for it.
    From
    New Zealand
    Oct 14, 2012, 3:24 AM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #82

no worries McGraph! I have actually finally started building this beast. I'll put pics up soon I promise
  8. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    From
    United Kingdom
    Nov 10, 2012, 11:54 AM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #83

Hello chaps,

Many years ago I worked on an original ABC Warrior, this was after the film was made and the Warrior was required for some promotional tours. Some of the electronics in the head wasn't working and so I was asked if I could fix it. I took some reference photos at the time which I've just unearthed today during a clearout, If you're interested I could scan the photos and upload them.

They might be of use to some of you builders out there.

Vince.
  9. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Nov 10, 2012, 12:18 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #84

VinceVader said: View Post
    Hello chaps,

Many years ago I worked on an original ABC Warrior, this was after the film was made and the Warrior was required for some promotional tours. Some of the electronics in the head wasn't working and so I was asked if I could fix it. I took some reference photos at the time which I've just unearthed today during a clearout, If you're interested I could scan the photos and upload them.

They might be of use to some of you builders out there.

Vince.
    you should def release these photos i know a few people making these alone..
  10. RPF Premium Member Blaxmyth's Avatar
    From
    Wanganui, New Zealand
    Nov 10, 2012, 1:40 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #85

Yes, please! I'd love to see these pictures. Thanks for the kind offer.
  11. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    From
    United Kingdom
    Nov 10, 2012, 4:19 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #86

Here you go, I hope they're useful, I remember the head was mounted on a 6 axis gimble driven off linear actuators so it had quite a range of movement. These actuators were removed after the film and replaced with solid rods. He was incredibly lightweight and all the armour only had a hard top skin and the rest of the baulk was made up out of foam. You can see this under the shoulder pads.

You can also see the mechanism inside the head to change the eye colours from orange to red, it was just a simple servo driven plastic drum with two different coloured gels attached.

If I come across anymore I'll let you know.

Vince.
  12. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    From
    United Kingdom
    Nov 10, 2012, 4:40 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #87

Just found two more tucked away in the back of the album:

Happy building,

Vince.
  13. RPF Premium Member Blaxmyth's Avatar
    From
    Wanganui, New Zealand
    Nov 10, 2012, 5:38 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #88

Wow! Just - Wow!

Thanks so much indeed, Vince! These are a treasure trove of information, especially for the interior shots of the head.

Oota Goota - have you picked your jaw up off the floor yet?
  14. RPF Premium Member EIDesignStudio's Avatar
    From
    NY
    Nov 10, 2012, 7:59 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #89

Thanks for posting these. I had fired off a huge amount of emails so i can gain the permission to remake this in a kit form not the static model that is on the market and is far from screen proof.. If and when you can would you send me a pm with some info on who I could contact on this. I have gotten a lot done on mind have not posted much on my thread due to health reason. when you mentioned a Gimble setup make me think of the kind in a rotor head design . I have a alot of them laying around collecting dust.. Any info would be great. I know others besides me have alot of time in this. I have the main head set aside of my friends ready to be casted with the updates. And the picture of the servo set up is the same I have drawn up. Thanks for bringing new light to this project for us.
    From
    New Zealand
    Nov 11, 2012, 12:40 AM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #90

VINCEVADER YOU ROCK!!!!

Thank you very much dude those shots are invaluable, there's so much detail there that none of us have seen before and is not present on the kitset. For me the best are the hands, feet and torso shots. HOT DAMN!

The shots are also useful in that is does show that the kitset is pretty faithful to the prop and so is still a good base for proportions and some of the detail.

Where were these shots taken? If you find anymore PLEASE share

Cheers and thanks
    Oota
    From
    New Zealand
    Nov 11, 2012, 12:51 AM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #91

Also VinceVader I'm sure we would all be grateful and VERY interested in anything else you can recall about the build or the Robot.
    From
    New Zealand
    Nov 11, 2012, 1:02 AM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #92

aliendred said: View Post
    you should def release these photos i know a few people making these alone..

Hey Aliendred any chance you can convince them to show their work on the rpf? Be great to have a few more ABC builders here
  18. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    From
    United Kingdom
    Nov 11, 2012, 5:48 AM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #93

Hi oota goota,

Glad you like the photos, better they're on here than tucked away in an old album in the back of a wardrobe.

The photos were taken at the late Nick Harrison's 'Weird & Wonderful' workshop at Elstree Film Studios back when Elstree was derelict and run down, Nick was the only outfit operating out of that site and he was desperately trying to get the Studios resurrected again. I've got some more photos of his workshop which I can post later.

On a hunt around the Studios at the time I found some very interesting old derelict Star Wars items which were still laying around in old abandoned sheds, but that's a whole other story.

I've got some other photos which will make clear the mechanism used to articulate the torso and neck. If I've got more time later today I'll post those photos with an explanation - stay tuned.

Vince.
    From
    NE Florida
    Nov 11, 2012, 6:30 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #94

oota goota said: View Post
    VINCEVADER YOU ROCK!!!!

Thank you very much dude those shots are invaluable, there's so much detail there that none of us have seen before and is not present on the kitset. For me the best are the hands, feet and torso shots. HOT DAMN!

The shots are also useful in that is does show that the kitset is pretty faithful to the prop and so is still a good base for proportions and some of the detail.

Where were these shots taken? If you find anymore PLEASE share

Cheers and thanks
    Oota
    ^^^THIS X 2!!^^^
    Rob
  20. RPF Premium Member EIDesignStudio's Avatar
    From
    NY
    Nov 11, 2012, 10:12 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #95

OK I studied the pics I can see most of the what the head was wired like. I count one Servo but I'm counting 2 links the one I looking into is on the bottom on a servowheel running to the front I have them highlighted . Unless you or the orginal maker did a Bell hiller setup I'm a little until I cut the head apart and work it from there. It does not look like the eye's had movement I figure the White tubes are there do hold some little candle lights. If I'm wrong please correct me. If you don't understand what I mean about the bell set up I can post pictures of mine..

OK I was wrong the Wheel on the bottom is not a servo wheel if you look at the other pictures you will notice that there is a piston that connects to the middle of the jaw I believe this is the upper mount for it . I thought it was a servo wheel cause I saw a link looking like it ran to it. but if it was a servo wheel it would not be atached in that way. Sorry for the typos. I have not had my Morning starbucks...

Last edited by EIDesignStudio; Nov 16, 2012 at 8:38 AM. Reason: Update MAde a boo-boo
    From
    New Zealand
    Nov 12, 2012, 12:04 AM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #96

VinceVader said: View Post
    Hi oota goota,

Glad you like the photos, better they're on here than tucked away in an old album in the back of a wardrobe.

The photos were taken at the late Nick Harrison's 'Weird & Wonderful' workshop at Elstree Film Studios back when Elstree was derelict and run down, Nick was the only outfit operating out of that site and he was desperately trying to get the Studios resurrected again. I've got some more photos of his workshop which I can post later.

On a hunt around the Studios at the time I found some very interesting old derelict Star Wars items which were still laying around in old abandoned sheds, but that's a whole other story.

I've got some other photos which will make clear the mechanism used to articulate the torso and neck. If I've got more time later today I'll post those photos with an explanation - stay tuned.

Vince.
    Thanks Vince for sharing this I would have loved to have been there . Those additional photo's of the mechanisms will be invaluable. I've also seen a couple of places where I can improve my build so those pics are already bearing fruit if you know what I mean.

Man this thread just got a whole lot more interesting!

Hey those star wars pics sounds very intruiging too!
    From
    NE Florida
    Nov 12, 2012, 3:02 PM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #97

oota goota said: View Post
    Hey those star wars pics sounds very intruiging too!
    Yes, Vince...I have to agree with Oota!

Rob
  23. RPF Premium Member EIDesignStudio's Avatar
    From
    NY
    Nov 16, 2012, 8:38 AM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #98

I updated my post # 94
    From
    New Zealand
    Dec 5, 2012, 12:11 AM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #99

Hey VinceVader if you are lurking on this thread, do you remember anything about the heel of the robot?

The 1/9th scale model has all this extra mechanical stuff offset from the back of the foot, wheels, springs etc etc. Do you remember if there was anything on the prop that might have indicated that this stuff existed? I can see from the pics you posted there's nothing there

Cheers
    Oota
    From
    In Th' wheat fields somewhere in Dorothy land
    Dec 5, 2012, 12:53 AM - Re: Judge Dredd ABC warrior references #100

Wow!!!! Those are some great photos vince hey guy's keep up th' good work.